Michelin PSS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:23 AM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MJM911
Hi Guys, I heard about this when I was in Germany a couple weeks ago:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...uper-Sport.htm

Here is some specifics about this new tire: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...ss-Release.htm
That's very interesting. I wish they would be consistent with their naming though. PSS and PS3 were launched around the same time, and PSS>PS3, so one would assume the successor to PSS would be PSS 2 and not PS4.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:08 PM
jatus24 is a jewel in the roughjatus24 is a jewel in the roughjatus24 is a jewel in the roughjatus24 is a jewel in the rough
made the switch

I made the switch from the pzero to pss two weeks ago. night and day difference. the pss's are quieter and grip better than the pzero imo.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:33 PM
gmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jatus24
I made the switch from the pzero to pss two weeks ago. night and day difference. the pss's are quieter and grip better than the pzero imo.
The new N2 porsche compound is miles better than the PSS , it was formulated specifically for the .2 Turbo S and you know its good when all the .2 track reviews are on the the new pzero and not the Dunlop sport max R comp like the .1's were and its still faster on track. Ive checked the softness with a durometer and its more like a sport cup 2 compound, so its significantly different from he old zeros you had and the PSS.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM
gmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant futuregmd2003 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 991 PetWolf
How's the tread wear on the new P Zero and how is it holding up?
It is holding up well so far at 1400 miles , I expect them to wear like sport cup 2's . To clarify I am only talking about the new 991.2 Turbo specific N2 compound p zero and not generic zeros, nor the N1 compound p zeros that came on the .1 Turbo.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:51 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmd2003
It is holding up well so far at 1400 miles , I expect them to wear like sport cup 2's . To clarify I am only talking about the new 991.2 Turbo specific N2 compound p zero and not generic zeros, nor the N1 compound p zeros that came on the .1 Turbo.
I wonder if the rumored Porsche OEM Michelin PS4 will also have an N2 rating.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:11 PM
991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all991 PetWolf is a name known to all
That's great to hear, now I can't wait to get rid of the P Zeros that came with my .1

Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
Just ordered a set of PSS...not quite needed yet but soon..

Old 08-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Hampi is on a distinguished road
Is the PSS more comforable than the N2 compound p Zero?

Old 08-24-2016, 03:34 PM
I think the tire you are referring to is the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) which is the same OEM tire on the Huracan and R8.

I looked at the Tire Rack tire compare of this new P Zero, and it showed that while it is much improved, it is usually pipped by the PSS.

N0, N1, and N2 are not compounds but fitments. The Porsche specific variations tend to be things like load factor, tread width and tread depth, not compound.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:06 PM
RMDZidane is on a distinguished road
The compounds are different. I replaced N0 P zeros with N1 P zero's on my 911 recently and I improved my laptime by about .5 sec at Laguna Seca. Braking grip is better and now the ride over T1 and braking to T2 isn't as much a leap of faith like it was
I don't rate the PSS as great tires at all, at least not on a track. The sidewalls are too soft and they get really overwhelmed under hard braking. Thats why I kept the Pzeros...I don't know how they are on the street, I drive like a grandma there.
I couldn't get the N2 Pzeros yet, but I'm eager to see how they perform when I have to get another set of tires.

Also, the regular Pzero tires are absolute junk. They have much less grip than the N rated versions..

Old 08-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I think the tire you are referring to is the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) which is the same OEM tire on the Huracan and R8.

I looked at the Tire Rack tire compare of this new P Zero, and it showed that while it is much improved, it is usually pipped by the PSS.

N0, N1, and N2 are not compounds but fitments. The Porsche specific variations tend to be things like load factor, tread nwidth and tread depth, not compound.
N2 is a Porsche specific tire designation , tread , design AND compound . I also have sport cup 2's on my track car and the N2 compound is just as soft . Grip blows a PSS away . I literally have trouble breaking the tire's lose with everything off . I have to stomp on the gas mid turn in 1st to lose traction . Much better compound for dry traction than the previous pzero .

Old 08-24-2016, 04:53 PM
N2 is a Porsche specific tire designation , tread , design AND compound . I also have sport cup 2's on my track car and the N2 compound is just as soft . Grip blows a PSS away . I literally have trouble breaking the tire's lose with everything off . I have to stomp on the gas mid turn in 1st to lose traction . Much better compound for dry traction than the previous pzero .
Understood. The problem for the rest of us on this thread is that it seems you are the lone voice saying this. The other problem is that most people compare old tires to new tires.

I have driven New Ferrari Spec P Zero and PSS back to back from 0 to 2500 miles each and found the PSS to be much better.

I have tried googling P Zero N2-spec, but all I can find is tires from 2010.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...zero-n2-s.html

Clearly this Pirelli P Zero N2 is not the same one as yours, however it is the only version on either Tire Rack or on Pirelli's own website. This is why I am wondering if your tire is a PZ4?

Also it seems odd to me that the Porsche version of the PZ4 would have a better compound than the Lamborghini version?

FWIW the fact the tire is soft to touch doesn't mean its better. The PS2 is much softer to touch than the PSS but it has significantly less grip, plus it gets slippery in 90 degree plus weather.

Is there any research or broader volume of reviews we can find on this tire beyond the single one person data point?

Old 08-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Understood. The problem for the rest of us on this thread is that it seems you are the lone voice saying this. The other problem is that most people compare old tires to new tires.

I have driven New Ferrari Spec P Zero and PSS back to back from 0 to 2500 miles each and found the PSS to be much better.

I have tried googling P Zero N2-spec, but all I can find is tires from 2010.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...zero-n2-s.html

Clearly this Pirelli P Zero N2 is not the same one as yours, however it is the only version on either Tire Rack or on Pirelli's own website. This is why I am wondering if your tire is a PZ4?

Also it seems odd to me that the Porsche version of the PZ4 would have a better compound than the Lamborghini version?

FWIW the fact the tire is soft to touch doesn't mean its better. The PS2 is much softer to touch than the PSS but it has significantly less grip, plus it gets slippery in 90 degree plus weather.

Is there any research or broader volume of reviews we can find on this tire beyond the single one person data point?
The .1 and earlier actually had N1 or N0 not N2 . N2's are not on tire rack yet I had to get a replacement for a nail from Porsche . The .2 Turbo S which I actually own,comes on the N2 Pzero which is as you said the new P zero 4 . The new version of the pzero on the R8 are likely very similar , I just think the Turbo chassis is better as it is faster in tests on track . Also the .2 on the N2 is beating the .1's times on Dunlop sport max , which are the fastest DOT R's available . I drive a lot on track , 100's of days , this is a really good tire .
George

Old 08-24-2016, 06:22 PM
The .1 and earlier actually had N1 or N0 not N2 . N2's are not on tire rack yet I had to get a replacement for a nail from Porsche . The .2 Turbo S which I actually own,comes on the N2 Pzero which is as you said the new P zero 4 . The new version of the pzero on the R8 are likely very similar , I just think the Turbo chassis is better as it is faster in tests on track . Also the .2 on the N2 is beating the .1's times on Dunlop sport max , which are the fastest DOT R's available . I drive a lot on track , 100's of days , this is a really good tire .
George
This makes sense. It seems like it boils down to how different the N2 is relative to the normal PZ4, and how different the Ferrari PSS is different to the normal PSS. But the choice would be between those tires P Zero PZ4 N2 and PSS Ferrari-spec. Looking at the data, the PSS has about half an inch more tread width on the rear.

Here's the review of the standard PZ4 vs PSS:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...t.jsp?ttid=218

Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 PM
RMDZidane is on a distinguished road
George
I just looked at a 991.2 Turbo S and was pleasantly surprised to see 'N2' on the sidewall. So it will be nice to see how great the grip is with an OEM tire when I can get a set

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin PSS