997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

new, unwelcome noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:30 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
new, unwelcome noise

i try to add the video here, if it doesn't load, i try to explain, and am sure i'm not the first to experience this...hopefully it is, as a friend has said, one of the belt tensioners, or a bearing along the serp belt travel...a rubbing noise varying with revs, so, lets see here, oh, and just turned 30k kms, and installed a new belt about 1 month/1000kms ago...and i don't ever run it hard, never even near red line, maybe 5000 once in a week, ok, i tried to add thevideo but it is a .mov file and won't load

Old 10-25-2014, 04:35 AM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Sound like a cricket? I had that after installing a new belt. Went away over time. Non issue.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:34 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
well, no, more like a grumbling in your stomach, maybe...or maybe my stomach, don;t know what yours sounds like...

Last edited by kkswow12; 10-25-2014 at 05:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-25-2014, 05:41 AM
i have managed to post the videos on rennlist, http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...bad-noise.html
don't want to press my luck, so here's the link, kindof

Old 10-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like a bearing in one of the pulleys going bad - idler, alternator, AC compressor, etc.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:22 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
i posted belt issue with my 07 997.1TT- car only has 25k miles -dealer installed new stock belt in July along with plug/coil packs, EP1 exhaust, etc- no noise previously-
after install had what sounded like rattling/squeeking bearing type noise above 2k rpms- back to dealer- head tech replaced the 2 idler pulleys under CPO- got car back still made same noise- car back to dealer- tech replaced tensioner pulley - noise still there- tested alternator for bearing noise-
they put my old belt with 25k miles back on & noise was much less-but still there- They bought & installed new goodyear gatorback serpentine belt # 4060900- for the TT. noise gone-
Interesting that noise sounded like bad bearing but only started after the new stock porsche belt installed- New gatorback belt solved my issue- Head tech said he has installed a few of these belts on new TT where owner has complained of bent squealing during rain- he said the gatorback belt solved the squealing when wet issue so he tried it on my car- i couldn't believe the noise was from a belt-especially since it was a new belt, certainly sounded like bearing-
hope this helps

Last edited by bgrpph; 10-25-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Doesn't quite sound like an idler roller/belt tensioner bearing. I've had these go out twice now on my 03 Turbo. First time I got a "dry bearing" sound, which did not sound like the noise in the clip. The 2nd time there was an intermittent chirp/squeak like noise. It was not present at cold engine start but appeared after a few moments of idling.

My WAG is a water pump is making the noise.

But while we can guess you need to know.

If you want to delve into this yourself, expose the belt drive end of the engine and remove the belt. Please note its routing and direction of rotation so if the belt is ok you can reinstall it correctly.

Check the belt's condition. Check the edges. If one (or both) edges are sharp this is a sign the belt is rubbing on a pulley side and this is because an accessory drive has developed bearing/shaft play and the belt is pulling the pulley out of position.

Check each accessory drive pulley of any signs of play. You may have to go around and try each in turn several times to find the one with any play.

When what proved to be a bad water pump in my Boxster starting making noise -- which sounds more like the noise in the clip you posted -- the water pump had a bit of play. The other accessory drives had none or just a tiny tiny bit but in this still way less than the play at the water pump pulley.

Or get the car flat bedded to qualified shop and the noise diagnosed. If it is a water pump you do not want to drive the car any as with some play the impeller blades can contact the block and this strips the blades off the impeller. The water pump no longer pumps water and the blade debris can block coolant flow.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by bgrpph
i posted belt issue with my 07 997.1TT- car only has 25k miles -dealer installed new stock belt in July along with plug/coil packs, EP1 exhaust, etc- no noise previously-
after install had what sounded like rattling/squeeking bearing type noise above 2k rpms- back to dealer- head tech replaced the 2 idler pulleys under CPO- got car back still made same noise- car back to dealer- tech replaced tensioner pulley - noise still there- tested alternator for bearing noise-
they put my old belt with 25k miles back on & noise was much less-but still there- They bought & installed new goodyear gatorback serpentine belt # 4060900- for the TT. noise gone-
Interesting that noise sounded like bad bearing but only started after the new stock porsche belt installed- New gatorback belt solved my issue- Head tech said he has installed a few of these belts on new TT where owner has complained of bent squealing during rain- he said the gatorback belt solved the squealing when wet issue so he tried it on my car- i couldn't believe the noise was from a belt-especially since it was a new belt, certainly sounded like bearing-
hope this helps
thanks for this, but the noise just started 2 days ago and belt has been on for more than a month, belt is from porsche, and i am thinking the noise is under pass side of motor, we will see, soon...

Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 AM
ok, just video'd the water pump w/o the belt, and though there is no water, totally dry above and below, you can see there is movement in the pulley, all other pulleys are tight and free wheeling, thats what she said, i think, and there is a bit of noise when i spin it, maybe you can hear...will get a pro's diagnosis manana, but i think i'm looking at a new water pump here...