951 Winter Progress...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Only 5SPEED
MPD47 will become famous soon enoughMPD47 will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb 951 Winter Progress...

I know this section doesnt see a ton of traffic, but it was suggested to me that this being a Porsche forum, I post my progress here anyway. So I'm compacting all of my build thread from October to current here for you 6speeder's who venture into hell (watercooled, front engined, 4 cylinder forum ) to see. The process is stripping the car down to a shell, removing all the undercoating and tar, creating a built NA engine to go in with the full suspension I've been running, replacing the trashed (built) 951 transaxle with a 968 unit, and running the car for a season while the 2.6L sleeved, 16v Turbo motor goes together. (You'll have to deal with some odd comments and name referances as this was originally written for rennlist and some responses are to posts over there). Anyway, Enjoy!

Originally Posted by MPD47
Ok, interior is stripped down to the dashboard, torque tube is disconnected and just needs to be pulled out tomorrow. I tried something new and dropped the entire rear end as one piece. Trailing arms, coilovers, subframe, transaxle, etc etc. Photos basically speak for themselves.

Sharing the garage with my father's car for now, so we can refresh his 40+ year old trans.

Along with a seized torque tube, here is the other reason why it's all coming apart. Blown transaxle!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Only 5SPEED
Progress from Day 2....

Ok, pulled all the bodywork (minus doors and hatch) today, along with the engine, all remaining suspension components, front crossmember, radiator, oil cooler, exhaust, crossover pipe, turbo etc. Need to pull one more brace (4 13mm bolts) and the torque tube is on the ground. Exhausted.

*gasp* where'd it go!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Only 5SPEED
Ok, didnt get THAT much done today, and was busy stripping down a GC8 STi yesterday. Actually decided to get some sleep and my back was bothering me. Anyway, here's today's progress:

Spec Stage 3k and stock flywheel

Engine with the crossover pipe of doom.

Another look at the current mess.

On the stand, waiting on me to pull the accessories and headers off. I also started pulling apart the front suspension today, but doubt I'll get back to that till late tomorrow or Monday.
And even more progress....

Old 03-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Only 5SPEED
As for progress today, we got the transmission out of the Austin Healey (UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHG) It was so not meant to fit in that car, and we ended up standing in the car and walking it out from inside. Stripped down the Porsche engine to the long block with the turbo still sitting on it. Finally finished pulling the torque tube out, which is surprisingly lighter than it looks. Stripped down the front suspension (just need to pull the coil-overs and wheels off the hubs). I REALLY need to go buy a parts washer, I always used to just do stuff with brake clean, but I'm beyond that now, need to do it correctly (and it was getting expensive). The car itself has the brake booster, some wiring, dashboard, hatch, and doors still left on it, and is sitting on a pair of mover's dollies. Gonna start stripping down the rear suspension tomorrow and finish taking the waterpump/pullies off the engine.

Torque Tube awaits new bearings and delrin inserts.

Intake and fuel rail, I like the Lindsey rail because it's well made and does the job, and I can take it off with the intake. However the anodizing sucks on it, probably going to fix that this winter.

Getting there....

Crossover pipe, stock headers, the bane of my existance.

All done for today.
Even more.... (I'm just filling that damn text per post limit).

Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Only 5SPEED
Okaayyyyyy today's update, tore down front and rear suspension, engine is down to the shortblock. Turbo is on the bench, cleaned up a bunch of parts. Cylinders look great other than a small score in #3, which wont be an issue. Transaxle is ready to go out (well, I need to put it on a pallet) to Kevin Gross late this week, early next week.

The rear end monster.

Oops.

Found an old style oil pressure regulator. Damnit, atleast I have a new style sitting aronud.

Starting to tear down

Looks mint

Cam Tower off

Crank pulley stopped me from pulling the plastic cover off and working on the water pump/front case today. Now where did that puller go....

I'm starting to have way to many engine parts on the bench, two more cylinder heads are joining those.

Current state of things... torque tube should get torn down next week
I wasnt happy about that 3 piece old style oil cooler, but I did end up finding my new style one.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Only 5SPEED
Picked up a parts car:

Posted those over in the general 924/944/968 forum, picked up an NA parts car to scavange some parts off of. Also stopped by Chris' place and saw some stuff I didnt want to see...
Just got some photos from Kevin Gross of my transaxle, ouch!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Only 5SPEED
Oh, I definitely recommened just doing it with the front stuff. You cannot leave EVERYTHING (transaxle, torque tube, the entire drivetrain) connected without a lift, unless you want to damage the shell. Seperating it front and rear it can all be taken out very easily. There was lots of random hoisting and jacking to pull the drivetrain out and drag the shell onto the trailer with the hoist. Off the the Porsche junkyard in the sky for this one. I'm eyeing another that has a few more things I need on it, more news on that later Should be pulling stuff apart today, except I think I broke/sprained a finger last night, so we'll see how much I get accomplished (explains the blurry photos).

Tearing it all down.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Only 5SPEED
Goal today was to get every bit of the drivetrain pulled to start prepping stuff from the NA. I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag, all those "Can I turbo my NA?!?" threads, yeah, we're doing the opposite, we're doing an NA engine in my turbo while we cook up the new turbo engine for the '08 season. Running it on Tec3R, with a lightweight flywheel and I'm building an individual throttle body manifold for it. Chris and I are gonna see what we can make this bad boy do, :roflmao:

Unfortunetly I ran into a bit of a problem where the bolt in the access hole, in the coupler was stripped and was stuck half way out.... thanks to the idiot mechanic who worked on this before I did, I cannot possibly see how you can strip this, but somehow he did.

Finally out, nice to know the Turbo and late NA torque tubes appear to be exactly the same in every way. I'll be running the NA one this year while I rebuild the turbo one to go back in with the new engine and gearbox next season.

The pin in the bellhousing was seized... what normally takes me 5 minutes took me an hour.... not happy about that.

Tomorrow I'll be stripping the engine, cleaning/painting and getting stuff ready for reassembly.
And more....

Old 03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Only 5SPEED
Ok, didnt do all that much today. Took one of my spare torque tubes down to bare metal and did a few coats of high temp black. Put the NA engine on the stand, stripped it to the long block. Gonna take it to the local car wash.... errr pressure washer in the morning and strip it/detail parts tomorrow. On a completely unrelated note, I liked the way the Torque tube looked stripped so I'm going to take my other one, strip it down and polish it. Should have the engine back together minus flywheel next wednesday (tenative). Goal is to have the engine back in the car and it off to the cage guys by the end of the month.

Going to be reusing that, I'll leave the spec for the turbo engine.

In rusty/usual torque tube condition.

Starting to look better

Much better

NA on the stand

Stripped and ready to be pressure washed in the AM.
I get lazy every now and then when working on it, that was a light day.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Only 5SPEED
Not a huge update for today as I'm waiting on parts to come in the mail. Cleaned the engine up, still have some area's I need to do by hand, but most of the way there.

We wont talk about where that pressure washer was...

Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Very cool. Been there done that. That torque tube/tranny/clutch job is a pain in the *** if you do it a t home. Keep us updated on the project.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Only 5SPEED
Ok, so tore into the engine tonight. Everything looks good, except the oil cooler is shot. So the engine was definitely milkshaked when I drained the fluids out. Suppose I'll be doing rod bearings and rings and just make sure everything is in top notch condition. Pulled the balance shafts out, most likely deleting them. Head looks good, valves look fine. Oh, the big complaint for tonight. Some asshat put an impact (or so it appears) on the big "nut" on the front of the cam, you know, the one that isnt a nut that is just the housing for the cheesehead. *sigh* So if anyone has a spare NA cam for sale I'd appreciate it.

New Belt covers? :roflmao:

Always feels good to pull the only mitsubishi part off my car. Hate that damn company.

Such a stupid design.

Thankfully, after test fitting, the turbo piece appears to mount up without issues.
Working on the balance shaft delete and oil cooler housings.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Only 5SPEED

Dropped off that NA parts car at the scrap yard nice to have another spot in the driveway back :thumbup:

Unfortunetly I left my ITB's at Chris' place, so I guess I'll have to go back to collect my toy at some point, damn. :roflmao:

Cell phone photo of the ITB's.

Stacks of wheels in the bedroom as I ran out of space in the basement and garage. Thankfully they were there less than a week.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Only 5SPEED
Disconnected the electrical connections on the fuel tank, and the main lines. Hopefully it'll warm up and I'll have the ***** to stay out there for more than 20 minutes and I can get the fuel tank out.

This showed up today:

Along with most of the associated 968 components

Also whipped up a quick pshop with the wheels on the car:

Okayyyy, not a huge update, but an update none the less.

968 LSD 6 Speed got here, need some cleaning but otherwise in perfect condition.

I forgot to take a photo of this stuff on the scale, but I think it came to 21#'s IIRC. (Balance shafts, covers, hardware associated with them, etc). Should rev a bit more freely.

My engine bay was always a bit of a pet peeve of mine. The firewall always looked SOOOOO messy.

So I finished my AC delete and started cleaning it up. Going to sand out the brake booster and give it a new coat, have some gold foil to coat the heat shields with, and I'm rerouting the two bundles of wires that go across the firewall so there will be absolutely nothing going there except for the ground cable to the block and the main harness poping through the firewall and below the intake.

Hmm that looks good..... guess I'll replace the clutch line with stainless while I'm at it.

More work on stripping the underbody coating. Hopefully borrowing/renting a rotisserie soon so I can do the underbody "quickly".

And I leave you with almost my entire suspension sitting in my hatch until I jack the car up get the fuel tank out and pull out the sawzall
I still need to go clean that 968 transaxle.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Only 5SPEED
More engine work.

Skip pretty much nailed it on the advantages of the Kokeln unit. As for weight I know there have been some claims around here lately as to it not really being a weight saver. I've got to buy a new scale (as I broke my old one weighing heavy parts I was going to ship) but I can say this... I can lift the Kokeln unit with one arm, the stock one, HAHAHAHAHAHHA no chance in hell.

Explanations will be brief as I'm tired.

More Carnage King transaxle shots. Have other parts still to shoot.

Most of the firewall cleaned up and starting to tuck wiring. Need to pull the dash out to really attack it. Brake booster sanded and repainted too. Hopefully I can pull the car out and pressure wash it in a week or two.

We finally found the secret to Duke and the Swedes making all that power, special 3 piece Piston Rings!

More to come with Chris making sure I dont do anything stupid. :roflmao:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 951 Winter Progress...