Found a high mileage 87 930, worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 AM
NaplesBound is just really niceNaplesBound is just really niceNaplesBound is just really niceNaplesBound is just really nice
Found a high mileage 87 930, worth it?

Hey guys. I just recently found an 87 930 for a little under $30,000. I haven't had a ppi done because I do t know if it's really worth it. The car looks to be in good shape but it also has 114,000 miles on it too. Are they still worth it if well taken care of? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 AM
NaplesBound is just really niceNaplesBound is just really niceNaplesBound is just really niceNaplesBound is just really nice
Ok, a little more info on the car. I spoke with the salesman and he told me the car has had two owners. New tires, reconditioned steering wheel and seats, new shifter and linkage. Appartently the last owner just wanted a car with a more comfortable ride to it since he is getting older. Plus the car is completely stock. Is it worth the $30,000 price tag with that high of mileage? I don't want it as a daily driver but definitely more than just a weekend fun toy. Thanks guys

Chris

Old 02-27-2010, 07:31 AM
TurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud of
I would say more like $23-25K with those miles. Did you ask to see if they have any service records?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
yup 25,000 tops, and it better be near perfect, you could dump 10-15 in her in the blink of a eye at that mileage. And for 35-45 you can get a low mileage ready to go car to enjoy for years.
IMHO

Old 02-27-2010, 02:23 PM
They have the records but I have yet to see them. The car is about 2 hours away from me. I plan on going next week if it is still around. They have it priced at $29 and some change. Maybe I can get them to knock a little off, but I doubt it would be more than a grand.

That's why I asked if it was even worth getting a porsche tech to even do an inspection on it. The car looks to be in great condition, but you can't always judge a book by it's cover, right? Here is a link to the car:

http://www.presidentialautoleasing.c...JB0939HS050391

Thanks again for the opinions guys

Chris

Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 AM
frabouden is on a distinguished road

2 years ago, I bought an '89 930S targa (factory slant nose - one of 3 made in '89) that had 109,000 highway miles - was pretty rough - just spent about $30K in mechanical and cosmetic restauration with THE premium Porsche shop in Northern CA - saw one of the other 2 sold 2 months ago for $90K+ ... old Porsche never die, they just appreciate and they are worth spending money to keep them up! and 930's are indeed appreciating!!

Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Cosmetically(spelling?) speaking the car looks good. I obviously will look over the car in person before buying, but it's the mechanics that I'm worried about. That is why I want to have a Porsche tech look at it first. I don't know if there is anything special I need to watch out for with it being a high mileage 3.3l. I guess that's my real question. Is there anything I need to look for in particular?

Chris

Old 02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Beautiful slantnose by the way. Enjoy in good health my friend.

Chris

Old 02-28-2010, 04:01 PM
TurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud of
Chris, I personally would pass on this one. You can find one with half the miles for $30-35K.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the advice. I always see people saying you can find one in the $30-35 range but I never see them. Maybe I just have bad luck or don't look in the right places. I know this one is steep on the mileage end. I don't want to drop $30 grand just to drop another $20 or $30 just to enjoy it. I don't have that kind of money to just throw into a project right off the bat. I guess I will keep looking. I don't know. The journey continues (Sebring is not gonna help.lol)

chris

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
camboinc is on a distinguished road
Chris,
I have a 79 930 guard red with cork interior 70k miles and all sorted.
I could entertain a 30k number. here are the details and a pic:

1979 930 Turbo- Guards Red with Cork Interior 69k miles
Engine out and resealed 1,000 miles ago (Oct. 08) by Motorwerks in MI
new gaskets for cam covers, timing chain boxes, rocker arms cover, turbo seals and gaskets, new oil lines, valve adjustment and a bunch more stuff.
New K27 HFS turbo from Imagine Auto
Euro Headers/Heat Exchangers
Rarly L8 stainess muffler and waste gate dump pipe
New plugs and wires, rebuilt distributor and Bosch CDI ignition.
New left rear transaxle, wheel bearings, rear shocks
Tranny rebuilt by Fred Lavery Porsche Oct 09- rear main seal and shifter linkage hardware replaced
Aftermarket Nakamichi CD400 CD Player, 600W JL Audio HD Amp amp with crossovers, Boston Acoustics Pro separates in front, alpine rear deck speakers (stock mounted) and JL Audio sub box (about $3k in the stereo)
Car Cover
Stock fuchs completely refinished and mounted/balanced with Yokohama meat- they look perfect and have not been used since they were refinished.
I have all receipts for repairs and upgrades, all the way back to the original owner. Car has never seen snow and rain on rare occasion.
I've had this car for 10 years and enjoyed it immensely.
Let me know if you are interested- I can send more pics.
Thanks

Brian

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 PM
99C2 is on a distinguished road
camboinc:

What is a car like that worth?

99C2

Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 PM
pu911 will become famous soon enough
Normally with most Porsche's you do not need to get too hung up on mileage. Turbo's are better off being driven rather than being parked. I would not hesitate to buy a higher mileage 930 if it was well cared for and documented. You definitely want a very through PPI as these are very expensive to repair.
Phil

Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by camboinc
Chris,
I have a 79 930 guard red with cork interior 70k miles and all sorted.
I could entertain a 30k number. here are the details and a pic:

1979 930 Turbo- Guards Red with Cork Interior 69k miles
Engine out and resealed 1,000 miles ago (Oct. 08) by Motorwerks in MI
new gaskets for cam covers, timing chain boxes, rocker arms cover, turbo seals and gaskets, new oil lines, valve adjustment and a bunch more stuff.
New K27 HFS turbo from Imagine Auto
Euro Headers/Heat Exchangers
Rarly L8 stainess muffler and waste gate dump pipe
New plugs and wires, rebuilt distributor and Bosch CDI ignition.
New left rear transaxle, wheel bearings, rear shocks
Tranny rebuilt by Fred Lavery Porsche Oct 09- rear main seal and shifter linkage hardware replaced
Aftermarket Nakamichi CD400 CD Player, 600W JL Audio HD Amp amp with crossovers, Boston Acoustics Pro separates in front, alpine rear deck speakers (stock mounted) and JL Audio sub box (about $3k in the stereo)
Car Cover
Stock fuchs completely refinished and mounted/balanced with Yokohama meat- they look perfect and have not been used since they were refinished.
I have all receipts for repairs and upgrades, all the way back to the original owner. Car has never seen snow and rain on rare occasion.
I've had this car for 10 years and enjoyed it immensely.
Let me know if you are interested- I can send more pics.
Thanks

Brian
Looks like a great ride and really good price. Sounds like a better deal than the original poster's car. But I would suggest lowering it. Looks way too high. Also, some stiffer torsion bars and more aggressive alignment would be a good thing too to offer better handling to match the more HP.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
The issue that the OP faces is that it is impossible to compare price and miles - at least for me. You either want a low mileage car and are willing to pay, or you don't. Or rather, it is not an issue.
I recently bought a very low miles car (it really seems to be a 'new car' from almost every respect) and that to me is priceless. Further, that feel cannot be 're-purchased' by overhauling the car, unless it is an incredibly expensive restoration.
But if that's not an issue (and it isn't for most people), then I would still search further for a mid-mileage car (50K - 70K miles). And a PPI is always required.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Found a high mileage 87 930, worth it?