Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Intermittent PCM Screen Issue (Pics included...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:28 PM
PutterMcGavin is on a distinguished road
Intermittent PCM Screen Issue (Pics included...)

Well lets start this thread on a good note shall we! After months or worrying and pray that my coolant pipes would blow I just found out that they were replaced in the past! Yay for that.

Now to business. In the past months maybe 3-4 times my PCM screen has acted up and gone from the default display to one that is shown below. I swear the truck is teasing me as it last happened yesterday and then "magically" went back to normal when I was less than a mile from pulling into my service shop to have them look at it

From other posts I'm thinking it is a contact issue with the screen and the unit. This is the 3rd unit the truck has had and i doubt this is some rare "inverse color" option never offered.

Suggestions?

...oh and my warranty is up in 2 weeks. Awesome I know.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
off topic but, this is the first cayenne with the webasto heater option. how do you like it? i'm planning on ordering my next one with it, as it gets so snowy and cold here all the time.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
take it in you have documentation right here..........squeeze the lemon out of it!!! good luck

Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Putter - For real? You and I co-post on alot of the same threads and you never checked my monster "me pepa" post??? I have your fix my friend! Same Sheeeight happened to me and I fixed it and posted a full video tutorial. Here is the link:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2618402

Last edited by roxboxxx; 01-18-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by canberk
off topic but, this is the first cayenne with the webasto heater option. how do you like it? i'm planning on ordering my next one with it, as it gets so snowy and cold here all the time.
Ummmmm that is what that is for huh?! I'll let you know tomorrow...

Originally Posted by cordsig79
take it in you have documentation right here..........squeeze the lemon out of it!!! good luck
Yeah, I have to TWO different dealers. Neither one could "reproduce" the issue. It is kind of like computer problems, if you can't replicate it, it never happened.

I did have them note on the invoice that I had pictures and have them in my file in case it dies later which will mean I'll bring hell to them to cover after my CPO.

Originally Posted by roxboxxx
Putter - For real? You and I co-post on alot of the same threads and you never checked my monster "me pepa" post??? I have your fix my friend! Same Sheeeight happened to me and I fixed it and posted a full video tutorial. Here is the link:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2618402
I know, i know. I saw it and it is VERY informative! I was just curious if this was the same issue and if there was a way to replicate it so I can get it covered by the dealer under my CPO. Two weeks left on it and I'm annoying the hell out of them for even the smallest thing. Got to use it...

...even though they did charge me $60 to replace a bulb and the socket. Which I came to find out was replaced 3 months ago . Refund? I think so.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Bring your pics that you posted and tell them that you have found many posts of people that had the same issue and have had it replaced under CPO. Truth is I think I saw 1-2 guys that had it replaced under CPO. Its def the screen assembly as is a complete unit (contains the graphic controller, etc on a board attached to the back of the screen).

Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin
Ummmmm that is what that is for huh?! I'll let you know tomorrow...

Yeah, I have to TWO different dealers. Neither one could "reproduce" the issue. It is kind of like computer problems, if you can't replicate it, it never happened.

I did have them note on the invoice that I had pictures and have them in my file in case it dies later which will mean I'll bring hell to them to cover after my CPO.

I know, i know. I saw it and it is VERY informative! I was just curious if this was the same issue and if there was a way to replicate it so I can get it covered by the dealer under my CPO. Two weeks left on it and I'm annoying the hell out of them for even the smallest thing. Got to use it...

...even though they did charge me $60 to replace a bulb and the socket. Which I came to find out was replaced 3 months ago . Refund? I think so.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Bring your pics that you posted and tell them that you have found many posts of people that had the same issue and have had it replaced under CPO. Truth is I think I saw 1-2 guys that had it replaced under CPO. Its def the screen assembly as is a complete unit (contains the graphic controller, etc on a board attached to the back of the screen).
Oh how I wish it were that easy

I've shown two dealerships pics from 3 different occassions and have received the smae answer "we couldn't get it to happen." I have the pics on file and if the screen dies anytime soon I'll be bringing it up with PCNA as an issue that was brought to the table while under CPO but not addressed.

...I'm sure PCNA wants to blackflag my car as I've literally had the following done since I bought it under CPO in August and less than 10k miles ago.

- Replaced Horn
- Tank Vent replacement
- New Compressor
- Left engine mount
- Expansion tank
- Remote replacement
- 12v socket
- Intercooler pressure hose and couplings
- PCM display
- Seat adjuster switch
- Parking brake damper
- Upper trailing arms
- Lower control arms
- Front struts and all hardware
- Door sill trim
- Headlight seals
- Servo motor for HVAC flapper
- Motor for mirror assembly
- Cardan shaft
- Multiple alignments
- Small other stuff...

So yeah, I'm probably going to flagged BUT they are ALL different issues so it isn't like a simple issue is being chased down with parts being thrown at it.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Oh how I wish it were that easy

I've shown two dealerships pics from 3 different occassions and have received the smae answer "we couldn't get it to happen." I have the pics on file and if the screen dies anytime soon I'll be bringing it up with PCNA as an issue that was brought to the table while under CPO but not addressed.

...I'm sure PCNA wants to blackflag my car as I've literally had the following done since I bought it under CPO in August and less than 10k miles ago.

- Replaced Horn
- Tank Vent replacement
- New Compressor
- Left engine mount
- Expansion tank
- Remote replacement
- 12v socket
- Intercooler pressure hose and couplings
- PCM display
- Seat adjuster switch
- Parking brake damper
- Upper trailing arms
- Lower control arms
- Front struts and all hardware
- Door sill trim
- Headlight seals
- Servo motor for HVAC flapper
- Motor for mirror assembly
- Cardan shaft
- Multiple alignments
- Small other stuff...

So yeah, I'm probably going to flagged BUT they are ALL different issues so it isn't like a simple issue is being chased down with parts being thrown at it.

Unless the dealer can see your teeth marks on the parts, it's their issue and they get paid to make the repairs. Given your list they should roll the red carpet out when you show up for service. When my screen was failing I only needed to push on the upper left hand side of the screen to make it happen. Either that or just turn it on when it was below 32 degrees outside - both did the trick.

The main reason it goes bad is the contacts between the screen and the attached controller board go bad. The "prongs" from the screen actually break loose from their solder. Pushing on the screen and any expansion or contraction due to temperature triggers the issue. You should (if you have not yet) try applying a little pressure on each corner 1 at a time to see if you can trigger it. If it works, you can clearly demonstrate that to dealer.

REST ASSURED - FAILURE IS INEVITABLE SOON. They contacts will not resolder themselves and if its after CPO you will be trawling ebay looking for the cheapest head unit.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Unless the dealer can see your teeth marks on the parts, it's their issue and they get paid to make the repairs. Given your list they should roll the red carpet out when you show up for service. When my screen was failing I only needed to push on the upper left hand side of the screen to make it happen. Either that or just turn it on when it was below 32 degrees outside - both did the trick.

The main reason it goes bad is the contacts between the screen and the attached controller board go bad. The "prongs" from the screen actually break loose from their solder. Pushing on the screen and any expansion or contraction due to temperature triggers the issue. You should (if you have not yet) try applying a little pressure on each corner 1 at a time to see if you can trigger it. If it works, you can clearly demonstrate that to dealer.

REST ASSURED - FAILURE IS INEVITABLE SOON. They contacts will not resolder themselves and if its after CPO you will be trawling ebay looking for the cheapest head unit.
I totally agree with you. It is a no brainer and the fact that I have pictures from three different occurences and the fact that the PCM has had to be replaced 2 different times should make this obvious...

I'm taking the truck back in tomorrow to fix the parking bulb that was "fixed" in November and "fixed" yesterday with the same part number (which I had to pay for but I'm getting my money back...) so I'll bring this up again and see if I can't feel up my PCM for her "sweet spot." I'll also take in pics and probably your whole thread to them to read...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I totally agree with you. It is a no brainer and the fact that I have pictures from three different occurences and the fact that the PCM has had to be replaced 2 different times should make this obvious...

I'm taking the truck back in tomorrow to fix the parking bulb that was "fixed" in November and "fixed" yesterday with the same part number (which I had to pay for but I'm getting my money back...) so I'll bring this up again and see if I can't feel up my PCM for her "sweet spot." I'll also take in pics and probably your whole thread to them to read...
" Bring my thread" ROFL. I guess I will be next to be black-listed.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 AM
" Bring my thread" ROFL. I guess I will be next to be black-listed.
Ha I'll try not to get you in trouble.

I did however take ANOTHER picture of the issue as it cropped up and tried to fiddle with the screen by pressing here and there. I couldn't find a consistent spot though that would prompt the "white out." It is totally random.

When I told my service advisor he looked at me like I was an idiot with a "and what do you want me to do?" look on his face since he couldn't replicate it. I have pictures from 4 seperate days of the issue cropping up. Clearly shown in the pictures. I'm going to make sure they put them on file in case it fails outside of the warranty period...

Old 01-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
A nice touch would be getting a photo with the defective display that displays the serial number, software part number of your pcm head unit. I think this info screen pops up when you press the Main and trip buttons.

Last edited by Bigbuzuki; 01-28-2011 at 06:36 PM.