996 Dial Remove/Replace Help - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

996 Dial Remove/Replace Help

Old 12-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Cybernaut12 is on a distinguished road
996 Dial Remove/Replace Help

This may be covered elsewhere, but my room temperature IQ is having a hard time finding the info I need. I have decided to change the faces on my current instrument cluster from the original black to silver/aluminum (don't hate me) and have a technical question.

I just happen to have a salvage/spare instrument cluster that I have been practicing on, and it seems disassembling one is relatively easy (but delicate) work.

Here's my question: what is the best procedure when removing and replacing the needles from the dials? Specifically, removing them was easy (using a special tool that lifts them straight up), but I notice when I reinstalled the speedo and tach needles, they can easily be moved in any direction (but will remain in the position I leave them). Is this normal? How best to calibrate where the needle should be placed prior to reinstalling the cluster and firing up the car?

If anyone has another forum entry/link, pics, or even step-by-step verbiage that describes changing the dial faces (and addresses concerns/tips for the needles), I'd appreciate it. Thanks and I apologize in advance if I've created a duplicate post.

FYI, my car is a 2001 C2 6-Spd Manual Coupe.

Last edited by Cybernaut12; 12-07-2017 at 11:01 AM.