997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2 weeks in...rattles and breaks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 PM
kungfufishing will become famous soon enough
2 weeks in...rattles and breaks?

I purchased a brand new 09 C4 MT, loaded with the exception of full leather, about two weeks ago. Got it for 78 and change. Intent is daily driver use. At this point, I have fairly mixed emotions.

Driving dynamic is fantastic. Everything I wanted to get back to (my first cars were rebuilt british roadsters - MG, triumph etc. and I followed that up with a 350z). Love the brakes, love the steering feel, the ridiculous things the C4 can do with a corner. Fantastic. I've wanted one for the longest time.

Back to the point. This thing rattles and buzzes more than any car I've ever driven. Just as loud inside and far more rattles than the Nissan I drove for four years. Far, far more than the 335i I rapidly bored of before trading up to this car. If porsche is suggesting that I'm paying this much money purely for the sublime suspension, brakes, handling and nice motor attached, well, they are wrong. I expect this thing to be built like a brick sh*thouse, to use a local term, for that much money. I was somewhat surprised even at the test drive at how much more car for the money the bmw provided, and that is coming from a guy who wanted a 911 his entire life and would have preferred to stay out of a 3 series his entire life.

I'm fine with a firm ride, but the rest of the car needs to be set up for a firm ride, too. Particularly if you want that much money for it - if you are talking pure performance, there are lots of other cars that may also rattle but at least would cost less. Which slowly brings me back around to my point - if the actual act of driving it weren't annoying the hell out of me when not fiendishly happy on my local curvy roads, I'd be happy as a clam. All I want is a car that doesn't sound like it is falling apart when I hit a bump after 800 miles of ownership - because I definitely hear it every single time and think "you just paid 80 grand so you have that rattle...worth it?"

Every time I hit a bump, there is an accompanying rattle which is either in the rear deck or sunroof. I'm thinking it is the sunroof, although my ears tell me it is in the rear deck over the passenger's wheel well. If I hit bumps and support the sunroof, no noise, but this could be conicidental. I would not have spec'd a sunroof, but it was on the lot with one.

The front speaker grills in the dash buzz almost constantly. Driving me crazy.

At speed, the wind whistle which I assume is coming off the mirror is quite audible - I joke to myself about the tempest that must be outside or "..twister's a comin'..." - sounds like the window isn't quite sealed but I can't find anything overtly wrong with it.

Speaking of sound, I am hoping this is related to the newness/tightness of the engine, but after startup and often just around town, the sound behind me sounds a lot more like downshifting an old column shift pickup (whiiiiiiinnnnne) than anything else I can think of.

To top that off, on the 3rd day of ownership, the **** that controls the mirrors popped off in my hand while I was trying to adjust them while getting my seating position right. The service guy acted like I was some kind of moron for being a little dissatisfied with this entire package and even wrote on the sheet "customer's first porsche".

So, are all of these things to be expected?

Now, let me further explain, I have always enjoyed sportscars. I like them because I really do like driving, not posing. However, when you start charging that much money for admission I would expect it to be well put together. I came really close to buying a Zo6 a few years back (that is a monster although not sure it is a daily driver) and decided against it because of build quality issues and the turn in felt like I was driving a larger car...which I was. I'd test driven lots of porsches before I bought this one and I don't remember lots of rattles. I actually think the cayman S may be the best one but my wife hated it. The old 350z is slower, but loud, stiff 2 seater and it rattled over big bumps but not for the first two years of ownership. My point is I am not a track guy but I wouldn't say I'm a soft poseur and understand what I just bought. But it should not buzz and rattle with every road imperfection, to the point that I first considered returning it within 48 hours of purchase - a purchase which left me sleepless with excitement.

thoughts?

Last edited by kungfufishing; 10-02-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:03 PM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
I get the sunroof rattle occasionally - but mostly not. It did sound like it was coming from the rear until I did the same experiment and figured out what it was.

During cold weather I used to get an annoying rattle out of the drivers side dash - but a mention to the dealer and they adjusted something last service and it's hasn't come back for 10k miles.

As far as if it rattles or buzzes more - not for me. What I have found is it is so tightly built I do notice any rattles or buzzes more than I normally would, - like, there used to be a rattle coming from by the passenger seat when no one was in it, until I figured out it was the seat belt rattling up against the seat, adjusted it and it's gone.

I would give your dealer a chance to remedy what annoys you, and give the car time to settle in. I have never owned a car that as consistantly puts a smile on my face when I drive it, and I couldn't do that if it were rattling and buzzing away...

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you get it figured out so you enjoy it as much on the straights as the curves!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
As a new owner of a leftover '08 Cab, I sympathize with your experiences. Unfortunately, I think that we are, in fact, paying all of this money for the sublime handling and suspension. I bought this car on the heels of a leased 335i convertible, and there is no comparison between the fit/finish of BMW vs Porsche, especially given the price. However, I went into the purchase expecting this type of experience so I am not regretting the purchase. If it were my only car and a daily driver I think it would be more difficult to live with, but as it is it's a blast to drive and with the top down I don't hear the rattles.
Good luck. I sympathize, but I'm afraid we've entered into a love-hate relationship that, once experienced, is going to be difficult to live without.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
No rattles in my 09. None. If I hit a bump, everything hits that bump in harmony.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I am strongly considering taking some hit on this thing and getting a new m3 at 0.9% - could save me 20K on the total cost of the car. However, I have to drive the M3 first. If it is close I'll probably do it. Already tried taking this back to the dealer but I was alarmingly unimpressed - the service guy did not take me all that seriously. I have to say that the bmw folks here were nice and did take me seriously even when I had a moronic question about the tire pressure monitor. This whole thing is just killing me, because I've wanted a 911 my whole life. I even used to just go test drive them on days off during residency to remind myself of the good things that lay ahead...all for this rattletrap thing that leaves me pissed off when I exit?

thanks for letting me vent. man I hope I can get this fixed.

Last edited by kungfufishing; 10-03-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 PM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
It's a bummer when you pay so much for a car and then aren't totally happy with it.
Stuff like this happens from time to time with any car maker - you could have just as bad luck with the M3.
Porsche are generally well built and it's not the norm.

Give dealer a chance to fix it. I realize you are upset right now, and rightfully so, but trading the car in so quickly would probably cost more then you'd like.

If you are not happy with the dealer is there another one in the area? It's ridiculous they give you crap if you just bought the car from them.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:01 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear of your issues. I think your experience is the exception, not the rule. I'm on my second 997, and my current one is a 07 Targa, which many assume is the worst model for rattles and squeaks. Yet, I haven't experienced any problems at all. The car is my daily driver (only car), and it is still quiet and solid feeling with over 17k miles. Nothing has broken or fallen off, no buzzing of speakers, no rattles or squeaks. Once in a while I wipe down the weatherstripping at front and rear edges of my Targa top to eliminate any periodic squeaks. My 05 C2S cab had almost 25k miles on it when I sold it in mid 07, and it didn't have any rattles or squeaks either.

I'm not sure what whine you're referring to, but I love the Porsche gear whine in lower gears when cruising slowly through a parking lot.

I suggest you persist with the dealer in having them keep looking for those sources of noises and deal with them properly so you can enjoy your car the way it is meant to be enjoyed.

Good luck.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Give them a chance to make it right.
I'm on my 3rd P-car, and they all had a niggling rattle in different spots. They all were fixed.
The hardest ones are the type caused by the cold. Dash rattles and squeeks caused by the parts moving when contracted and cold, and go away once the cabin warms. Never does it at the dealer cause it's all warmed up by then.

You'll get it sorted out.
Every BMW I've had, ended up with major problems. My E46M3 had rod bearing recall, M Roadster had the rear end practically rip off the the subframe, and the Z8 had the threat of mushrooming the aluminum strut towers and spreading them away from the hood.... without a fix at that time. I'll never, ever own another Bimmer.

Aside from a bad fuel pump, the Porsches are rock solid.
You're just having a little buyers remorse too.... it's natural.

Last edited by jjbravo; 10-02-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
There will be some rattles. To make it rattle-free would imply a heavier car a la BMW. If that's important to you get a BMW. For me I do not want the extra mass and understand and accept the tradeoff. Evidently you do not.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
A few Porsches ago I felt as you do . Now I have grown fond of the rattles . I don't even want to remove them . My 07997tt and 09 Pdk have the famous passenger seat rattle . It took 300 miles in my PDK car and I was hoping to hear it before it got to 1000 miles and was not let down.
Deep breaths . If you bond with this new car .. it will leave a positive impact .
It's a dream car .. it's memories in the making .. rattles and all.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:38 AM
I appreciate the replies. That sunroof/rear deck sound very well could be the passenger seat. Have you had the passenger seat rattle with someone in it? My (wonderful, sweet, pregnant) wife was actually the first person to point out the rattles to me...bit of a spoiler but I'll forgive her.

I'll take it in monday and hopefully something can be done. Otherwise I'll just have to decide. I actually agree somewhat with the comment about the m3, even if it sounded a bit snide - the one drive I've had in one, which admittedly was a vert, felt like a big car.

How many of you daily drive your 911?

Is the wind whistle at 60-70 normal?

Old 10-03-2009, 05:22 AM
gjnockie is on a distinguished road
My 09 is tight as a drum. No rattles or squeaks of any kind. Sometimes new cars can creak or make some noises when new and after awhile when everything has a chance to flex and move some they go away, but not always. This is my 4th Porsche and all of them have been great!

On the subject of Bmw's being better built than Porsche.. I disagree!
I have owned 2 BMW's in the last few years and IMHO they are the worst POS's I have ever owned. Constant problems with both cars. Rattles, squeaks, engine, a/c, and trim problems to name a few. I will never buy another one.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:33 AM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
Your car is a lemon! Mine does not have rattles or squeaks! Did you test drive the car you bought???

Old 10-03-2009, 05:46 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
go to your dealer and tell them work on those rattles - they actually can fix most of them.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:24 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
utkinoli s right..go get them fixed.

my 05 911 is the quietest car I have every owned....no one rattle or squeak with 37K miles on it and several track days. It was one of the reasons I wanted the engine replaced instead of the dealer buying it back when I had the IMS issue. I just love how solid it feels.

my boxster has developed one squeak when I hit a bump which is a little annoying and i will have checked out soon. I think its a shock and have read about it on other forums.

You should not have to put up with what you describe.

Good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks in...rattles and breaks?