996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Water injection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is on a distinguished road
You are both correct. Everyone here is stating valid points so this is in no way a debate. You can add a WI kit just for insurance or you can go the edge of the envelope with proper tuning and a properly set up methanol kit. I've seen many cars with improper setups lose considerable power and transient response because the tuning didn't compliment the addition of the system. I have installed numerous kits as well and I have customers who didn't lose engines when the kits failed and those who have. I don't consider it paranoia when I caution someone against adding an additional system to the mix. It's important to know if it's really necessary for that individual to reach their intended goals with the car. If it's simply "extra insurance" to help protect the engine, then great. If an individual comes to me and asks to approach the edge then it's only prudent for me to ask them if they're prepared to trust their investment to that system. Again... valid points all the way around. WI has been around since WWII... there's a reason for that! Best of luck!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
ace996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tym Switzer
You are both correct. Everyone here is stating valid points so this is in no way a debate. You can add a WI kit just for insurance or you can go the edge of the envelope with proper tuning and a properly set up methanol kit. I've seen many cars with improper setups lose considerable power and transient response because the tuning didn't compliment the addition of the system. I have installed numerous kits as well and I have customers who didn't lose engines when the kits failed and those who have. I don't consider it paranoia when I caution someone against adding an additional system to the mix. It's important to know if it's really necessary for that individual to reach their intended goals with the car. If it's simply "extra insurance" to help protect the engine, then great. If an individual comes to me and asks to approach the edge then it's only prudent for me to ask them if they're prepared to trust their investment to that system. Again... valid points all the way around. WI has been around since WWII... there's a reason for that! Best of luck!
Tim,
If you've the ability to properly tune a 996TT with a meth/water kit, with the intended purpose of roadcourse work and a modest increase in power (50hp/50tq), then I will make your shop the FIRST place I bring my car after I bring it home....I promise.

The ability to fight heasoak, add realized octane, increase spool SUBTANTIALLY, and keep the combustion chambers clean are the reasons why I've run WI on my FI vehicles.

The "bang for the buck" is also a major bonus. Once someone has done the basic few mods, it becomes quite expensive to add 50whp. A good Snow kit with the fail-safes can be installed for under $1K, an Aquamist with the failsafes can be done for under $1500. Last I checked, once you're running an XYZ600 stage, it gets much more expensive to add power - ( I added 40AWHP AND 80AWTQ to my STI for under a grand, and we left a good amount of power on the table for safety).
The WI would add that extra little bit and provide a good amount of safety for those who push pedal for periods of time (roadcourse, high-speed runs, ect).

With enough demand, one of these tuners will take the plunge....for real...and that will be a good thing for everyone. There's a reason why WI is so popular in the turbo/blown world, that reason just hasn't made it to this segment yet. When it does, I bet it'll go viral....and someone will make a great deal of money (listening, tuners????).
Be good,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 01-05-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned
Mitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the rough
I am going to jump in this real quick.

I have been tuning WI for years now. I recommend water injection to anyone who is forced induction. I just tuned a 350z that was twin turbo and we used the Aquamist HSF-5 and it made killer power.

Having the ability to essentially run race gas all the time for half the price is wonderful. I see the down falls that people see but if set up properly there is no substitute for WI. It is quite easily one of the best bang for the buck modifications that can be done.

WI has come along ways just in the past years in terms of failsafes. There are a bunch of different options like pulling timing, limiting boost etc.. For them to destroy an engine would almost be hard to do IF SETUP RIGHT.

I am going to talk with Dan and try and test this. We should be able to pick up big power, especially if we can up the boost a bit on our 650 kit.

I will keep you guys posted.

Mitch Mckee

Old 01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Former Vendor
LARennsport will become famous soon enough
Mitch....that's excellent...do you have ability to do 993TT as well?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mitch@Vivid

I am going to talk with Dan and try and test this. We should be able to pick up big power, especially if we can up the boost a bit on our 650 kit.

Mitch Mckee
Thats would be great Mitch! I am sure you would get A LOT of interest if you pursue this. Do you plan on running a piggyback or using the stock ECU to tune it in? Is there a way to run switchable maps with the stock ECU?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:40 AM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Wi

Originally Posted by Mitch@Vivid

I have been tuning WI for years now. I recommend water injection to anyone who is forced induction. I just tuned a 350z that was twin turbo and we used the Aquamist HSF-5 and it made killer power.

Having the ability to essentially run race gas all the time for half the price is wonderful. I see the down falls that people see but if set up properly there is no substitute for WI. It is quite easily one of the best bang for the buck modifications that can be done.

WI has come along ways just in the past years in terms of failsafes. There are a bunch of different options like pulling timing, limiting boost etc.. For them to destroy an engine would almost be hard to do IF SETUP RIGHT.

Mitch Mckee
Very Interested in your discovery, If I could take the 640GT to 700GT
without the fuel system upgrade, or at least be able to add timing
instead of the current pulling of timing above 5500rpm...
I am a candidate!.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
It works if tuned right, and as a side benefit it keeps the combustion chambers free of carbon deposits.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 AM
salmanq is on a distinguished road
Hi, this post is very informative; however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Property Directory | Wholesale Billiards
Wholesale Batteries
Something Directory

Old 01-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
The GT700 kit could be run on race gas file using 91 and a preperly setup kit spraying 60% water 40% meth. Starting of with heavy spray and gradually decreasing while logging timing should enable some brave soul to find the right setup.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
For those who have used it and or installed it:
Is it not true that running on water/meth messes up the plugs very fast? considering the the painful time it takes to change them I'm not sure its a practical application on everyday drivers. Anyone ?
My friend has it on a 900 rwhp P car and he says its great.. keeps the heads cool... but kills the plugs every 1500 miles.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-07-2008, 01:30 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
markski, i've never heard of plugs being fouled due to meth/water injection, unless he's just dumping the mix in without adjusting for it (ie, running way too rich.)

about a year ago, i would've been all for this. these days, i just want my car to run. the less things that can go wrong, the better.

mitch - this is how you win market share away from the others - do something different.

- chuck

Old 01-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carendt242
markski, i've never heard of plugs being fouled due to meth/water injection, unless he's just dumping the mix in without adjusting for it (ie, running way too rich.)
- chuck
IDK Bobby has it on his 993TT running twin plugs with a 3.8 L and last week put down a conservative 907 rwhp... he had it for some time now... but insists that it fouls plugs. He has been a P car fanatic for over 16 years and practically tuned something like 15 P cars so far( his own). he really knows his stuff when it comes to P cars. I'm just sharing his experience. I think he's running 60/40 mix. I wish someone who has done it on a P car would chime in... Its actually interesting.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-07-2008, 07:25 AM
UAE996TT is infamous around these parts
I wanna go for it .
Markski is right i think its better to hear fom any body done it with P car .

Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
great info here guys , lets keep it going.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned
Mitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the roughMitch@Vivid is a jewel in the rough
Some news from my end this glorious raining morning.

I just spoke with Dan and we have an HFS-5 system from Aquamist on the way. We will be installing it and doing testing on it so keep an eye out.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...m-p-35346.html

Should make great gains. I will be sure that we chart everything we do every step of the way.

Mitch

Last edited by Mitch@Vivid; 01-07-2008 at 10:30 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water injection