997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aftermarket Amplifier install keeping PCM 3 Bose head unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Aftermarket Amplifier install keeping PCM 3 Bose head unit

Has anyone installed an aftermarket amplifier in a Bose 3.0 system while keeping the factory head unit? There doesn't seem to be too much info regarding this.

There are some nice aftermarket head units out there, but I prefer the stock appearance. I would like the install to be easily reversible with no permanent modifications.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:23 AM
RS4Jay is on a distinguished road
I'd be interested in this as well. I could not find anyone that makes an interface to go from the PCM MOST to line level outputs. I was thinking about buying a used Bose amp from eBay and tearing it apart to locate the pre-amp line level signal.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 AM
MarcoRemius is on a distinguished road
This seems silly to me. The speakers are matched to the amp. Once you figure out a way to replace the amp, I'd bet $100 that your next thought would be "Man, these speakers suck now".

I'm a home audiophile, trust me. It's a slippery slope. Do it all at once and save yourself the headache... or don't do it at all. Just my opinion though

Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by MarcoRemius
This seems silly to me. The speakers are matched to the amp. Once you figure out a way to replace the amp, I'd bet $100 that your next thought would be "Man, these speakers suck now".

I'm a home audiophile, trust me. It's a slippery slope. Do it all at once and save yourself the headache... or don't do it at all. Just my opinion though
Well of course, the whole point to replacing the amp is to drive a high end set of speakers. That's what necessitated this whole search.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:42 AM
MarcoRemius is on a distinguished road
Ohhhhh, I see where you're going.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Based on the Porsche wiring diagram, there are low level analog signals coming directly out of the PCM going to the BOSE amp.

I wonder if anyone has tested and used the signal from the PCM vs. using the speaker level out of the Bose amp. I know the amp signal would require summing. Not sure of the PCM signal.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Stage7
Based on the Porsche wiring diagram, there are low level analog signals coming directly out of the PCM going to the BOSE amp.

I wonder if anyone has tested and used the signal from the PCM vs. using the speaker level out of the Bose amp. I know the amp signal would require summing. Not sure of the PCM signal.
Can you post the wiring diagram? If that is true then I'm curious why the amp connects to the MOST bus at all?

Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Sorry but I can't post the wiring diagram as the sheet I have has a watermark of the purchaser. I don't want to have that name blacklisted by Porsche for future diagrams.

You can purchase the diagram from Porsche directly though.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Sailingfun is on a distinguished road
I am probably wrong but my understanding is the output from the Bose head unit is fiber optic to the amp. This can be converted to line level however the converter is 700.00. Ouch!
George

Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 PM
I won't claim to be 100% certain about this, but I'm looking at the diagram right now for a 2011 997 Bose PCM3 and it has 8 distinct outputs from the head unit to the bose amp:

RF high, LF high, RF low, LF low C, RR, LR, Sub

It has different input outputs for the optical waveguide.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
I won't claim to be 100% certain about this, but I'm looking at the diagram right now for a 2011 997 Bose PCM3 and it has 8 distinct outputs from the head unit to the bose amp:

The connection between the PCM and the Bose amp is fiberoptic. In that diagram, you're probably looking at the speaker-level output FROM the Bose amp.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:49 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute

in what you beleive - what you see with your eyes - or in rumours of those who even didn't remember that bose is only option?

pcm is NOT bose head.
pcm3 cant live without amp
two options still available - nonbose CAR or bose car
this mean different amps speakers and wiring, pcm is same
nonbose amp called ASK
ASK amp has matched pcm low-level analog inputs.
instead of ASK amp can be used any other aftermarket - only need is REPROGRAMMING pcm3 to NONBOSE option - or will be NO SOUND.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ask1.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	393921  
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
In that diagram, you're probably looking at the speaker-level output FROM the Bose amp.
No- I'm looking at 8 channel signal outputs coming out of the "Japan Navigation System" going TO the Bose amp. The Bose amp has separate outputs going to the speakers.

There is a different in and out for the optical wave guide in the diagram.

Again, I'm not making proclamations of what works and doesn't work because I don't know. I'm only reporting what I'm reading on the Porsche wiring diagram named:

"BOSE SOUND PACKAGE -997420 - 2011 -A"

I'm hoping someone who's gone down this path will share their experience.

Last edited by Stage7; 07-03-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !

No- I'm looking at 8 channel signal outputs coming out of the "Japan Navigation System" going TO the Bose amp. The Bose amp has separate outputs going to the speakers.

There is a different in and out for the optical wave guide in the diagram.

Again, I'm not making proclamations of what works and doesn't work because I don't know. I'm only reporting what I'm reading on the Porsche wiring diagram named:

"BOSE SOUND PACKAGE -997420 - 2011 -A"

I'm hoping someone who's gone down this path will share their experience.
Would be very surprising because the only way people have done it is with the MOST conversion harness, which is like $600. The other way is using speaker level output from the Bose amp to a fancy equalizer. If the pcm had simple line level outputs, all of this wouldn't be necessary.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:48 AM
ryem3 - What MOST conversion harness are you referring to? I know there is one to go from a new head unit to the MOST but was not aware of one that provided line level outputs from the MOST bus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Amplifier install keeping PCM 3 Bose head unit