Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grrr tax issues with my e-Hybrid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
Grrr tax issues with my e-Hybrid

I received a letter from the IRS Monday. They feel my tax credit for purchasing a Panamera S e Hybrid was a "miscalculation" and sent me a bill for $4,756 (the credit plus interest). I guess someone at the IRS doesn't believe Porsche makes a plug-in hybrid, even though they specify the credits for all three relevant models (918, PSeH, Cayenne SeH) on their web page.

Calling them ended up with the automated system saying they were "too busy" to deal with my call, and hanging up. So I had to write them a letter. The uncertainty is frustrating - will I get a quick "oops sorry" from them? Will they dig in their heels, and force me to request an audit?

I keep projecting my experience with various tech support people on my expectations. Which has varied from rule-following robots to completely reasonable, rational and competent people. It's pretty clear that whoever initially looked at my return belongs in the former category.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:17 PM
ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !
I filed my customary extension. Hope you get it figured out before I file much later this year.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
Yikes, very interested in hearing what the outcome is. I also submitted for the tax credit on my Cayenne SEH, which was $5,333 due to a slightly larger battery.

The IRS guys are all probably driving Leafs.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:46 AM
bishopdablack is on a distinguished road
i did mine over turbo tax.. it requires you to put the in the vin.. i got a letter saying it was in correct but it only deducted 500 from my refund and sent me the difference.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:08 PM
If you got a letter saying your tax credit was "incorrect," and it's clear you reported the correct amount, you need to escalate it the way I'm doing. I've been reading on the subject, and apparently the IRS makes a lot of mistakes in these "math error" letters every year, but most taxpayers just go along with it and let it stand because they assume the IRS must be correct. I thought my case was unusual, but apparently it's not.

I've used Turbo Tax most years, but I used H&R Block this year because Quicken decided the Deluxe version wouldn't handle capital gains anymore. Which is a complicated story in itself. Anyway, I filed a 8936 ("Qualified Plug In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit") with the program, and that form wants a VIN, which I supplied.

My best guess? The 8936 doesn't have nearly enough space to type "Panamera S e Hybrid," and some drone looked at "Panamera SeH," didn't get an exact match, and disallowed it without checking the VIN or what Porsche models had credits. The stories I've read on the web say this generally gets resolved if you write, but the process is often slow, 2-4 months being typical times quoted.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:21 PM
In mostly-unrelated news, I also discovered yesterday that I missed out on a $1500 Massachusetts rebate program for buying electric and plug-in electric cars. I didn't know about it because it started between the time I ordered (April last year) and the time I actually received the car (August). You have to apply for the rebate within 3 months of receiving the car, so it's too late now.

Ah, well. That one I can just chalk up to user error - though it sure would have been nice if the dealership had known about it when I took delivery.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:54 PM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
I also used Turbo Tax. No IRS letter yet (knock on wood).

I did just received a $500 rebate check from my power company for installing an EVSE (charger) in my home. So make sure you check rebate programs with your utility company.

I ended up buying a $500 unit at Home Depot (Schneider Electric EVlink 30 Amp) because the stock "cabinet" was way too big for my garage. Only use the Porsche charger (that I keep in the bag) at the airport.

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 05-04-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:46 PM
I tried calling again today, because the IRS phone system tells you to call back on Wednesday or Thursday. I gave it an additional week so they might have my letter in the system.

I did get through, and they hadn't received my written reply, but it looks like the data for the form 8936 (Plug-in Electric Vehicle Credit) just wasn't in their system. Their records said I had submitted an 8936, but it had "no data." I suspect an issue with the H&R Block software I used.

I ended up faxing - faxing! - a printed copy of the 8936. I was told to expect a delay of 3 weeks or so before I got a written notice that my return was corrected.

We'll see what happens.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:22 PM
bishopdablack is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
I also used Turbo Tax. No IRS letter yet (knock on wood).

I did just received a $500 rebate check from my power company for installing an EVSE (charger) in my home. So make sure you check rebate programs with your utility company.

I ended up buying a $500 unit at Home Depot (Schneider Electric EVlink 30 Amp) because the stock "cabinet" was way too big for my garage. Only use the Porsche charger (that I keep in the bag) at the airport.

My intent is to run two outlets one from inside the garage and one outside buy the driveway ... my logic is to put them both on the same circut because i'm never going to use them both at the same time. but it leaves me the option of charging outside and inside

Old 05-22-2015, 09:55 AM
arporsche is on a distinguished road
Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 AM
That's a nicely formatted page. Personally, I used the IRS pages, as linked from the form 8936 instructions.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 PM
I received a letter - 2 letters, actually - today from the IRS, notifying me that they had corrected my return, and that I now owed $0. It's all squared away.

So yeah, when it's a relatively simple error, you can talk to the IRS and get things fixed, and it doesn't really take as long as I'd read. It's not fast, but it was 2-3 weeks.