I drove the 991 Turbo S and here's my review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:45 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Suzy991
GT3 is not what I'm looking for. It's a fantastic car, but not usable for me. Like I said in my review. I have requirements and the GT3 only manages to meet 1 or maybe 2 of my requirements. Besides that it's too flashy for my taste and I wouldn't be able to take it to a customer. It's just not accepted to drive something flashy like that.
Also... I definetly want the backseats. The GT3 has the same engine character than the carrera 4S, which lacks torque at low revs. That is what makes the turbo S such a great daily driver. At low speeds and in the city with the car in normal mode, it's as easy to drive as a VW Golf.

If I would go to tracks more often, I may have considered it, but since that will not happen very often it's pointless to buy a GT3. That said.... if I wanted a real trackcar I would probably buy something else than a GT3.
For those rare occasions that I visit a track, the Turbo S will be good enough. I'm not willing to compromise on comfort and driveabillity all year long.

For example... To get to my house I need to drive up a pretty steep little road (18% climb for about 150meters). In wintertime with snow, I don't see myself driving up and down there there with a GT3, where a guy here in the street has no problems with his 997 C4S on snowtyres.

GT3 is a fantastic car and probably the best 911 ever, but it just has a different purpose than what I'm looking for. As a second or third car I would definitely want one, but that's for when I grow up haha

Suzy991
Yeah, I've got similar issues like that, I just don't care.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I think that the Boxster would be a better driver if it had PDK. I'm getting annoyed by the manual when driving in crowded traffic or in the city. Because of the lack of torque, you're shifting a lot. I like shifting when I'm driving insipred, but in traffic I prefer a PDK. No more old fashioned manual for me... That's for sure But for a weekend car it's great and I will keep the car for a couple of years I think. (Unless Alfa Romeo decides to introduce a 4C Targa very soon )

I love deviated stitching, but I also like the interior to be a bit more luxurious. I like the Black / Carrera Red combination of the Turbo S, but since a lot of cars will be equipped with it, it becomes a little too common for my taste. I like to have something different. It's a tough choice indeed, but I'm not really in a hurry, although i also don't want to wait too long of course

Suzy991
First .. a few thoughts on the car :

1) Are you concerned that the onyx white might be difficult to match (or blend) in a paint circumstance ? I have never had a pearl white car but I have had many flat white cars and it is a very easy color to match.

2) Interior colors are personal taste . However if I chose a two tone then the stitching becomes an important part of bringing the contrasting colors together . I am not sure what to pick with black/natural brown .

If i chose a two tone on my taste it wold not be the black/ red . It's too loud for my taste . I happen to like the agate/pebble .

Next --

PDK/manual -

I had two 997 cars and sold one . It was my 09 PDK car which was a beautiful car but i sold it because of the PDK. I loved it and was thrilled when I got it . It was white /terracotta and I did not custom order the car but ended up really liking the combination (see old thread ) https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...f-my-face.html

PDK really evolved and i do wonder if it is poised to evolve even more . The snag occurs when an important technological component becomes dated before the engine or design . I do hope that Porsche gets the PDK firmly established in the launch turbo cars . I believe they will and also feel taht even if they don't then a software upgrade will keep it current .

The manual gearbox -- In my opinion Porsche builds the best manual gearbox i have ever driven . The Boxster is the last 6 speed and I can not imagine a convertible roadster with a PDK .

On the other hand since PDK will maintain Turbo boost on upshifts it's the ideal choice for a Turbo S .. UNLESS .. one wanted to modify the car . I modified my 997tt to 700 HP but would never change a PDK Turbo from stock .

One last thing -I noticed when I had both manual and PDK cars was that when I drove one it reminded me of the strengths and weakness of the other and visa versa . It's almost as if I wished the same car had both choices .

I am happy for you . This car sounds awesome !!!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Tks for your informative review!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
First .. a few thoughts on the car :

1) Are you concerned that the onyx white might be difficult to match (or blend) in a paint circumstance ? I have never had a pearl white car but I have had many flat white cars and it is a very easy color to match.

2) Interior colors are personal taste . However if I chose a two tone then the stitching becomes an important part of bringing the contrasting colors together . I am not sure what to pick with black/natural brown .

If i chose a two tone on my taste it wold not be the black/ red . It's too loud for my taste . I happen to like the agate/pebble .

Next --

PDK/manual -

I had two 997 cars and sold one . It was my 09 PDK car which was a beautiful car but i sold it because of the PDK. I loved it and was thrilled when I got it . It was white /terracotta and I did not custom order the car but ended up really liking the combination (see old thread ) https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...f-my-face.html

PDK really evolved and i do wonder if it is poised to evolve even more . The snag occurs when an important technological component becomes dated before the engine or design . I do hope that Porsche gets the PDK firmly established in the launch turbo cars . I believe they will and also feel taht even if they don't then a software upgrade will keep it current .

The manual gearbox -- In my opinion Porsche builds the best manual gearbox i have ever driven . The Boxster is the last 6 speed and I can not imagine a convertible roadster with a PDK .

On the other hand since PDK will maintain Turbo boost on upshifts it's the ideal choice for a Turbo S .. UNLESS .. one wanted to modify the car . I modified my 997tt to 700 HP but would never change a PDK Turbo from stock .

One last thing -I noticed when I had both manual and PDK cars was that when I drove one it reminded me of the strengths and weakness of the other and visa versa . It's almost as if I wished the same car had both choices .

I am happy for you . This car sounds awesome !!!
Thanks

First to answer your questions:
1. No I'm not really concerned that the paint is difficult to match, when a paintjob is needed.
I once had an Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV that also had a pearl-effect paint. After only having the car for a week, someone with a van backed up into my car that was parked at work. The car needed a new rear bumper and a fender. After the paintjob, it was impossible to see the difference between original paint and the newly painted parts. So no concerns about that... I just hope it's never necessary.

2. The stitching is indeed not easy with that combination. I could keep it simple and just opt for natural brown stitching on the black parts and no deviated stitching on the natural brown parts. Or... I could choose for white or pebble grey (which is more like off-white) stitching for all parts. it matches the natural brown as well as the black. The only concern I have with that option is that it can get too busy or messy.
When I have some time this week, I'm gonna do some white stitching in my renders with the help of photoshop, but it takes some time and patience to do that, which I don't have a lot (all the time)

Regarding the PDK vs. Manual:
I do like the manual and I know for sure that the 6 speed in the Boxster is one of the very best manual transmissions out there. I do like it more than the 7-speed of the 991. But when driving in the city or in crowded traffic I do think that any manual is annoying, no matter how good it is.The PDK is so good now, that I would prefer it over a manual in my Boxster.
I wouldn't miss a manual, when driving a PDK car, but I do miss the PDK when driving a manual, despite the fact that I like the manual when driving insired.
Shifting with paddles is equally as much fun, driving up or down the Stelvio or Furkapass as is shifting manually. At least in my opinion... You can focus some more on the stunning views with a PDK

But it's not that annoying that I want to trade in my Boxster already. It's just something that I surprisingly discovered after driving it for a couple of months now. Its successor will be a dual clutch, no matter what car it is

Beautiful car BTW, that white-terracotta 997! It's a stunning combination. Didn't you have a lot of glare in the windshield?
I drove a 991 with the carrera red interior earlier this year and that had a lot of glare. That's the main reason why I only want black on top of the dashboard. My eyes get fatigue very easy because of the glare and I get an headache after a while. I know that polarizing sunglasses work perfect, but it looks a bit silly driving around in rainy weather with sunglasses on my nose

Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
1) The pearl white explanation helps . I never had one but I did recall a body shop many years ago discussing it . I also know that when my white car got hit with debris it was so easy to match that it was spot painted Vs having the entire panel painted. ( number 9 shows the damage)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ng-debris.html )

2) The terracotta -- I did not order the car . In early 2009 (when the economy had plunged I read a post on 6speed that someone got a 20 percent discount on a 997S . I was so amazed by it that I walked into the local dealership and told them that if they gave me that same deal I would find a car on the lot and buy it on the spot .

The white with terractotta was the only one which had the options i wanted but more importantly I fell in love with the interior color . There was no glare . I felt the color was much more elegant and understated than Carrera Red which I feel looks like lipstick . The red is so bright and yes there is lots of glare with it (as well as beige BTW ) .In fact terractotta was a traditional classic Porsche color often seen on GT silver cars .I was suprised that it was discontinued after many years in production (993,996,997) .On the white car in the florida sun it was stunning and it was complimented more than any other aspect of the car .
I had the seats taken out and seatbacks painted too (see photo) .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PDK0204078.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	290476  

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-16-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:33 AM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
i agree with Suzy, no 911 is the best 911, all 911's are equally good, only depends on your needs and requirements. And yes after seeing the Turbo and Turbo S in person in IAA, it looks way better than pictures. all the best with your order Suzy, you have great taste building Porsches, am sure it will be perfect!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
1) The pearl white explanation helps . I never had one but I did recall a body shop many years ago discussing it . I also know that when my white car got hit with debris it was so easy to match that it was spot painted Vs having the entire panel painted. ( number 9 shows the damage) https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ng-debris.html )

2) The terracotta -- I did not order the car . In early 2009 (when the economy had plunged I read a post on 6speed that someone got a 20 percent discount on a 997S . I was so amazed by it that I walked into the local dealership and told them that if they gave me that same deal I would find a car on the lot and buy it on the spot .

The white with terractotta was the only one which had the options i wanted but more importantly I fell in love with the interior color . There was no glare . I felt the color was much more elegant and understated than Carrera Red which I feel looks like lipstick . The red is so bright and yes there is lots of glare with it (as well as beige BTW ) .In fact terractotta was a traditional classic Porsche color often seen on GT silver cars .I was suprised that it was discontinued after many years in production (993,996,997) .On the white car in the florida sun it was stunning and it was complimented more than any other aspect of the car . I had the seats taken out and seatbacks painted too (see photo) .
Damn... That's some serious damage from road debris!

I agree on that Terracotta color. It's beautiful. I heard the glare was not really an issue on the 997, because the windshield was less raked. Don't know if that is true... Those seatbacks in white look perfect. Not sure if this is possible on the seats of the 991. They come standard covered in leather on the Turbo S.

The Carrera Red looks in person a lot less bright than it appears on pictures, but it is becoming way too popular for my taste. Heard today at my dealership that more than 60% of their sold Turbo S cars has the Black-Carrera red interior. It seems to be the new black haha.
I like something differrent and since I need to wait at least 4-6 months for that PTS color, there is time enough for a Leather to sample interior. They have some very nice different brownish and even several black colors at the exclusive department. I would like to have natural leather, because it does really feel nicer, but not all colors are available in natural leather. I need to make appointment at the exclusive department in Zuffenhausen I guess.... Again!

(Going to be the 4th time... I think they are not making any profit on my car anymore! Too much manhours discussing colors and options with me are put into the car! )

Suzy991

Last edited by Suzy991; 10-16-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Originally Posted by aljaberh
i agree with Suzy, no 911 is the best 911, all 911's are equally good, only depends on your needs and requirements. And yes after seeing the Turbo and Turbo S in person in IAA, it looks way better than pictures. all the best with your order Suzy, you have great taste building Porsches, am sure it will be perfect!
Thank you!

Suzy991

Old 10-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Speed_devil
Isn't it a bit pointless to post a smiley on random threads??! Stop that BS!

Suzy991

Old 10-16-2013, 02:36 PM
FASTRNU will become famous soon enoughFASTRNU will become famous soon enough
Isn't it a bit pointless to post a smiley on random threads??! Stop that BS!

Suzy991
He's getting the old post count up. 15 cool smileys and one eek smiley so far.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:08 PM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
After seeing the pearl white and the regular flat white together at Frankfurt, I would feel the same way as Suzy. The pearl effect is subtle but the car looks so much better. In a GT3, the solid white would be the way to to but in the Turbos the pearl suits the classy look better. Just get a clearbra to prevent the stone chips.....

Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by mhh
After seeing the pearl white and the regular flat white together at Frankfurt, I would feel the same way as Suzy. The pearl effect is subtle but the car looks so much better. In a GT3, the solid white would be the way to to but in the Turbos the pearl suits the classy look better. Just get a clearbra to prevent the stone chips.....
I will definitely get a clearbra. I have it on my boxster as well and it's great, I just need to do some research on what is the best and is available here in Europe. I have 3M on the Boxster (done by the previous owner) but that car is black.
I heard that some clearbras can get yellowish on a white car and I don't want that
There's plenty of time for it. It'll take at least 6 months to get the car delivered and I haven't ordered it it yet, although I'm planning to do this week....

Suzy991

Old 10-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Damn... That's some serious damage from road debris!
It was a large piece of a muffler flung from a car in an adjacent lane . It may not have even been theirs. South Florida roads have changed . There is a lot of construction and it is not uncommon to see idiots carrying junk in the cabin of their truck like an open garbage can . See pics below .

The Carrera Red looks in person a lot less bright than it appears on pictures,
It's a popular color here . I never liked it . It's just way too bright for my taste .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	refrigerator.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	290686   Click image for larger version

Name:	junk.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	290687  
Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 AM
It was a large piece of a muffler flung from a car in an adjacent lane . It may not have even been theirs. South Florida roads have changed . There is a lot of construction and it is not uncommon to see idiots carrying junk in the cabin of their truck like an open garbage can . See pics below .

It's a popular color here . I never liked it . It's just way too bright for my taste .
OMG! That must have caused almost a heartattack when thet hit your car! I sometime see people drive around that way too. Normally it's mandatory to use a net over the junk.

I agree on the Carrera red. It should have been a little bit darker color red.
This morning I send a mail to Exclusive if the ascot brown of the CGT is available to do a two tone with black. i hooe so, but I can imagine that matching the plastic parts like speaker mesh etc. can be a problem in that color.

Suzy991

Old 10-19-2013, 02:15 AM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
I heard that some clearbras can get yellowish on a white car and I don't want that

Suzy991
I've got a white E63 with Ventureshield and I can see slight yellowing after 18 months. I discussed it with the VS rep and he said its normal.

For my most recent purchase (Boxster) I switched to XPEL film. The car is blue so no idea on yellowing but my installer says it is a superior product to install and expects it to perform better too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I drove the 991 Turbo S and here's my review