996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Water injection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM
powerstar is on a distinguished road
Water injection

Has anybody experience with a water injection system?

http://www.cartronic-motorsport.de/p...wasserinj.html

Old 01-02-2008, 03:50 PM
ace996 is on a distinguished road
Yes, on two cars.... supercharged Vette and WRX-STI. It is amazing and does so much more than just add immediatepower. With the P-cars though, you'll often find a chilly response to WI as there are few who use it, less who understand how to use it, and even fewer that know how to tune appropriately for it...as it's not an easy thing to find someone to "dyno-tune" YOUR car with it (the only way to really run WI).

Be good
TomK

Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM
esemes is on a distinguished road
i used meth injection (pure meth, no water, but same delivery) on an sti, too.

a switchable map for this is best (on the fly imo) as meth gets pricey.

www.alkycontrol.com (made my system) call and ask Julio (owner) about it. he's very straightforward and has years of experience.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Gary in BR is on a distinguished road
This is becoming popular with us boxster guys as we try to get more power.

There are a few guys who are looking into adding this to their Boxsters.

Thanks for the lead on someone who has done this.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
This is becoming popular with us boxster guys as we try to get more power.

There are a few guys who are looking into adding this to their Boxsters.

Thanks for the lead on someone who has done this.
The real benefit comes with a turbo/supercharger, as N/A motors don't respond as well...but benefits are still there.

Es,
Yeah, I had Julio's kit for my vette...awesome kit but I wantedto go with a mix....meth evaporated WAY too fast on it's own in the Summer and I currently use the 12liter tank in the trunk, which feeds the stock I/C sprayer tank....yep, 4 gallons of 66%meth/34%water. Gained 40whp and almost twice that in wtq.

I still can't believe that someone doesn't offer a kit for the TT... unbelieveable.

Be good,
TomK

Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
I believe Craig was the first or one of the first to try it on his car although I don't know how it worked out and why it was removed.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Methanol/water injection

I love the idea of using meth/water injection. Methanol is 130 octane
and is a refrigerant. Cooling charged air and eliminating pre detonation
from low octane fuel. Snow Performance has experience with Porsche's.
http://www.snowperformance.net/

Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Whats great about the Meth/water injection that it's Race gas on demand..It can be tuned MAP or MAF based. In other words at low boost it wont be used (no waste) then on high boost BAAAM! I currently have it on my Callaway ..The problem with the TT is TUNING!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
I am looking into doing this in my SC'ed Boxster just gotta figure out how.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
I believe Craig was the first or one of the first to try it on his car although I don't know how it worked out and why it was removed.
I used two independant Aquamist systems, both fed by my window washer resevoir -- 50/50 mix of water and methonal. The first system sprayed into my y-pipe just before my throttle body and was boost actuated. The second system sprayed into each of my intercoolers, and was also boost actuated, although I had a manual override switch so that I could soak the intercoolers before launch.

I removed the systems because I was concerned about excesively diluting the air/fuel mixture (that concern has nothing to do with the IC sprays, but I pulled it all out together). The intake spray dilutes the air/fuel, thereby minimally reducing the octane of the fuel entering the chamber. If tuned properly, the minimal reduction in octane is more than offset by the cooling of the air/fuel mixture, thereby increasing power. However, if not tuned properly (e.g., if too much methonal/water is introduced too early), the reduced octane could be detrimental. My system was not dyno-tuned to ensure the correct balance. Therefore, I was unsure whether my system was genuinely beneficial or not.

As others have already observed, the key to successful water injection is dyno-tuning to ensure the correct balance in terms of when and how much water/methonal is introduced into the air/fuel mixture. If done correctly, the upside is well documented.

The Aquamist system is very well made -- I highly recommend it.

Regards,

Craig

Old 01-02-2008, 06:24 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craig
I used two independant Aquamist systems, both fed by my window washer resevoir -- 50/50 mix of water and methonal. The first system sprayed into my y-pipe just before my throttle body and was boost actuated. The second system sprayed into each of my intercoolers, and was also boost actuated, although I had a manual override switch so that I could soak the intercoolers before launch.

I removed the systems because I was concerned about excesively diluting the air/fuel mixture (that concern has nothing to do with the IC sprays, but I pulled it all out together). The intake spray dilutes the air/fuel, thereby minimally reducing the octane of the fuel entering the chamber. If tuned properly, the minimal reduction in octane is more than offset by the cooling of the air/fuel mixture, thereby increasing power. However, if not tuned properly (e.g., if too much methonal/water is introduced too early), the reduced octane could be detrimental. My system was not dyno-tuned to ensure the correct balance. Therefore, I was unsure whether my system was genuinely beneficial or not.

As others have already observed, the key to successful water injection is dyno-tuning to ensure the correct balance in terms of when and how much water/methonal is introduced into the air/fuel mixture. If done correctly, the upside is well documented.

The Aquamist system is very well made -- I highly recommend it.

Regards,

Craig
+1 The problem is very few people Have somebody that can custom tune the TT . Otherwise this would be Killer for us.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
you do see meth injection alot on other FI cars , im suprised that the p car guys havent made an attempt to get more familiar with it. i have it on my evo and i love it.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I've dyno'd 880 TQ at the wheels in my 7.4L Supercharged Suburban with 94 octane and NO intercoolers. I have a 9 or 10 gallon/hour injector and use 60% water / 40% meth. The water/meth injection allows me to run 12 lbs of boost and loads of timing on 94 octane.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
This has been brought up a few times, once by myself:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...meth+injection

I have been using it in my SR20 powered Z3 and layed down 530 to the wheels out of a 2 liter. It is VERY popular with the DSM, EVO, STI guys.

I was going to try it out in the Porsche. Was thinking of using a piggyback such as the Apexi Fuel controller. A friend of mine came up with the idea as he used one on a Audi S4 build up to control the meth. The VAFC has two seperate maps. If one were to wire the H20/Meth injection to send a signal to the V-AFC (when spraying) then you can dial down the injectors to get the correct A/F ratio. Just an idea....

Last edited by dgreen78; 01-03-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Go here and read some of this...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937176

VERY GOOD INFO.

Craig,
Octane dilution?...not many substances known to man that supresses detonation better than water. Without leaning your IDCs (injector duty cycles) your AFRs were probably very rich and would be detrimental to a properly running car.

Here's my dyno from a "mail-order" tune to a custom dyno-tune with meth/water injection. And I have absolutely no heat soak whatsoever...

Boost and AFR curves...

And here's where I keep the 12liter container....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water injection