997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Thinking of buying a built 930

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:02 PM
NBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud of
Thinking of buying a built 930

Hey guys, I'm seriously considering getting rid of my 997 and buying or building a hot rod air-cooled car. I bought the car a year ago and kicked around every idea from basic bolt-ons to a soup to nuts motor build. I've since picked up my first air-cooled car and I love that little car so much that I can't stay out of it. This is an issue since I bought it as a semi investment piece to hold for the next 10 years or so.

The shifter is deliberate, the clutch firm and predictable and the brakes take some effort but have a great feel. My 997 feels over engineered to a fault compared to the older car. It's bigger, heavier, and while an amazing car it is a completely different experience. Adding to my current malaise is the fact that I've wanted a badass built 930 since I was a kid. I had an 11sec Mitsubishi Eclipse in college and the only bad beat I took in that car was to a Prototech built 3.8 car with big twins.

I'm only considering Prototech or Protomotive big twin conversions. Those guys built a ton of those cars back in the day and I know David still does and I'm sure Todd would if I sent him a car and a check.

General or specific advice appreciated. If you've gone from one platform to the other I'd love to hear your thoughts. If you think I'm stupid, insane, or some combination of both please chime in I know a 600+hp 930 is going to be an evil double edged sword of a beast of a car that very may well scare me right into the vintage Cadillac scene. I know I'll probably miss worry free road trips at triple digit speeds with one finger on the wheel. But I've got an itch I think I need to scratch. That or I'm nuts.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:54 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
How will it deal with the NM Summers? I'd like to build a 930/964/993 one of these days, too.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:05 PM
NBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud of
One of the cars I'm looking at has two aftermarket big oil fans than run all the time. Prototech is in S Florida and they have mod set ups for keeping the motor cool as well as big aftermarket AC units that blow cold like a modern car.

Santa Fe is at 7k ft though, it's nothing like what you guys get in AZ. I was in Scottsdale last month and that is a different level. We get a few weeks of low 90s in June and once the monsoons hit it cools things off significantly.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:50 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Been there with a 930 15 years ago. Carrillo rods on a 3.4 twin plug, big turbo motor. Loved it but hard to control with that power. Lots of concentration when rear get wiggly.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:45 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by au2bahn
Lots of concentration when it gets fun.
Fixed

Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Awesome project would love to do something like that. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:43 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen
Fixed
Better!!

Old 08-25-2016, 05:06 PM
iwantoneofthose is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never had a 930, but having had many air cooled 911's before (still have a '72) and now the 997, there is nothing like driving an air cooled car. However, 930s were known as widow makers for good reason, and even good drivers can get into trouble without all the safety nannys the modern cars have, even more so when you double the power output. Also, yes, it's more fune, but it's more tiring as well. Long road trips will require more stops, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. But probably no more one finger steering at triple digit speeds...

I'd say do it...it's easier to find another 997.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:10 PM