997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

spewing noise - what is it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Raider89 is on a distinguished road
spewing noise - what is it?

As a reminder, I am newbie to Porsche. Had the car out for drive this morning. At one point, I was pulling away very aggressively on to highway from slow speed up thru gears (am guessing as high as ~5500 rpm). At top end of 5th gear, felt distinct hesitation at same time as spewing noise. Backed off and drove normal. Then in an effort to see what that was, anytime I accelerate hard, the spewing noise and hesitation happens. Seems like some type of turbo boost blowoff or something. Any ideas where I should look?
Thanks,

Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Two typical places...

1. Down by the rear tires where the hose goes from the turbo to the intercooler.
2. In the engine bay where the metal Y pipe connects to the rubber hoses (all three connections at the pipe)

Good luck.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:34 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Agree with above. Likely popped off a boost hose. You have two connections at the Y-pipe that you can see in the engine bay...two at the cool side turbos that you can see from under the bumper cover...and two at each side of each of the intercoolers (these snap in with a ring and you can push on the upper one where it exits the engine bay...should press very hard and hear a loud snap).

Also could be the big hose where the Y-pipe goes in to the throttle body/plenum.

DC

Last edited by therock88; 05-25-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Is this a common problem for these cars assuming pipes properly installed? Meaning, is this a purposeful weak link and should expect it to happen again? I am quickly approaching my first track day in a few weeks and it would definitely **** me off if that happens during that session. Is it potentially damaging to other parts or just limiting engine performance?
thanks,

Old 05-25-2015, 01:34 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
based on the title, I thought you must have watched Yumavericks video of his 1/2 mile run?

Old 05-25-2015, 02:31 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Raider89
Is this a common problem for these cars assuming pipes properly installed? Meaning, is this a purposeful weak link and should expect it to happen again? I am quickly approaching my first track day in a few weeks and it would definitely **** me off if that happens during that session. Is it potentially damaging to other parts or just limiting engine performance?
thanks,
It's a common problem when the hoses are put on too loose, or not clipped in place correctly. A lot of times people are used to dealing with normally aspirated cars and don't tighten the clamps enough. It's not that you have to put a death grip on the clamps, but it does take more than intake piping on an NA car. Just take a quick look at it and follow the intake air from the each turbocharger to the intercoolers, and from the intercoolers to the Y-pipe, and Y-pipe to the throttle body. Make sure all of those connections are correctly seated/tightened, and you'll probably never have a problem again.

If you run around wide open throttle with a leak it can damage the turbo, as it will be spinning much faster than intended. In this case a small/medium leak is more dangerous than a completely disconnected hose. When they come completely off you'll know - just stay out of boost and the car will drive fine until you have a safe place to pull over and fix it.

Last edited by rix; 05-25-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:18 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
thanks,
As mentioned. Only common when they are not installed properly - properly lined up and fastened tight enough. I have attached pics below of where to look.

Good luck,
DC

Old 05-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Definitely found at least one problem. The large short hose going from Y-pipe to throttle body was off closest at the Y. The clamp had slid back onto rubber hose. Certainly did not leave much room for maneuvering my big hands.

As always, everyone's help was greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Definitely found at least one problem. The large short hose going from Y-pipe to throttle body was off closest at the Y. The clamp had slid back onto rubber hose. Certainly did not leave much room for maneuvering my big hands.

As always, everyone's help was greatly appreciated.
Yup, that's a big one . If you continue to have problems an old trick is to put a little hairspray along the inner lip of the hose then put it on. Kind of like loc-tite for intercooler plumbing.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:56 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
You should have also got a check engine light.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Never got a check engine light or any indication on dash. I did switch dash view to turbo boost and I could see it drop off when noise started.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
I did when mine came off. I was installing my exhaust and did not secure it. It triggered the engine light since the air mass sensor was not getting= pressure in intake. But whatever it does not really matter since you fixed it.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Never got a check engine light or any indication on dash. I did switch dash view to turbo boost and I could see it drop off when noise started.
Yes...Depending on various conditions, you may or may not get an error code.

DC

Old 05-28-2015, 12:41 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
I've had this issue. Had endless trouble with the Y pipe on the track; it kept popping loose under load and then the hose clamp snapped. I found a hose clamp that would fit, but it was still leaking under load. Managed to limp home ok, and ended up removing the Y pipe and rubber hose, cleaning it all to remove any lubricant (I think my mechanic put some on to attach it?)/oil, drying and reattaching with new hose clamps. It has held like this for a week. As an aside, I attached it at the Y pipe end first, to make sure it was aligned properly and would hold. Made it a b!tch to get back on but not impossible. I think the lube was part of the problem as it definitely won't budge now.

I used a rubber safe engine cleaner to get rid of all the contaminants, and employed a follicle focused drying system...

My car has 114,000km's, and my mechanic told me there was no other option than replacing the rubber hoses, as the beads had worn out. I call BS to this, I speculate that they just need a clean and to be put on dry.

Last edited by nzskater; 05-28-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:36 PM
drivingon9 is on a distinguished road
Yikes : "at the top end of 5th gear" on the highway.... just sayin'