Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Yay new Cayenne! Noo, pano roof is leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 01:19 AM
dubl07 is on a distinguished road

Hey all.
Very excited to get back into a Cayenne. Previously owned a well optioned 06 S, which i regrettably traded in for an Bmw M5 about 3 years ago. Many thousands of dollars later, i just traded the m5 in for an 08 Dark Olive Mettalic Turbo with full sand beige leather.
Loving the truck so far. Service history with this car was as good as it gets. Porsche dealership oil changes every 3k miles, along with all reccomended maintenance. A real gem. However i just went through the carwash for the first time and ended up with a puddle on my back seat. Panoramic roof was leaking in the middle panel. Anyone ever have theres leak?
Is it as simple as readjusting it.

Also have noticed a whine noise at drive thrus at low speeds/rpm. Not always, just a few times. Kinda sound like an old car with crappy power steering. Is that normal?

Anyways, glad to be back in a cayenne. Hoping this one lasts many years!

Here are some pics of the new pig, the old m, and the leaky roof

Im loving the dark olive metallic. Looks black 95 percent of the time until sunset you can see the green hue. Cool unique color.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo821.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	423644   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo44.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	423645   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo837.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	423646  
Old 07-15-2015, 08:29 PM
nardeezy will become famous soon enough
Me leaky too!

I found your thread on Google. I am experiencing the same exact issue on my Cayennne pano roof when going thru the car wash (leaking from middle glass joints).

Have you found the root cause and potential resolution? I haven't had much time to look into it but everything appears to look and operate normally.

We bought our 08 GTS pre owned on 7/2011.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 PM

Hi,
I have not found the cause of it yet. Only had the car for 7 days. It doesnt leak in the rain which is good, but just in the car wash. Also noticed some wind noise from it at high speeds. Im planning on my next service appt to have them diagnose and see what the solution is. Hopefully a cheap(ish) fix.

Will post again when i find out.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by dubl07
Hi,
I have not found the cause of it yet. Only had the car for 7 days. It doesnt leak in the rain which is good, but just in the car wash. Also noticed some wind noise from it at high speeds. Im planning on my next service appt to have them diagnose and see what the solution is. Hopefully a cheap(ish) fix.

Will post again when i find out.
Wind noise from the pano roof at high speeds is common. The noise gets quieter if you close the pano roof shade.

I have a pretty good relationship with my local Porsche service advisor. I emailed him and he asked me if it was a minor drip or stream. I replied back with something in the middle (bad leak), not a stream nor a minor drip. I'll keep you posted. Given that it's summer, right now is the time to get this fixed.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 PM
What type of car wash system did you bring your Cayenne thru when yu observed the panoramic roof leak?

The reason I ask is because the occurrence of panoramic roof leaks for the Porsche Cayenne is really low based on google searching (it's only us two).

I brought mine thru a "LaserWash" system which uses a high pressure nozzle sprayer system. I've only brought it thru this type of system the last three times I've washed the car. Having owned the Cayenne since 7/2011, I've only hand washed it myself or the dealer washed it after a service and I've never experienced a leak during these types of washes nor in the rain.

I just ran a test tonight and had my wife sit in the car while I sprayed water all over the panoramic roof using my garden hose with an adjustable nozzle on the end. I used various water pressure and directed the water at the middle glass joints. The result was no leak.

For my situation, I think that a combination of factors contributed to the panoramic roof leak. The "LaserWash" high pressure spray nozzle, the Cayenne SUV sitting higher than a normal car (closer to the high pressure sprayer), the middle glass joints of the Cayenne panoramic roof possibly being the weakest link in water leak protection. I'm not sure what type of direct water pressures theres panoramic roof seals are rated to but I think the "LaserWash" high pressure and nozzle type is unrealistic of real world rain or manual car washes at home.

I cancelled my appointment at the dealer for tomorrow because they may just run thru a similar test that I just did tonight and conclude that all is ok and no leak.

I recommend you run a similar test and possibly avoid those types of car wash systems with high pressure water being sprayed directly to the roof.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:25 PM
Hi nardeezy,
Thanks for the feedback.
It was also a "lazerwash" touchless wash that caused the leak in mine. I mentioned it to the dealer while i was in there and they treated the seals with rubber/seal treatment. They said if it still leaks that they would need to take the headliner off to investigate further which he quoted about 4 hours of labor for.
I went through the lazerwash again and had a much smaller leak. Just a few drops this time. Its also rained a few times with no seepage or leak. So I think ill just avoid the high pressure touchless washes from now on and stick to hand washing.
I can live with that for now.
Thanks again for your reply. Im also very surprised there were no other cases of this on any other forums.
Cheers, best of luck

Old 07-22-2015, 01:08 PM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
I would be amazed it a pano roof didn't leak during a high pressure car wash.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 PM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
I have a Pano roof on my '09 CTTS but no leaks to report on.
If you have the PDCC option this is probably the cause of your Whining noise you mentioned. All PDCC optioned Cayennes make this noise & it is nothing to worry about, it's just the sound the system makes & does sound like your power steering system is going bad.