911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

86 911 worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:20 PM
ChrisEDH is infamous around these parts
86 911 worth it?

Am a new 6Speed member and have a question for the board....preparing to buy my first Porsche....found an 1986 911 coupe in perfect condition, black on black, absolutely mint...33K documented orginal miles, all service records back to new, California car it's entire life (confirmed through Carfax), garaged and covered. Was not advertised...found it through somebody who knew somebody....

My question, $25K reasonable for a car in this shape? Anything I should look for in particular (AC upgraded to R134...blows cold)? Someone told me for $25k I should buy an Turbo of the same year, but I can't find any in that range...

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:53 PM
racerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond repute
Based on the low miles and how you describe the car, $25K is fair. But are you going to be using it as a driver, or just some times?? AC wise, you can upgrade that.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
You may want to look for old issues of Excellence Magazine..find the most recent issue you can with Market Reports for 1980's 911's..

It sounds like a fair price..I've had a 1987 and a 1982 and regret selling both of them..

Good luck..

Old 06-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Bestof5 is infamous around these parts
Sounds like a nice car. BUY IT -

Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM
911 in SC is infamous around these parts
As much as I want to say BUY IT, I have to say GET A PPI first! With those few miles, there may be quite a few parts that have deteriorated over the past 20 years. Good luck, and it sounds like a VERY nice car.

Later,
Mike

Old 06-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the replies....I am going to drive it...although try to limit the annual mileage to 5K. Didn't want to spend that much, but the car is so clean it blew me away....paint is like new...not a scratch, chip or ding...will post pics after I pick it up tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 PM
racerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChrisEDH
Thanks for the replies....I am going to drive it...although try to limit the annual mileage to 5K. Didn't want to spend that much, but the car is so clean it blew me away....paint is like new...not a scratch, chip or ding...will post pics after I pick it up tomorrow.
Good job, the reason I asked about the miles is, if you are going to drive the snot out of it, why pay a high price for a low mile car. This sounds like a great events type car, you will enjoy it!! Mike makes a very good point on the PPI & the deteriorated parts, that is one reason to stay away from low mile 930s, seals & bushings dry out. I picked up a car once, shifted great, low miles, sat in storage, but the shift bushings deteriorated right away (dried out from sitting) and wasn't a fun driver when they crumbled to dust.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
Thats a decent price for an 86. Dont trust any Carfax...get a PPI done for sure. Prices will be moving higher on the 3.2's in the next couple years. The SC's have already started to move up in price and will keep getting higher. I have seen some nice SC's go for mid/high 20's. You could not touch mine for less than mid 20's.

There are great finds out there for crazy cheap...you just need to be in the right place at the right time.

You will not find anything "turbo" for under $30,000 that is worth a ****...or I should say if you do...you will pay dearly to get it right again.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Here is another one you might want to check out.

FS: 1986 911 Carrera 69K $14,000
I bought this car to backdate with but it's too nice to chop up. It just turned 69,000 miles. Being in the RGruppe I couldn't leave it stock so it has a Steve Wong chip, SS polished Dansk 84mm tip, and test pipe. The original muffler, cat and stock chip come with the car if you want to stay stock. I am not sure what the options were for 86 but I wouldn't doubt this one has most if not all. It has sport clutch, short shift, Alpine CD, A/C is cool (not as cold as our lexus),PM, PB, drilled rotors, PW. The car drives and feels like a new car. There is a tear in the drivers seat, and the rear tires are down to the tread wear bars, the front tires are new. The bad or the rub, the original owner lived on South Beach, Miami and the salt air has broken down a couple of spots in the paint. These cars were galvinaized really well so I wasn't worried about it comparred to my early cars. The car looks great from 5 feet and would be fine as a daily driver or paint it and you've got a sweet ride. I figured that a really low milage car would cost $20,000. I am asking $14,000 due to it needing a paint job. Please email me instead of PMs please.
richard_uhlman@hotmail.com

Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Bought it.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback....bought the car this weekend, and it lived up to the billing...car is mint (see pic)...better condition than most two year old cars...let alone 20. Been driving it all weekend and really enjoy it.

I will submit another thread for input on mods/upgrades (keep in mind I live in CA)...based on the low mileage and condition probably will just enjoy for the next year or two as is...

Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2007, 09:32 AM
flatsixnut is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your first...you will never forget it. Looks great as is. Please whatever you might do to the car.....dont put aftermarket wheels on it, or you will be banned.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Wheels

Those pristine Fuchs are what closed the deal for me....I think I am more paranoid about a scratch on a wheel than any place else on the car....

They will never be replaced...or yes, I should be banned.

When I talked about mods/upgrades, thinking more sutble performance tweaks....lowering to Euro ride specs, factory short shift, turbo tie rod ends, etc., but not sure what is really worth doing, and...don't want to devalue the car in anyway.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:55 PM
911 in SC is infamous around these parts
Congrats! She looks great. Now get out there and drive it!!! Enjoy it the way you should.

Later,
Mike

Old 06-05-2007, 04:23 PM
GarnetRedCoupe is infamous around these parts
Great looking ride, it sounds like you got a lot of car for the money!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ChrisEDH
Those pristine Fuchs are what closed the deal for me....I think I am more paranoid about a scratch on a wheel than any place else on the car....

They will never be replaced...or yes, I should be banned.

When I talked about mods/upgrades, thinking more sutble performance tweaks....lowering to Euro ride specs, factory short shift, turbo tie rod ends, etc., but not sure what is really worth doing, and...don't want to devalue the car in anyway.
Pretty much everything you are thinking about is worth doing, go with a Steve Wong chip & cat pipe, but keep the OEM bits. Factory tail & front spoiler for later on. Be careful what you clean the rims with, you can cloud up the clear coat. Good looking Carrera