Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Experience replacing 04 Cayenne battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
rtf1091 is on a distinguished road
Experience replacing 04 Cayenne battery

Anyone have any experience replacing the factory battery in the 04 Cayenne? Also any sources for a replacement battery. I still have the original battery in car. No signs of weakness. Looking for preventive maintenance.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
I replaced my 2004 CTT battery just recently, I replaced with an Interstate MTP-93. The fit is excellent, and the battery has more CCA etc than the factory unit did. 1/3 the cost compared to factory and maintenance free to boot. $152.00 up here in Canada, pretty reasonable. Just need a vent kit (supplied with battery) to connect to the stock vent hose setup in the Cayenne. This is the battery under the driver's seat by the way. If you need instructions pm me and I'll explain what you need to do to replace it.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
I tried to read up on this as mine was dying, and landed on the conclusion that the AutoZone battery was somehow equivalent to the Wal-Mart (!) version, which was either rated high or made by the same supplier or something equally convincing (though I forget the details now).

I think I spent $75 plus a $10 core charge. Warranty is 5 years 100%, then 2 or 3 more years pro-rated. Seemed like a good deal for essentially guaranteed "starter service." And AutoZones are all over the place out there, if it dies on the road somewhere.

Replacement was very easy - the instructions are in the glovebox manual. Get the specialized bit set (triple-square?) if you haven't yet. Hardest part was the plastic pieces under driver's seat. Fit was fine. But man the thing was heavy - tough to wield in and out of the box down there.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Batteries plus nearby my house will do the install for purchasing through them................thought that was a unique offer for buying the battery.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
cmoore1 is on a distinguished road
Re: the Autozone battery--I don't believe it's maintenence free like the Varta that came with my 06 CS--therefor you will need to get at it at least once a year to add water! I checked with Sunset a while back--they say the brand they sell is Moll from Germany--which they ship empty and you have to add acid from your local autoparts store.
I don't understand why PCNA doesn't import the Varta sealed battery instead of the Moll.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
ok_computadora is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rtf1091
Anyone have any experience replacing the factory battery in the 04 Cayenne? Also any sources for a replacement battery. I still have the original battery in car. No signs of weakness. Looking for preventive maintenance.

i bought mine at Pepboys for under $100 and installed myself within 1 hour. Just be careful of the plastic trim pieces on the tracks of the seat.. if you arent careful removing them you can break them.

PS dont flame me for the cheap battery.. i was selling the cayenne within a few months so I could order my new Turbo

Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 AM
quattrotman is on a distinguished road
Touareg battery from VW is a direct quality replacement as well. Cost was less than $200 CAN for me. Install is fairly straightforward and in the manual. Driver Seat tilts back and its under there.
BTW...checked on replacement battery from Porsche....$800! Yikes!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
Yeah, easy to do, just kinda annoying and scary that its under the front seat. Stealership wanted $600 bucks to replace it, can you believe that crap?!?!?! It took me an hour. One bolt gave me trouble reinstalling but I got through it. Works awesome now. If you dont replace it soon expect funky electrical issues. I was having trouble with the climate control. My blower fan wouldn't start blowing for a long time and in the summer it totally sucked cause my pepper is black and it gets super hot inside. Changed the battery and all is well!!! Oh also I bought and Interstate FYI.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I had mine replaced by my dealer. I started getting many odd messages and behaviors when it was on the way out. I think my total charge for replacement was around $300. It wasn't cheap, but certainly nothing like the numbers some of you are seeing.

FWIW, my new battery failed completely only 1 month after purchase due to a manufacturing defect. My local dealer towed the vehicle and replaced the battery at no charge.