Clear bra paint protection recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:22 AM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Clear bra paint protection recommendation

I've recently purchased an S5 and had the full front end wrapped (full fenders, full hood, bumper, headlights, A-pillars, and door edges). I'm EXTREMELY happy with the work performed and HIGHLY recommend 'Shy' from http://customcleartech.com/ He's 100% mobile; he came to my house and finished the install in approximately 6 hours, from prep to finish. I found out about Shy from a referral that swears by his work. I was amazed by his install on my friend's car and decided to take the same direction as he did. I am not going to say he's the cheapest but his pricing is MORE than fair and I can assure you there is great value in his work.

My family/friends have had clear bras installed on their cars since the late 90's when most didn't even know the product existed. I've seen a ton of installs from Sh*tty to fantastic and I must say the product/install on my car is well above fantastic. Shy is extremely precise with the blade leaving a virtually seamless finish on all covered areas. He was the same guy that was trusted to do the first Aventador in our area which to me...
says a lot. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-arrives.html

One funny thing I've noticed is that ALL clear bra installers claim to be the best having something negative to say about their competitors in attempt to gain business. My recommendation is to ask for referrals and view their work in person before spending tons of money on a potentially sh*tty install. If you do a search on this board and other forums you'll see numerous detailed horror stories where the installer was clearly inexperienced.

Don't just take my word for it. Anyone local is more than welcome to see his work on my car in person.

Here's a post-install pic of Shy and my car. You can't exactly see the film but you get the idea....

Shy
301-221-8166
http://customcleartech.com/

Old 12-25-2011, 10:02 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Good to know looks like he does great work. Always nice to have a list of service providers who can do high quality work for customers. Nice write up and recomendation! Rob at proform has done a couple of cars for me and has done a great job. There are a couple of others in the area... Skip and raja who have been doing this for many years.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:40 AM
airbrush1 has a spectacular aura aboutairbrush1 has a spectacular aura about
When I repaint the vette, I'll most certainly be getting this done!

Old 12-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Nico Suave is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by r_matt_6
I am not going to say he's the cheapest but his pricing is MORE than fair and I can assure you there is great value in his work.
So what did he charge you?

Old 12-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
I'll be contacting him today for later this week. Also interested in what I should expect to pay, in general, for this service as I have never seen or heard what this typically runs. Entire front bumper and portion of hood. Any ideas? Pm your guestimates if you are uncomfortable posting.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 AM
WeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really niceWeisachWilli is just really nice
Originally Posted by Scott in SS MD
I'll be contacting him today for later this week. Also interested in what I should expect to pay, in general, for this service as I have never seen or heard what this typically runs. Entire front bumper and portion of hood. Any ideas? Pm your guestimates if you are uncomfortable posting.
For partial hood & fenders + whole bumper direct retail (meaning not sold in new car dealer as an option) I'd say expect b/w $600 & $700. For full front end with whole hood and fenders I'd say exepct b/w $1.1k and $1.3k. Unless a crazy big front end like on a v12 Ferrari or Rolls Phantom or smthng like that.

And that is for a quality name brand film like one of 3M's or Avery Denison. There are knock-off chinese films that are not even close to the real item and sm. fraction of cost.

If working out of car and in people's home garages not supporting overhead of properly lit, climate controlled & air filtrated facility could & should be cheaper. I'm curious to hear.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:54 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sunir
Good to know looks like he does great work. Always nice to have a list of service providers who can do high quality work for customers. Nice write up and recomendation! Rob at proform has done a couple of cars for me and has done a great job. There are a couple of others in the area... Skip and raja who have been doing this for many years.
Hey Sunir- I've had Rob do several of my cars and he is top-notch as well and stands behind his work 100%. He did one of my cars back in '01 where the product/install actually outlasted the car; no peeling, discoloration, etc.

I cannot speak on behalf of any of the other installers, I'm just speaking through my personal experience. I'm sure there's other great installers out there. I just feel it's best to look at previous work and speak with true references before blindly giving in to a sales pitch or going with the 'lower' price.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
I've seen Robs work in person as well and it is very good, excellent customer service too. I would absolutely make sure you view any installers work IN PERSON before scheduling an appointment. Pictures don't always show the true story.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Nico Suave is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by r_matt_6
I am not going to say he's the cheapest but his pricing is MORE than fair and I can assure you there is great value in his work.
Originally Posted by Nico Suave
So what did he charge you?
What did he charge you?

Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Nico Suave
What did he charge you?
PM'ed you. I'm sure there are several variables taken into consideration when given a quote (vehicle type, add-ons, place of install, etc.) so I think it's only fair the pricing is left to the installer. Most installers also have several packages you can chose from; partial hood/fenders to full hood/fenders and so on...

Old 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Bonefish has a spectacular aura aboutBonefish has a spectacular aura aboutBonefish has a spectacular aura about
Weisach is about right on the price..mine was around the $1300 mark. And Rob of Proform totally stands behind his work. I had to get my front lower part done again thanks to the first guy who detailed my car. He did not wipe down under the front nose. I did not notice and did not at time of install as the bumper was wet. When it dried you could tell. Rob took it off and put it back on for free. Totally my fault for not paying more attention. I'd only let him touch my car for this. And hopefully he will soon on my second sports car....

Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Former Vendor
IMA Motorsport will become famous soon enoughIMA Motorsport will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Best of the best

IMO nobody comes close in clearbra to Auto Armour Films & Finishes.Cliff is the man! He is used by the most **** retentive individuals in the area.

Give him a try you will not be disappointed

Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
I went with Cutting Edge from the other thread referal as they were able to do the tint, lights tinted and clear bra. Unfortunately, my expectations superceded their capabilities on the clear bra. I was sold on a computerized lazer cut technology custom tailored to my car. I thought that was top of the line since it was mentioned a few times. Little did I know that their process is in no way atrue 100% frontal coverage, but simply a very basic overlay that exposes more than 60% of the most vulnerable areas prone to chipping. The laser fitament is crap and the seams......well, there just is no uniform alignment. Period. The inners of both upper and lower grilles, fog light bezels, hood lip, etc. are all still completely exposed. To do these they would have to add pieces, thus charging additional.

Moral of this story. Research whether you want to pay for a custom 100% wrap or just an overlay. Based on the price points, I probably should have known. My learning curve is now your advantage.

I will be contacting Shy or Raj in the next day or two to see if any of my install is salvageable, but I expect not.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Bonefish has a spectacular aura aboutBonefish has a spectacular aura aboutBonefish has a spectacular aura about
I went with Cutting Edge from the other thread referal as they were able to do the tint, lights tinted and clear bra. Unfortunately, my expectations superceded their capabilities on the clear bra. I was sold on a computerized lazer cut technology custom tailored to my car. I thought that was top of the line since it was mentioned a few times. Little did I know that their process is in no way atrue 100% frontal coverage, but simply a very basic overlay that exposes more than 60% of the most vulnerable areas prone to chipping. The laser fitament is crap and the seams......well, there just is no uniform alignment. Period. The inners of both upper and lower grilles, fog light bezels, hood lip, etc. are all still completely exposed. To do these they would have to add pieces, thus charging additional.

Moral of this story. Research whether you want to pay for a custom 100% wrap or just an overlay. Based on the price points, I probably should have known. My learning curve is now your advantage.

I will be contacting Shy or Raj in the next day or two to see if any of my install is salvageable, but I expect not.
Scott....I'd call who did mine to discuss. I think he may be able to help or at least provide you some direction. It's worth a call. You can tell him I sent you ......I know he does have his cut on a machine. Mine was cut on the machine but, is covered quite well....I don't think I'm really unprotected. The only next step would be to wrap the whole car...which I think is unnecessary. Let me know if you want Rob's info.

Sorry to hear your story...It's one of those things that is expensive and hard to just tear off and start over. Not like switching wheels or something else you can sell for what you like better.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
GTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to beholdGTLaser is a splendid one to behold

Only good laser cutting I've seen is for tint......

Call Cliff next time, have my RRS over there right now doing a full clear on the front along with painting a few parts and HST front bumper conversion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear bra paint protection recommendation