Early oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 PM
TTS
TTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of lightTTS is a glorious beacon of light
Early oil change

Just wanna check if you guys believe in early oil changes eg after the initial 3000 miles break in period? If we follow service scheduling this is not due to much later on.
Also how many perform the break in routine of low revs, moderate speeds and longer drives?

Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
The break in is 2,000 miles. It's 3,000 K/M's. I do pay attention to the break in guidelines. I especially pay attention to the RPM max guideline, no revving the engine in neutral, stay away from speeds above 65mph, and try my best to avoid any hard breaking. I've found that with my past turbos they notoriously burn oil, so anything I can do to make sure everything breaks in correctly I'm going to do.

I plan on doing a oil change around 2500 miles on my turbo s. I believe the first scheduled service interval is 12,000 miles. I just don't feel that great with the idea of waiting that long. I've seen the oil from a first oil change on sports cars and there's pieces of metal in it and other not so pleasant things. This was seen under a microscope of course. I think for the cost of the car it's worth it. Just my opinion.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BigRich
The break in is 2,000 miles. It's 3,000 K/M's. I do pay attention to the break in guidelines. I especially pay attention to the RPM max guideline, no revving the engine in neutral, stay away from speeds above 65mph, and try my best to avoid any hard breaking. I've found that with my past turbos they notoriously burn oil, so anything I can do to make sure everything breaks in correctly I'm going to do.

I plan on doing a oil change around 2500 miles on my turbo s. I believe the first scheduled service interval is 12,000 miles. I just don't feel that great with the idea of waiting that long. I've seen the oil from a first oil change on sports cars and there's pieces of metal in it and other not so pleasant things. This was seen under a microscope of course. I think for the cost of the car it's worth it. Just my opinion.
Totally agree.I did mine at 2000 miles. Cheap way to keep your peace of mind that you flushed out the factory oil with fresh oil. Best $350 I spent.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 AM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
I always change my oil and filter myself. I also always change it early. On a ar that I drive very little, it could be as early as after the first season of driving. So in most cases that is far less than 3000 miles.

However, I am not necessarily nice or gentle with a new car. I am always very strick about warm up and cool down ... Making sure oil temps are in a safe range before boost. BUT, I do not baby the car. I will not beat the eyes out of it for the first 500 or so miles, but I drive the car how I am going to drive it. There are two main schools of thought on this. Some are very gentle for break in, and some drive it like it is intended to be driven.

I have never had a car consume oil or other fluids due to the fact it was driven hard. My thoughts are that it helps in the "wearing" together of different moving parts. It's always a discussion on all different forums. Be it Porsche, corvette, lamborghini, R8, etc... The two sides always state facts to back up claims and we agree to disagree.

My advice is do what you are comfortable with. Most cars that have discussions on this are high dollar exotics. Treat your baby how you want. It is your hard earned coil at the end of the day.

Mike

Old 01-18-2014, 07:10 AM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by svoshop
I always change my oil and filter myself. I also always change it early. On a ar that I drive very little, it could be as early as after the first season of driving. So in most cases that is far less than 3000 miles.

However, I am not necessarily nice or gentle with a new car. I am always very strick about warm up and cool down ... Making sure oil temps are in a safe range before boost. BUT, I do not baby the car. I will not beat the eyes out of it for the first 500 or so miles, but I drive the car how I am going to drive it. There are two main schools of thought on this. Some are very gentle for break in, and some drive it like it is intended to be driven.

I have never had a car consume oil or other fluids due to the fact it was driven hard. My thoughts are that it helps in the "wearing" together of different moving parts. It's always a discussion on all different forums. Be it Porsche, corvette, lamborghini, R8, etc... The two sides always state facts to back up claims and we agree to disagree.

My advice is do what you are comfortable with. Most cars that have discussions on this are high dollar exotics. Treat your baby how you want. It is your hard earned coil at the end of the day.

Mike
+1 Absolutely spot on!!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 AM
ibtm is on a distinguished road
Murci

My 2009 Murci got better the harder I drove it. The chief test driver told me that would happen--and it did! The Porsche is probably the same.
I will change my oil in my new Turbo S at 2,ooo miles right after break in.