California emissions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 PM
ss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to behold
California emissions

I tried searching online and couldn't find anything to help me with this. I am currently looking for a pre owned turbo s and am trying to figure out how to tell if it has California emissions or not. Or do they all meet those requirements? I found a car that I may make an offer on but due to the low mileage and California law if it doesn't meet those emissions I can't register it here. I don't want to make that mistake! Any information is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
All new cars admitted into the USA should meet CA smog as stock or should be identified as not 50 state legal...but...and this is a big one....any used car you buy may not meet CA smog with the new regs if any modding has been done either visually or if there is no readiness set because of software changes (ie flash or tuning)...there are several threads with info and horror stories...if you search about smog problems in CA under the new laws....just make your sale contingent on a CA smog check

Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 AM
ss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to behold
Thank you for the reply. I work in the auto industry and have bought many out of state cars. All other cars I've bought have had to separate code for California emissions. I work for Volkswagen and even all 2016's don't have California emissions. They have to be bought with it. I'm assuming Porsche may be the same. I may just have to call the dealer with the vin to be safe.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
The vin will only be helpful on a new car or will tell you if the car started out as CA legal....any existing vehicle may have been visually modded (non stock parts) or had software changes that will prevent it from passing now even if it passed just two years ago..we love living here

Old 01-30-2016, 09:51 PM
dds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond repute
That sucks. I know what it's like to live in a state that has dumb regulations.

..almost didn't pass my safety check in Hawaii because my 997 didn't have the stock oem amber side markers ... Go figure. Because you know, having amber vs clear side markers makes ALL the difference in safety, right

Old 01-31-2016, 11:57 AM
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm not worried about any modifications after it was sold. There are a few steps when bringing the car here and the one I'm worried about is the "vin verification" that the dmv performs. They look for the sticker stating it has California emissions. All other things I can work around. That's why I'm trying to figure out if they all have California emissions for sure or if I have to check the vin first.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ss2z06
Thank you for the reply. I work in the auto industry and have bought many out of state cars. All other cars I've bought have had to separate code for California emissions. I work for Volkswagen and even all 2016's don't have California emissions. They have to be bought with it. I'm assuming Porsche may be the same. I may just have to call the dealer with the vin to be safe.
I suspect the cars are 50 state compliant but VW charges extra for the CARB sticker.

With the VIN of the car in question you can contact PCNA customer service and ask if the car was manufactured to USA 50 state or 49 state compliance.

You might be able to get the same info from a dealer and better yet get a print out.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Macster
I suspect the cars are 50 state compliant but VW charges extra for the CARB sticker.

With the VIN of the car in question you can contact PCNA customer service and ask if the car was manufactured to USA 50 state or 49 state compliance.

You might be able to get the same info from a dealer and better yet get a print out.
That's great advice! I will do that. Thank you!