997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Camshaft Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Trauma is on a distinguished road
Camshaft Sensor

So the check engine light popped on and the DME reads a camshaft sensor issue. Anyone know what this entails? I spoke with my mechanic, whom I trust, and he said its likely a solenoid that needs replacing. The solenoid is involved with upper-end performance, and may impact the car's overall performance. He does not think it is critical.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-25-2015, 07:35 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
What was the code ? hopefully not this known issue with our cars that i had ,which usually starts with cam sensor issues .

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...yone-else.html

Last edited by twturbo; 03-25-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:43 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Trauma
So the check engine light popped on and the DME reads a camshaft sensor issue. Anyone know what this entails? I spoke with my mechanic, whom I trust, and he said its likely a solenoid that needs replacing. The solenoid is involved with upper-end performance, and may impact the car's overall performance. He does not think it is critical.

Any thoughts?
P0021 or 11 is the usual code for the dreaded spun camshaft issue. Before I would drop that kind of money, I would clean, check, and/or replace the two Variocam Actuator valves. May also chek that your oil is the right type/grade (0W40)...and full.

Good luck!
DC

Old 03-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Trauma is on a distinguished road
So the fault code is 0021, and its off to the shop next week. i've read about pinning versus camshaft replacement, and also that this may be a simple sensor fix and reset. I'm bracing myself for the worst. Fortunately I have a good shop here in Florida that can do the camshaft replacement if it is needed.

I am out of warranty, and was wondering if anyone has a fair estimate of total cost for camshaft replacement from a good indy shop (not dealer)...

Old 03-26-2015, 06:34 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
So the fault code is 0021, and its off to the shop next week. i've read about pinning versus camshaft replacement, and also that this may be a simple sensor fix and reset. I'm bracing myself for the worst. Fortunately I have a good shop here in Florida that can do the camshaft replacement if it is needed.

I am out of warranty, and was wondering if anyone has a fair estimate of total cost for camshaft replacement from a good indy shop (not dealer)...
Most end up running between $5K - $8K. Also, if you pin the cams you no longer have VarioCam issue (Spinning)...They are pinned in position.

This is quite a job and requires engine removal and many components to come out.

DC

Last edited by therock88; 08-06-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Luxembourger is on a distinguished road
Rock et al,
Grateful for all your contributions to this forum. I have learned quiet a lot through this channel about these fantastic machines!

Originally Posted by therock88
Also, if you pin the cams you no longer have VarioCam...They are pinned in position.
I would like to understand this better: what would be fixed exactly via pinning?

Reviewed Porsche's Animation re Variocam:

Hopeful that pinning would not fix the (cam to crankshaft) phase angle of the camshaft, else it would have a dramatic effect on engine performance. If I understand this correctly, the angle adjustment as shown at 0.24 in the video (ie. advance/retard settings) is controlled by the solenoid by adjusting the position of the actuator/phaser/sproket.

Also reviewed the mechanics of the oil pressure controlled valve timing systems:

Questions
- What would be pinned to what exactly?
- Would pinning the cams have an effect on the Variocam?
- What is the foreseen impact on the digital valve lift mechanism (Variocam Plus) as shown at 1:00 in the video?

Last edited by Luxembourger; 08-05-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !

My car had this issue at 4,000 miles... I'm thankful that it happened under warranty. I would think $5-$6k at an indy. The dealership bill would have been just north of $10k had it not happened under warranty.

I would look at this as an opportunity, have your engine disassembled - do sleeves, pistons, head porting, and cams while you're in there. If you plan on keeping the car for a while it will be worth it, as most of it is duplicated labor for the job they will be doing. Also have the coolant fittings pins/welded as has been discussed here previously.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by Luxembourger
Rock et al,
Grateful for all your contributions to this forum. I have learned quiet a lot through this channel about these fantastic machines!

I would like to understand this better: what would be fixed exactly via pinning?

Questions
- What would be pinned to what exactly?
- Would pinning the cams have an effect on the Variocam?
- What is the foreseen impact on the digital valve lift mechanism (Variocam Plus) as shown at 1:00 in the video?
My post should have said VarioCam issue...I edited it above.

The process(es) is proprietary and not shared....but basically the sleeve that the cam rotates within is pinned in place (the head) so it cannot "spin" again and cause the holes to become out of line.

Those that have had it done have reported no problems to my knowledge, and the process seems to work well. No negative affect on the VarioCam operation..

DC

Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Luxembourger is on a distinguished road

The process(es) is proprietary and not shared....but basically the sleeve that the cam rotates within is pinned in place (the head) so it cannot "spin" again and cause the holes to become out of line.

Those that have had it done have reported no problems to my knowledge, and the process seems to work well. No negative affect on the VarioCam operation..

DC
Good news. Thanks!

I would want to have this done - would someone be able to provide guidance on the said process(es)? based in Europe...

Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
The only way I can envision it is pinning right through the oil orifice itself with some sort of hollow pin where the inner diameter is equal to original orifice and outer diameter would depend on strength of material of the hollow pin itself.

DC