Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Seats adjustment stopped working

Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 AM
boosting1bar is on a distinguished road
Seats adjustment stopped working

Yesterday while at a light I was readjusting my seat and the damn thing stopped working (in a very uncomfortable position of course). I tried a couple different times and don't get anything. Tried again after the car had been turned off and back on and it still doesn't work. Interestingly I can't adjust the passenger seat either. Anyone had something like this happen? I was looking in the manual and it looks like the seats are fused separately so it would be odd to pop both fuses I imagine. Any suggestions? Is there a way to manually adjust the seat so I can at least keep driving the car?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Your seat modules have lost the memory..it's common thing if the battery had gone low or flat.

Solution:

Get to the battery behind the passenger seat, disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it disconnected for at least 120 seconds.

Connect the battery, and follow this seat adjustment sequence to the "T"..
Make sure your steering wheel is full adjusted inward and down, this will make clearance for the procedure to follow:

-Lower seat cushion all the way forward, once seat stops continue to hold for 4 seconds and release.
-Lower seat cushion rear height adjutsment all the way up and hold again 4 seconds at end
-Lower seat cushion front height adjustment all the way up and hold at end for 4 seconds
-Power the back rest cushion all the way forward and hold at end for 4 seconds

-Now let the seat rest for 60 seconds in this state..VOLLA!! DONE! (Lol or at least for the drivers seat only)

This prodecure will need to be performed for the passenger seat also all in the same order..but wait till you are completely done with the drivers seat then move onto the passenger....if in any case things didn't go as planned and you forgot a step..etc wtv, you can disconnect the battery like before and restart all over again.

The windows now are not going to rise back up when you close your door due to the battery disconnect..SOoooo: Doors closed with you in drivers seat, hold drivers window switch down and wait 4 seconds at end, now power window closed and hold at end for 4 seconds..Now drivers window is calibrated, do these same steps for the passenger window from the drivers door window switch.

Now by disconnecting the battery, there is a chance your misfire factors are going to be lost in the engines PCM..these settings can only be reset by the dealer(you can do the drive cycle road test but never know if there learnt by the road test or not, only Aston AMDS diagnostic machine can datalog this), so next time your in for a service at the dealer, have them check to verify if the Misfire Factors are stored or not..If there not and they have them saved on file in there diagnostic machine, they can restore them for you hassle free..if there not stored in your car and not in there machine, then a drive cycle will have to be performed by them to relearn them.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
Irish07, you are amazing. Seriously.

Thanks so much for continuing to provide all of us with support! My car is new and (knocks on wood) has been fairly trouble free, but it's still good to know we have members like you in the forum.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply Irish, does this work if I just use the disconnect switch in the boot? I found a similar thread on 6speed that said to do it with the switch but that didn't work. Should I go ahead and get to the battery and try it with the terminal off? Is the battery just under that aluminum plate?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
No the switch keeps the CEM alive, so sometimes it works..but 80% of the time it doesn't..I just jump to the battery and save time.

You mentioned a metal plate, so I assume you have a DB9..yes battery is under that plate..if you have a later year DB9 there is a cutout hole to remove the negative cable..if it's a earlier model you will have to remove that metal plate for access

Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Correct, sorry I forgot to add its a 2005 DB9. So I've gotten in there and disconnected the battery for a few minutes and have now reconnected it. Seats still don't move though. I do notice a click from under the seat when I push backwards on the lower cushion button. Passenger seat is still unresponsive too. Does it matter if the doors are opened or closed? I was trying it with the driver's door open. Engine on or just ignition? I'm thinking since they're not moving regardless there's another issue? Also, I've noticed the lumbar support adjustment has worked the whole time as well.

Last edited by boosting1bar; 05-01-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Ok, you just have a stubborn one..disconnect both battery ternimals and hold the cables together for 60 seconds, this will remove any surface charge that is keeping memory alive in modules.

Even though the seat will not move, hold the switch for the 4 seconds..if you interupt the procedure you will most prob need to re-disconnect the battery and restart..it isn't easy, it can be a real P.O.S at times!!...sometimes it can take me upto 1 hour on cars that are being stubborn, I just keep repeating the proccess till all is a go..there is no other procedure..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Okay I'll give it a few more tries. Any thoughts on door open vs closed? Engine on vs off? When I reconnect the terminal there's a lot of clicking from the dash until I insert the key. Really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
You can keep the doors open and ign off, clicking noises in the dash, under the hood, and at rear under car is normal after a battery reconnect

When doing the calibration just turning the ignition on is fine no need to start..but do keep a battyer charger on the car if you have for if the voltage drops to low you will be back were you started..otherwise do this with the car running to keep the battery alive at 100%..prefered is with a charger hooked up

No worries, anytime..

Last edited by Irish07@VelocityAP; 05-01-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
Irish, you and AMFixer are a tremendous asset to this community. Thanks alot guys for all the help and headaches saved!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
Even though the seat will not move, hold the switch for the 4 seconds.
To clarify that we're on the same page, the seats haven't moved at all since they stopped at the light so they're both nearly all the way back. It's not that they're not moving because they're all the way forward, it's because they aren't responding to the controls. I've tried 5 more times now and still nothing happening.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
Yes, even though the seat is at the back, hold that switch and continue to go through the steps even if it doesn't move 1mm ..if you hear no click from the seat motor, disconnect both batt terminals and connect them together with something like a wire with alligator clamps and let the car sit for 10mins..longer you wait the better, then try again..what has happened is the seat module has gone to sleep after it did not see it's full calibration once the seat switch was touches. The seat had lost it's calibration and stayed as it was, once you pressed the switch it thought you were doing the calibration, but because the procedure was not followed(not your fault, you didn't know)..the module went to sleep...by doing the battery disconnect and reconnect, your shocking that module back to life, kinda like CPR on someone..aka waking it up..so now you got to wake that B*TCH UP!! ..LOL

Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Got it, makes sense. So out of curiosity, if this is successful will the seat just start moving again after the 60 second rest?

Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
Yes it will start moving if it has come back to life and woken up..but make sure once it starts to move, to follow the steps or else you will have a dead seat again.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by chirag
Irish, you and AMFixer are a tremendous asset to this community. Thanks alot guys for all the help and headaches saved!
+1 Absolutly Super for you both to take so much time to help us.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seats adjustment stopped working