991 Turbo Vs California

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
TTS, you hit it on the head.

The issue was, and has been, that I was only really planning on keeping the California for around 2 years. The day I picked her up I put myself on the list for the 458 Spider. I had always planned to go that path.

However, as it does for many things, my children have altered that path. One of my great enjoyments, besides the visceral thrill these cars give us, is having my children love to ride and be in them as much as I do. Going from a California to 458 would only allow me to take one with them at any given time. That would be difficult for me and my kids.

The other night, we don't have our pool in at new house yet and often go to my sister's to swim, we decided to go out. Instead of taking the Q7 and one other car, we were all four (wife, kids and I) able to go in the California. Will be able to do that in the turbo S. Couldn't in a 458. Can in the turbo S for sure.

I could have gotten another California, but would likely spec it out completely like the one I have now minus changing exterior colour. So, I am going to try something different.

Definitely, the better overall performance, and I dare to say driving of the turbo S is exciting to me. As are the interior upgrades. My California is swathed in leather, but so will the turbo S. Better nav, bluetooth integration (with audio streaming) and Burmester are a welcomed upgrade. Especially for longer trips.

That and nearly enough savings to offset the cost of my Cayenne turbo coming as well. So....

Don't anyone get me wrong. The California is a GREAT car. Far better than a lot of people give it credit for being. Drives VERY well, sounds AMAZING and has gigantic amounts of Ferrari DNA in there. Just time for a change for me...

J

Old 06-02-2013, 07:48 AM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jasonrhcastle
TTS, you hit it on the head.

The issue was, and has been, that I was only really planning on keeping the California for around 2 years. The day I picked her up I put myself on the list for the 458 Spider. I had always planned to go that path.

However, as it does for many things, my children have altered that path. One of my great enjoyments, besides the visceral thrill these cars give us, is having my children love to ride and be in them as much as I do. Going from a California to 458 would only allow me to take one with them at any given time. That would be difficult for me and my kids.

The other night, we don't have our pool in at new house yet and often go to my sister's to swim, we decided to go out. Instead of taking the Q7 and one other car, we were all four (wife, kids and I) able to go in the California. Will be able to do that in the turbo S. Couldn't in a 458. Can in the turbo S for sure.

I could have gotten another California, but would likely spec it out completely like the one I have now minus changing exterior colour. So, I am going to try something different.

Definitely, the better overall performance, and I dare to say driving of the turbo S is exciting to me. As are the interior upgrades. My California is swathed in leather, but so will the turbo S. Better nav, bluetooth integration (with audio streaming) and Burmester are a welcomed upgrade. Especially for longer trips.

That and nearly enough savings to offset the cost of my Cayenne turbo coming as well. So....

Don't anyone get me wrong. The California is a GREAT car. Far better than a lot of people give it credit for being. Drives VERY well, sounds AMAZING and has gigantic amounts of Ferrari DNA in there. Just time for a change for me...

J
Totally agree with jasonrhcastle on this one. I for one have been in love with the 458 and its looks for a long time. However, as for most of us grown men out there, kids are all part of our lives now. I have 1 kid and it would be impossible to bring the wife and kid for a cruise around town in the 458, as much as I would love to. The Turbo/Cali on the other hand is able to. The one thing with P is that the looks/exhaust are much more subtle compared to Ferrari's. For sure, you won't get that many head turner's in a P.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM
boostfiend is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Enilder
Next Cali is TT? What? Source?
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11304155...ing-at-fiorano

My buddy who works at ferrari has also confirmed it.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
The 458 replacement will likely also be twin turbo. Forced induction and advanced automatic transmissions are the future. Manuals and N/A engines a dying breed.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by aamersa
The 458 replacement will likely also be twin turbo. Forced induction and advanced automatic transmissions are the future. Manuals and N/A engines a dying breed.
I agree. Ferrari needs to get its mileage and emission in line to adhere to gov't WW standards.

I drove the Cali and owned a TT. For a daily driver, I prefer the Cali, perhaps because I had a TT and now welcome something different. Both are wonderful cars.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aamersa
Minor point but DCTs and automatics. Distinction being the torque converter or lack of.
Also an NA model may carry for a while like the GT3 and Vette. Although BMW Is already moving away from NA.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mto
I agree. Ferrari needs to get its mileage and emission in line to adhere to gov't WW standards.

I drove the Cali and owned a TT. For a daily driver, I prefer the Cali, perhaps because I had a TT and now welcome something different. Both are wonderful cars.
Maybe they will follow Aston Martin footstep, buy a Toyota and rebadge it to average out the numbers and meet the requirement. I think the California/458 are more comfortable than 997, even 991.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 AM
JonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura about
I would go for the Porker blindly. My local Ferrari dealer gave me a California to drive overnight when I was deciding what to jump on, and I must say the car is stupid fast. Not to let any girlish looks deceive anyone, the car moves like few others do.

However, the cabin did seem quite dated - no room to put your mobile phone or garage remote even. Not something I like.

Secondly, reliability issues -- you can generally trust Germans and Japanese blindly. But Italians, though not like they used to be some 30 years back, still build cars which work best in their own country. For me being from the Middle East for instance, even my 612 sometimes has temperature issues, sensors act up, etc...As Jason said, some quality issues in question.

With a Porsche you know the quality you are getting. From what we've seen from the 996/997s I wouldn't expect this one to be much different. Look less intimidating than Ferraris and Lambos but they have earned the right to play on the same field. I guess it will be easier to make a decision once the new TT is out of course - but I'm guessing it would make a much better all-rounder DD.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM
laurenxesq is on a distinguished road
997 Turbo can circle around the Calif...both bodystyle is damn sexy though...

Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 AM
cp supreme is on a distinguished road
If you're even asking, you should go for the Cali. The performance between the two is night and day. With the Turbo S you are talking about 3 sec / possibly sub 3 0-60. The Cali is almost a full second slower off the line. The Turbo S is brutal when pushed and very mellow when not... too mellow for a 'fun drive with the family.' IMO You either go out and bomb in the Turbo S or you just want the best daily driver. The Cali you go out and cruise and look good and make nice noise. If you know you need the Turbo S performance, the Cali would not even be in question. If you are looking for something to take your wife and kid out for a cruise in, the Cali is for you...the badge, looks, sound, and it can still give you a kick in the *** when you want. I'm sure you will be happy with whichever you choose.

Last edited by cp supreme; 07-09-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM
LOSERKING has a spectacular aura aboutLOSERKING has a spectacular aura aboutLOSERKING has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by boostfiend
If you are in the market for a Cali I would highly suggest waiting for the TT V8.
I dont think Ferrari would ever make a Turbo V8 since all (i think) of there cars didnt have Turbo.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LOSERKING
I dont think Ferrari would ever make a Turbo V8 since all (i think) of there cars didnt have Turbo.
Allow me to introduce you to:

and his little siblings:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferrari-208-GTB-Turbo-1982-1985-Photo-01.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	258619  
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
The next California is, according to what the rumors and a source who claims to have seen the prototype in Marenello on Fchat say, WILL be a turbo V8.

Styling reminiscent of the 250 GTO. I am already on the list, after passing on the 458 Spider.

J

Old 11-16-2023, 12:08 AM
custo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jkonva
They are very different cars. One is a turbo charged monster that can easily be a daily driver and will likely require less expensive and less frequent maintenance. The other is a normally aspirated convertible and a Ferrari which could be a daily driver, but would likely be a pretty expensive one over time. If it was a third car, I would buy the California. If it was a daily driver, I would buy the Porsche. Also, I happen to live in a city without a Ferrari dealer so that is a major factor regarding ease of maintenance, particularly while under warranty.

Thank you for sharing this and I totally agree with you.