997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Honda uses MAP (speed density) and Porsche uses MAF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:01 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Honda uses MAP (speed density) and Porsche uses MAF?

I was just wondering why my 997tt uses an MAF (as do a lot of OEM manufacturers) and yet something as budget as a Honda Fit runs speed density.

I was under the impression that speed density setups were superior to MAF based systems. Given all the headaches and extra maintenance an MAF introduces into a system....I would imagine the Honda way would of been more commonplace.

Do Porsche race engines still use MAF based fuel injection?

Old 02-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche moved away from using MAF sensors on the 997.2. Airflow is entirely modeled and not true coming off a sensor. They only use TMAP sensors. 997.1 and earlier are MAF based but you can tune with speed density instead.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Does it cost extra to switch over to speed density when going with a Cobb AP pro tune?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
We wouldn't charge but its best to let your tuner know that you'd like to do a MAF-less tune ahead of time. Having said that on a 997 the stock airbox is a great design so getting rid of them isn't necessary and you're actually better off having them for true airflow readings. We still happily run them with our A3076s

Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
996tt used both maf and map...I cant recall for 997.1tt but I suppose it did so as well...

Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Former Vendor
You're right

Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM
the dual setup is usually using the map sensor for boost control....the ecu/dme is still using MAF for fuel injection purposes. That is why leaks in system cause so many issues. In MAF setup the air was already recorded as having come into the system...so when it leaks out before combustion its just bad.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Interesting to know...
So my car and other protomotive tuned cars which run with fenderwell intakes operate with a gimped boost control? So if I were to switch to cobb tuning for any reason, boost control would still be very limited?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 PM
TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !
Subscribed. I'm running a MAFless Proto tune.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Former Vendor
Agreed. Great explanation Tony.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Thanks. Its unfortunate the misinformation that has been "released" about mafless tuning.

A few years ago we felt the pressure to release "mafless" tunes. At this point if would rather lose a sale over it then to do something I know is not the correct why to get it done.
I think its really just the typical mods on the 996 intake and MAF limitations that should be blamed for people carrying it over to the 997. Many people end up blindly following the same path they do with a 996 and apply it to the 997s without considering what was already taken care of for them at the factory (i.e. far improved intake, twin fuel pumps, dual MAFs on the 997). Blame it on the "more mods = more power" mentality its unfortunate to say the least. Certain hardware vendors are also to blame for polluting the 997 market with either simply inferior or unnecessary modifications compared to OEM as well furthering muddying it up

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 02-26-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Mitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of light
Has anyone looked at larger Bosch MAF sensors? I know this is quite common for other cars.

Even if new pipe work has to be modified. It's pretty straightforward.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:05 AM
TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !TheInfamousDrew Is a GOD !
After speaking with Tony@EPL for a bit yesterday, I plugged my MAFs back in.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Tony....thank you for enlightening the community!!!!