914/914-6
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding a 914

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned
vincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to behold
Rebuilding a 914

How much would it cost to rebuild a 914 from the ground up?
I run on a high school track and for a few months have seen an old 914 sitting in an autoshop yard parked. Today I talked to the teacher and can buy it for $300 to $500...My cousin owns a body shop so all the body work I can get done easily and painted...It needs to be redone though.. It looks so sad right now, but I would love to bring it to life again..Is it worth it? I love love 914's, and have a new 06' 997!! How much is an engine? I wanted to look at this as a fun project, but is it worth it??

Old 02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Hey,
Contact dmilzoff here on the board. He built a beautiful 914-6 with a 3.2 (it is currently in the for sale section).
Good luck!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Banned
vincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to behold
thank you luis993

I PM'ed him..thanks alot!
The joy of rebuilding excites me.

Last edited by vincenzina; 02-27-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 AM
dmilzoff is on a distinguished road
I've owned my 914-6 for 14 years. It was an original 6 with a 3.0 liter engine and fender flares. After 14 years, the engine was leaking so much oil (after 200 miles per year use), that I decided to replace the engine (now 3.2 liter). Then, since one shock was leaking, I replaced all 4 springs and shocks and also installed new Carrera brakes all around.
The work this past summer cost about $ 15K (although I did get a credit on the old engine). Last year I had the pedal box rebuilt, a new SS heat exchanger, some paint/body work to repair minor rust, battery, carb work on the old engine. I spent about $ 5k over the past 1 1/2 years in addition to the $ 15K. Was it worth it? I'm selling the car now so I can get a track car. Since the car had a solid body, I figured it was worth it if I were to keep it. I will never get the money back. It now needs carpets, upholstry, some body work to make it a show car, but it is now a great street car with virtually new engine and mechancials. Over the past 14 years, I have invested over $ 50K (gee, I wish I didn't add that up.) I'm trying to sell it now for $ 29. You figure it out.
Any interest in a great car which needs some TLC to make it a show car?

David
e-mail me if you have any questions or want pics.
dmilzoff@usa.net

Old 02-27-2006, 11:25 AM
racerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond repute
Are you going to keep it a 4 banger?? Are you going to keep it stock?? All of these make us the expense of a rebuild. You don't even want to know what has been spent on my GT clone and how much it is going to cost to finish. I also have a light weight twin plug 4 banger on the back burner.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned
Red face 20k I dunno what I think

Appreciating this info...............
In the mid 90's I set out to buy a 914...I was really determined.
I kept looking in the paper which started a fun journey...
Some 914's at that time were in great shape, garaged and others were beat up. Did research on the car and wanted the 914-6...
Long story short, my father sat me down and said Vik dont buy a used Porsche, problems, problems, buy a new Porsche with a warranty (old school), so I stopped looking and happily ordered a new '99 Boxster. My heart is still with Porsche's 70's version of the 914, at least now I realize the 'whole' thing must be rebuilt from scratch. So I would spend 10k no problem, maybe 15k...spread it out over a few years as a fun 'PP Porsche Project.....Now, I'd like to see pics of the one you redid.
Wowy, your selling it for 29k.. The money adds up quick with all the different things needed over time. I cant do the work, got to hire someone... yeah its costly..,but the end result would be pure satisfaction!!

Old 02-27-2006, 04:26 PM
racerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond repute
Here are pix of the engine going into mine. You should be able to build a nice 4 banger in that price range. Mine is crazy since I'm using factory flares, RSR hood mount fog lights, 8&9X16 street (8&9X15 Fuchs for concours), Konig seats (rare Recaro 914 seat for concours) 930 brakes and a whole slew of other cool, hard to find bits. Are you going to keep it 4 lug wheels or go to 5 lug lug wheels? I can help with parts as I have tons of extra stuff and a few good sources for more parts. Feel free to e-mail me at me911bvd@comcast.net if you have any questions.

Attached Images      
Old 03-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Banned
914 revivial

My first thought how big that engine looked for that little car, but really cool, and clean it is. The pics are great. I am gonna wait for the teacher at the school to call me..who knows what will happen.
Thanks David 2 for the pics...factory flares

Old 03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
For many years I have been collecting parts and building my 914-6GT clone. Well, now it is time to start putting the car together. The engine is ready, a twin plug 3.0 built by iSystems. Gary Stratton of Stratton Motorsports will be adding the NOS factory steel flairs, making the mods to the front trunk for the RSR oil cooler, maybe even a cage. To really step up the clone, I have a set of RSR Cribie hood mount fog lights going on it too.

The int. I have for concours, a rare 914 Recaro sport seat, and Konigs for the rest of the time, a 12" MOMO steering wheel & ****, a factory 914-6 dash & steering colum, I am drifting from stock by using a pair of Getty Design door panels and carbon fiber dash insets.

The engine for my 914-6GT clone.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Banned
cool

You got the parts going on......
great pics, when do you expect the engine to be in
this is the fun part...right?

Old 05-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Are you still looking to build a 914??