Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Secondary air injection pump replace/fix - DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:20 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Secondary air injection pump replace/fix - DIY

Symptom: CEL light comes on and when investigated, P0492 code (or similar) is detected.
The following code description is seen:
Secondary Air Injection System Bank 2 - Value below lower limit value, test conditions are not-completed, fault is currently active and causing a DTC light

What is wrong:
From my experience and from others' posts, this is usually caused by the failure of the secondary air pump that is located inside engine compartment (the two horn like structures on either side of the bay, near the firewall).
The failure is apparently caused by the valve getting dirty and failing to open, which causes filter foam (you will see once you open this sucker out), to back up into the pump itself, causing fan blades to break off and plug up the hose even more.
Once the fan blades are broken, the pump will need replacement.

NOTE: If you choose to only replace the pump, please understand the cause of failure, since it may be likely you will have another failure. I did not think this would be the case until I removed the valve with hose and cleaned out a bunch of debris from there....so if you are servicing pump, you will do yourself a lot of good by cleaning the valve/hose at same time.

Anyways, DIY is using pics, each successively numbered with instructions.
Hope this helps someone make the repair.
Plan on about 2-3 hours of work for this repair (1 pump). The other pump repair will be very similar, except pump part number will be different and location of mounts/screws will be on passenger side.

Have fun.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1976
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	371460   Click image for larger version

Name:	01a.jpg
Views:	3257
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	371461   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	1773
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	371462   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	1976
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	371463   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	2132
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	371464  

Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
..DIY (cont'd):

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	1723
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	371465   Click image for larger version

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	1111
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	371466   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	371467   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	1431
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	371468   Click image for larger version

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	4452
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	371469  

Old 05-06-2014, 03:22 PM
...DIY (Cont'd):

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	1603
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	371472   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	371473   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	371474   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	371475   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	371476  

Old 05-06-2014, 03:24 PM
...DIY (Cont'd) one last time:

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	1593
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	371479   Click image for larger version

Name:	15a.jpg
Views:	2079
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	375155   Click image for larger version

Name:	15b.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	375156   Click image for larger version

Name:	15c.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	375157   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	1893
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	375158  

Last edited by ciaka; 05-15-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
As always, awesome DIY write-up. Thank you.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:38 PM
np. I figured, if I have to take time to do this, might as well document, so others can do it quicker/easier.

Thanks again.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:50 PM
ATK_Designs is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much.

Mine just throw a CEL of this today. I'll def look into getting them replaced.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:05 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the write-up! I just replaced my pump with notable damage to the pump. I'm getting the same random code and I really thing this valve is the problem Thanks for the info and pics. Rep points!!!

Old 05-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Great write up as always Ciaka, I don't have the time or patience to do these but I sure appreciate what those who do are giving

I think I can add a couple small things.
It's the filter foam that rots an gets sucked into the pump.

If you pull off the hose from the EGR valve @ the air pump while the engine is running and can hear exhaust or feel air coming out of the rubber hose, the EGR is leaking. Conversely, you should be able to blow air throught them. When they leak the hot exhaust gas is going right into the pump.

You can pick out the foam from the blades and clean up the pump. Usually by this time the damage is done and the motor may operate but will draw to much amperage and continuously blow the 40a fuse.

For those who have a tune or are getting one, the SAI can be coded out, and I think the readiness monitors set to on so no CEL. The SAI is a lot of hardware that achieves better emissions for a short periods mostly during startup and periods of low engine speed/idle.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:55 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Which tune will do this and still pass emissions inspection? My CEL has been off for 5 days of driving. It was still giving the code after I replaced my pump for insufficient bank 2 secondary air blah blah blah at least 3 more times for the first 2 wks after replacement. It is now off again at least for a number of days. I wonder if something has dislodged from the valve that was possibly stuck open, im guessing.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
Which tune will do this and still pass emissions inspection? My CEL has been off for 5 days of driving. It was still giving the code after I replaced my pump for insufficient bank 2 secondary air blah blah blah at least 3 more times for the first 2 wks after replacement. It is now off again at least for a number of days. I wonder if something has dislodged from the valve that was possibly stuck open, im guessing.
It would be up to the creator of the tuned file, not a reseller. I know for sure it can be done But I'm not sure if the obd2 emissions test would see that SAI monitor as ready and ok or if it tells the tester " this isn't here, stop looking", or what? Not all vehicles have SAI. I'm not sure how smart emissions testing equipment is or how vehicle specific the info is. I'm pretty sure someone like Evoms, Eurocharged, Softronics, etc could explain better.
The motor blowing the fuse is what sets the cel. I found that because the pump doesn't always operate it would take a different amount of time/starts/stops to set off the cel. I played with mine for a while to make them work without buying two new pumps because it wasn't important to me and on my new motor I'l be using block off plates and deleting all that.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Bummer light just came on AGAIN!!!!! Frustrated..... I'm about to sell this Cayenne Turbo. Little things just keep popping up. It seems never ending. I wish I did not need emissions. It would be an easy fix.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Thanks to ciaka, I have finally got my CEL to stay off. It was the valve. Great How To! Rep points!

Old 06-27-2016, 01:00 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Nice write up! How many miles were on your Cayenne when it failed?

Old 06-27-2016, 02:57 PM
I had ~100K on it. Not sure what the typical fail period is though. The rougher the air, the quicker it would fail in my view...so dusty environment may contribute to quicker replace time. I am sure others may have a more definite view.

Thanks for the kind words.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Secondary air injection pump replace/fix - DIY