997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

WOW! ROTtec 997.1 DRL LED's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Doug_B_928 is on a distinguished road
I received my Rottec DRLs yesterday. I'm very pleased with the lights. Here are some pics of the install. Basically, to remove them all you do is insert the card tool as per the owner's manual. Push in once and pull out the assembly a bit, then push in again and it will release. Pull it out and disconnect as per the manual. The only trick is that the fog light bulb and connector need to be removed from the original housing after the wiring has been disconnected. Then you re-use the black connector that the little blue bulb was in. It really couldn't be easier.

Attached Images      
Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
I received my Rottec DRLs yesterday. I'm very pleased with the lights. Here are some pics of the install. Basically, to remove them all you do is insert the card tool as per the owner's manual. Push in once and pull out the assembly a bit, then push in again and it will release. Pull it out and disconnect as per the manual. The only trick is that the fog light bulb and connector need to be removed from the original housing after the wiring has been disconnected. Then you re-use the black connector that the little blue bulb was in. It really couldn't be easier.
Doug, thanks for the pics and writeup. This is a easy DIY for anyone!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Toffee
I received my DRL today and installed it!!!

All lights (fog, park, turn) are working. However, I received a 'check front left light' warning error. Sigh!!!

In addition, I noticed that the LEFT park light turns 'on' for a while (approx. 10sec) whenever I lock/unlock the car. The Right side light remains 'off' all this while.

I have informed Ray on this problem and is waiting for his resolution.
Sounds like connection error, I've sent you email for fix!

Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Doug_B_928 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ray
Doug, thanks for the pics and writeup. This is a easy DIY for anyone!
You're welcome. Yes, this is definitely a DIY.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
Mine came in today too and it was as simple as changing light bulbs with 2 observations: The center (park light) connector is polarity sensitive. If you plug it in one way it fits fine but no park light. Unplug it and flip it over and all is well. Check your lights for full proper operation before you slide the new unit in all of the way and click it into place. I had to take one of mine out to flip the plug and it seemed to fit quite a bit tighter than the OEM unit. I actually split my plastic card getting it to pop loose. They look great though, especially with the DRL module hooked to them.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM
haivle is on a distinguished road
sigh.. i just received my drl today also opened it and the passenger side didnt have parking light connector installed the driver side anyways it looked great but disappointed that i'll have a wait a few more weeks to receive a fix on this

Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Doug, thanks for those pics, they really helped out as I was staring clueless at the wires for at least 10 minutes. I found first light to be a bit of the pain to do since I didn't know how. I did the 2nd within a couple of minutes.

A few things to note:
* The bulb connector on LED lights can be hiding in the large side hole of the LED assembly. One of mine was. I fished it out carefully with my finger.
* You have to reuse 2 pieces of the hardware from the OE lights on the LED lights! Look at the pictures above and see which those are. I would have never guessed to do that, at least not for a while. I just don't understand why the connectors couldn't be made to work with OE wires without those pieces.
* Separating the OE wiring by cutting the electrical tape and freeing them makes work a lot easier.
* I changed how the wires ran through the inside of the bumper to make the reused floating hardware easier to manage on the insertion of the LED lights.

This is not a hard install, but only when you know what you are doing. Othewise there are a few WTF moments. Instructions would have been very helpful. Someone needs to make a video for this.

Installed, these lights look great! There is DOT writing on the lights, if these are DOT approved then hopefully they are quality and will stand up to wear and tear well.

Last edited by DirtyVegas; 12-09-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Toffee is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ray
Sounds like connection error, I've sent you email for fix!
I did further investigation today on the LEFT DRL:

1) per your advise, I turn the white connector around. With this change, the middle element of the DRL module no longer works, even when the light switch is turned on. As such, my original connection was correct, which turn the middle element on.

2) With the white connector in the correct position, there are 2 issues:
a) there is a warning 'Check front left light 'on the dash
b) the middle element will turn on for a few seconds whenever I lock/unlock the car. ( this does not happen for the RIGHT DRL)

2) I swap out the white connector and replace with the original parking bulb. With this change, the park light works normally. There is no warning message on the dash when I turn on the lights.

With the above tests, I would conclude that the the LEFT DRL is faulty.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
Installed mine yesterday. snapped som quick shots (with my phone) just for you guys to see. I´ll take better one later. They look absolutely beautiful with good fit and finish!

Last edited by sideWays_swe; 12-10-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sideWays_swe
Installed mine yesterday. snapped som quick shots (with my phone) just for you guys to see. I´ll take better one later. They look absolutely beautiful with good fit and finish!

nice pics. They look great. I love the shots you took, cool car and garage

Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
JLH
JLH is on a distinguished road
997.1 drl

Got mine last week but since I was out of town I had to wait till today to install them. Very nice lights indeed. Thanks again Ray for hosting the group buy!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Mine are out for delivery. Hope to get them installed today!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Honestly, they look so good. Im really impressed. Post Pics peoples. I cant wait to see them on your car

Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 PM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
In the middle of my install. The driver side middle bar thing won't light and the passenger bottom LEDs won't light. I've tried reversing polarity on the middle connection but no change. Going back to it...

Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Ok. Foolish me. Polarity fixes the middle bar, so got drivers side working. Bent connector on passenger side was the problem with it. Finishing install and pics to follow

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WOW! ROTtec 997.1 DRL LED's