GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

How long do PCCB rotors suppose to last?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 PM
tocho is on a distinguished road
How long do PCCB rotors suppose to last?

Took my 997 RS to the dealer to chge brake pads, oil, etc. Calls me today and tells me "next time around" I will need new (pccb) rotors. Car has 8,500 miles and have done about 15 track days. Does this sound right???

Thanks for the feedback

Old 07-31-2008, 05:27 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No, not according to the PR Porsche claims for them. According to Porsche they should last forever.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 PM
sheim911rs has a spectacular aura aboutsheim911rs has a spectacular aura aboutsheim911rs has a spectacular aura about
if you do a search of the posts, there's a great discussion thread on this.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
I have a friend that has PCCB in his TT 700hp with more than 25 TD and several sets of pads with the original rotors.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 PM
SoCal955 is on a distinguished road
From what I've heard they should last for a loooong time, as long as you don't "abuse" them.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
No, not according to the PR Porsche claims for them. According to Porsche they should last forever.

<cough, bullsh*t,cough>
very popular misconception that uninformed salesmen mislead buyers with.(knowingly or unknowingly)

Last edited by Porsche917; 07-31-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
didnt mean to be coy, but they do wear, just not the same as cast iron, they will crack between holes, there is a certain tolerable amount of cracking, but once it gets excessive they should be replaced, because when a ceramic rotor fails it fails in a big way, just look at the c5r at sebring that had one explode at the end of a straight, and when that happens the pistons come out of the calipers and your pedal goes to the floor, also more common on the earlier 1st gen pccb's the rotor material would flake away especially after being overheated severely, although not as common on the gen 2 version of the rotors there are actually small dime size castings in the rotor of a different material that will flake away similar as way to be able to tell if the rotors are seeing signs of wear and excessive heating. But yes they do hold up a lot better and last longer than cast iron, and if they dont see a lot of heavy track abuse they will last a long time.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tocho
Took my 997 RS to the dealer to chge brake pads, oil, etc. Calls me today and tells me "next time around" I will need new (pccb) rotors. Car has 8,500 miles and have done about 15 track days. Does this sound right???

Thanks for the feedback

It really depends on how you use them. They will wear just like a cast iron rotor..
We have over 10k miles on our Gen 1 PCCB's on our GT2 with no problems and most of those are track miles at serious speeds!

Its not uncommon for them having to be replaced. Most people destroy the rotors by shocking them - going out on the track and pounding on the brakes but not bringing them up to temp correctly. They work great and surpass any cast iron set up but they do need to be maintained, they have a narrow but very high optimum operating temperature. What causes them to fall apart and the fibers start to breaking up is that the rotors have not come up to temp and the pad material is literally ripping the rotor apart.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:28 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
How much does it cost to change rotor and pad for PCCB? I have close to 5K with several track events on it.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
It is amazing to me that the PCCB rotors might go bad in those few miles with only a few track days.
So what is it, do they warp or what?
I remember being told that they have a life-span of 180,000 miles.
I guess never believe what you are told for the most part.

I have 6,400 miles on my GT3 with hard high speed miles and track use. So far no problems. I will say that the Dymags I believe have significantly helped in the braking effort. There is significantly less pedal effort necessary to decelerate the car.
This could have an effect on the rotor life.
What do I know.

Ranger

Old 08-02-2008, 07:51 AM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
I aslo feel Dymags help a lot with the bracking in the track.
Each disc is arround 5k!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 AM
sheim911rs has a spectacular aura aboutsheim911rs has a spectacular aura aboutsheim911rs has a spectacular aura about
anyone have specific techniques for "warming up" the PCCB rotors? Do you go a typical # of turns on the warm up lap?

Old 08-02-2008, 04:55 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by luiscarlos
I aslo feel Dymags help a lot with the bracking in the track.
Each disc is arround 5k!
So it'll be over 10K to change the front set?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
BradPete is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sheim911rs
anyone have specific techniques for "warming up" the PCCB rotors? Do you go a typical # of turns on the warm up lap?
# of turns are for tyres to get the temperature.

For getting brake temperature up, You drive gently against the brakes during a warm up lap and make gentle brakings.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
So help me understand something. I am saving $$ for a GT3
If PCCBs have to be heat cycled everytime the car is driven in order not to "Shock" the rotors as stated above, Which makes since to me for track duty.....

Are PCCB's a waste of money if the GT3 is not going to be tracked? But rather a GT3 street car? Or get used to replacing 5k rotors every 10-20k miles?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How long do PCCB rotors suppose to last?