Can I handle a C2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 AM
BeachBum1 is on a distinguished road
Can I handle a C2?

Hi Everybody. I currently have an 03 Boxster S and am looking to trade it in for a 964. I just love the look of the classic 911 but also like the idea of having dual airbags, ABS etc. Anyway, I have no other track experience other than 2 DE days recently. I really think autocross could be something I could get into based on my limited exposure. I hear the C2 is more fun on the track than the C4, but is it a beast that can be mastered(or at least tamed) with a little track time? The C4 sounds like it would be the safe bet but in the long run, not as much fun. This would be a 3rd car used just on weekends and track days so AWD is not as big a deal for me from an inclement weather standpoint. I have seen the two threads on C2 vs C4 but I was wondering if someone could address the ease(or difficulty) of becoming proficient at driving the 964 C2 on the track/autocross.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM
canada964 will become famous soon enough
without question for the track or racing in general especially if you intend on doing a little racer's driver ed., c2 is best.
lots of guys with driving (track experience) hang out on rennlist and you might best want want to have a look at that forum

Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Canada964,

Thanks for the reply. Did I see on another thread that you were planning on selling your 964? I may be confusing you with somebody else and, if so, my apologies.

Greg

Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 PM
no need to apologize greg, yes -wife & i are relocating back to tokyo in january (not economic to take the 964)....so its on the market ( will miss widebody tho' !).

good luck on your scout for a C2 coupe for the track...............

Old 07-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Canada964,

Send me an email regarding specifics on your car because I might be interested. I am actually interested in a cabriolet and love the widebody look of your car. I am only a couple of hours south from you. I don't have enough posts to send you a pm so if you are interested in selling it, send me an email at gtokars@msn.com

Thanks,
Greg

Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 AM
sent this a.m. greg, cheers

Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM
cobalt94T is on a distinguished road
Not to kill a sale and I would hate to see such a nice wb c2 destroyed on the track but if your considering doing a lot of DE's and are concerned between a C2 and C4 I would caution against driving a cab as a DE car.

I run a 93 964C2 as my dedicated track car. It has everything I enjoy about old school Porsche's and is a car that requires advanced driving skills to master. A 964 is a great starting point if you want to learn. Coming from a Boxster you will find that the C2 is very capable but no where near as easy to drive at limit. You will also need to upgrade the suspension to keep up or have ***** of steel. I am going on my 3rd suspension since I started DE'ing this car. My primary reason is because my wife drives also and is apprehensive about taking it to the max too early. Now we will be at just about the max the car will offer which is quite a bit. I watch skilled drivers do quite well in RSA's and 964's depending on the track and on some tracks are faster than your newer GT models. Other tracks hp wins plain and simple.

Other cars you could consider are the 996TT or cayman. I have dumped enough $$ into modding my C2 i could be using a nice 996TT instead. A lot of power far easier to drive, modern electronic aids and you can drive all day with the radio and A/C on at the rack and not notice it. Although I have no interest in the newer cars and my car is more than a handful to drive at the limit I don't think anything can be more satisfying to drive correctly. The newer cars do too much to make up for our inadequacies and that becomes quite apparent when driving a 964 at speed.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by cobalt94T
Not to kill a sale and I would hate to see such a nice wb c2 destroyed on the track but if your considering doing a lot of DE's and are concerned between a C2 and C4 I would caution against driving a cab as a DE car.

I run a 93 964C2 as my dedicated track car. It has everything I enjoy about old school Porsche's and is a car that requires advanced driving skills to master. A 964 is a great starting point if you want to learn. Coming from a Boxster you will find that the C2 is very capable but no where near as easy to drive at limit. You will also need to upgrade the suspension to keep up or have ***** of steel. I am going on my 3rd suspension since I started DE'ing this car. My primary reason is because my wife drives also and is apprehensive about taking it to the max too early. Now we will be at just about the max the car will offer which is quite a bit. I watch skilled drivers do quite well in RSA's and 964's depending on the track and on some tracks are faster than your newer GT models. Other tracks hp wins plain and simple.

Other cars you could consider are the 996TT or cayman. I have dumped enough $$ into modding my C2 i could be using a nice 996TT instead. A lot of power far easier to drive, modern electronic aids and you can drive all day with the radio and A/C on at the rack and not notice it. Although I have no interest in the newer cars and my car is more than a handful to drive at the limit I don't think anything can be more satisfying to drive correctly. The newer cars do too much to make up for our inadequacies and that becomes quite apparent when driving a 964 at speed.

no need for 'pologies Cobalt.....
greg & i both agreed few days back this was not the car for him