Engine Control Fault and Bunch of Error Codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 02:41 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Engine Control Fault and Bunch of Error Codes

I launched it yesterday and it throws a bunch of error codes. I thought it might be a boost hose came off. Wrote down the codes using the Cobb AP and then I cleared all error codes, took it for a drive and at first it was OK even under full boost. So I don't think it's a hose. But then it crapped out again as before.

Engine control fault, psm failure, all wheel function restricted. It chugged all the way home and even at idle.

DME
P2302
P0351 ignition coil a primary secondary circuit
P0301 misfire, cylinder selective
Uc418

PDK
P1990
P199A
Uc418
Uc418

Anybody have any thoughts before I call the dealership?

Old 03-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Just random? Was wondering why we haven't heard form you in a bit Shifter. Try flashing stage 0 and then put your map back in. Did you have any battery issues or anything that would explain it? Sometimes it could be something simple to diagnose but it gets clouded by all of the other codes as a byproduct. Mileage? Fuel?

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 03-15-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:57 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Did you go back to the stage 2+ or are you on the COBB tune?
If COBB, pull a log and send it to one of the boys to check out or if you are savvy you could pretty much narrow it down by looking at the values. It's helped me a couple times. As Sam said it could be something silly but they could help you sort it out pretty quick

Old 03-15-2016, 07:37 PM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Very similar scenario in my old 991S, turned out to be a bad fuel injector. Threw multiple codes under full throttle, almost identical codes to yours (I don't remember exactly but your codes sound familiar).

Old 03-16-2016, 02:27 AM
hamad alrumaihi is a glorious beacon of lighthamad alrumaihi is a glorious beacon of lighthamad alrumaihi is a glorious beacon of lighthamad alrumaihi is a glorious beacon of lighthamad alrumaihi is a glorious beacon of light
i have the same problem only when i hit full throttle : (

Old 03-16-2016, 01:11 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
That p0301 and p0351 are going to be your issue I bet.

P0301 is cylinder #1 misfire, p0351 is the #1 coil circuit.

If you have over 7k miles on the spark plugs, I would recommend you replace the plugs.

I would also replace coil #1 since you will be taking it off anyways.

If you are not ready to do that, you can swap the coil from #1 to a different cylinder and clear all the trouble codes.

Take her out for a test drive and see if the misfire changes cylinders. However, my bet is on the spark plugs over the coils.

Mike

Old 03-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Any updates?

Old 03-18-2016, 06:39 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
I sent some logs to Mitch this week. I never got around to going back to GIAC.

I switched to Stage 0 and cleared codes and same issue.

He doesn't see anything on the tune side so likely hardware. He mentioned the plugs which have 10k miles. It's due for a service now anyway.

I'm sending her in next week.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor
Cool good luck! I've done plugs on a few cars at 10K and they didn't look too pretty. I think you will have a big smile once you get that done. Do the coils as well they aren't expensive. If I can be of any type of assistance please reach out!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
The best thing to do here would be to get a datalog of the run and post it on here. You can use datazap.me to upload the CSV log file and post a link to it on here.

While it can be anything given your codes its most likely related to ignition components (plugs or coil). Here are a few questions to help you diagnose:

1) What's the mileage on the plugs? On a tuned car plugs won't last very long, 20-25k change interval is suggested.

2) Are you running OEM plugs and gap? Shorter gap is suggested with higher than factory boost levels.

3) Is the misfire code shown always on the same cylinder or same bank of cylinders? Cylinders 1-3 are one bank, 4-6 are the other bank.

With direct injection and its injectors a bad injector will in most cases show its faultiness at cold start. You'll get a bunch of stumbling and rough running if the injector is leaking. Some fuel leaks into the cylinder over night and in the morning that particular cylinder will start up richer than others and cause a misfire. Unless this is happening its very hard to conclude you have an injector issue.

Dzenno@PTF

Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 AM
I sent a datalog over to Mitch already and he didn't notice any issues.

I got it into my tuner and they think it's more serious than just plugs/coils. cylinder 1 is not firing quite a bit of the time. it's worst under full boost, but it happens even without boost.

so I'm going to uninstall the AP and I'm having it towed over to the Porsche dealership, which will hopefully cover whatever the issue is under warranty.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
I bet $10 its a bad coil/plug likely due to bad fuel injector

Had exact same symptoms, cylinder 3, and Porsche tech told me he had seen this numerous times where the plug was burned on one side due to a faulty fuel injector. He made it seem a lot more common on the 991's than I thought.

Good luck, keep us posted

Old 03-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Former Vendor
+1 good luck! here if you need anything.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 PM
turns out it was just the one ignition coil.

plugs are fine and everything else is fine.

they replaced the coil and said it's running great now.

I'm thinking my tuner just didn't want to deal with it.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shifter_
turns out it was just the one ignition coil.

plugs are fine and everything else is fine.

they replaced the coil and said it's running great now.

I'm thinking my tuner just didn't want to deal with it.
Told ya! Glad you got it resolved.

Dzenno@PTF

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Control Fault and Bunch of Error Codes