Power levels on different stages?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:29 PM
easy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant futureeasy2speed has a brilliant future
Power levels on different stages?

What is everyone making on stage 1, 2, 3, and 4? Any vbox 60-130's or trap speeds? It seems like 700whp is about the limit on stock trans.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:09 AM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
I run a Stg IV from Sam ByDesign....VP MS109 race fuel..no meth
My best 1/4 mile trap is 140 and if i use the weight of the car loaded at 3800 I get this estimated HP...take it for what it is..
If we use a 17% drive train loss this equates to about 668 wheel HP which is likely I guess
My car runs like a champ on the strip and on the street...I don't flog it but it's nice knowing the beast is there when called upon

Old 07-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Nanook, the Dragtimes calculator is not really accurate.. Same calculator shows the stock 552 fwhp 991.1 Turbo S at 640 FWHP - (10.6s@130.5mph).

Also Weight is 3,675lbs with all fluids, full tank and 165lb driver per Porsche.

It still is mind blowing power!

Old 07-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by easy2speed
It seems like 700whp is about the limit on stock trans.
The stock PDK runs 147mph in the 1/4 and 177mph in the 1/2 mile time after time with no issues whatsoever. That's a lot of power, how much depends on each dyno user

Old 07-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
The stock PDK runs 147mph in the 1/4 and 177mph in the 1/2 mile time after time with no issues whatsoever. That's a lot of power, how much depends on each dyno user
Jean these 991"s are awesome cars indeed but who's 991 car has run 147mph in the 1/4 and 177mph in the 1/2 Mile time after time with no issues?

Old 07-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Markblackwell
Jean these 991"s are awesome cars indeed but who's 991 car has run 147mph in the 1/4 and 177mph in the 1/2 Mile time after time with no issues?
Hey Mark, a company called PP-Performance, 768 flywheel hp stage 2 that ran 15.5@177.5mph in a European 1/2 mile event with stock PDK, and 186mph in 1,000 meters in other runs (that would be 18.5 s @ 186mph according to my calcs). Seems they are strong into half mile speed runs in GTRs.

Actually 1/4mile was 145 but on the runway I believe, not 147mph my mistake.

Last edited by Jean; 07-01-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Found the video:

Old 07-02-2017, 08:01 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
Found the video:

Thanks Jean. I've been impressed with what PP has done on the 991 since their piggy back came out in 2014.

Does anyone has proof this is an actual half mile or whether the owner has a vbox of these runs? We have a few "half mile" events on the west coast and their distances can vary. Some have run 400 feet longer than a half mile and still call the event a "half mile".

I'm going to be a little skeptical like Mark that 147 in the quarter mile and 177 in the actual half mile would be a bit of a problem for the stock PDK over and over and is going to at least slip the clutches and other than some tire spin in first gear i didn't hear anything in this video that indicate slipping clutches.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I have four different cars in four different places making even slightly different power (up to 800wheel) that hit the 175 mph wall in the 1/2 mile. And after extensive testing with different clutch set ups as well as PDK software I'll tell you the clutch is the reason. The clutch and playing around with it can really change how much power you put down and what you break, it's just a matter of time. It took a lot to figure all of this out but with an awesome team and some really competitive clients like Mark we did. We know exactly where it will be bulletproof, exactly where it will start to slip and exactly where it will break. With all of that we also found out the best way is to extract safe longevity and power from it.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Easy, i've got lots of information I can share with you if you like anytime. Too much to post even. Also things can be misleading. I have personally been there for a nine second quarter mile and 138 mph with stock turbo chargers. After much frustration from someone who lied about doing it we were on a mission and got it done. But there was a lot involved in making that happen. So each stage can have its own level of dedication/rewards and the best thing to do is really set it up to fit your needs. We have enough experience to look at it this way now. Especially after the Pike's Peak International Hillclimb! Hope that helps!

Old 07-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Honestly I do not know this tuner and also do not know whether they have proof or not and I am not interested a bit to find out. They are not claiming any world records or anything like that so I have no reason to doubt them, they are a respected outfit in Germany.

They ran another event timed officially this time I think, and the link for the results is here:
http://www.scc500.de/ergebnisse.php

You can see they ran 300kph in 1000 meters in 18s++, which is all exactly matching a half a mile run at 177 and 15s+ as well, so the runs seem to be consistent.. Again I don't know if all these are fake in the age of fake news but I do not have reason to believe they are.

The car is claimed to have 780FWHP not 1400, so it doesn't seem like it is BS. They have many crazy GTRs out there running high 200s in the 1/2 mile.

Sam, you have for sure countless data regarding these boxes and their strength and no doubt you know exactly what you are talking about with real experience on the ground.. Something to keep in mind is that some tuning keeps torque peaks at lower levels to ensure longevity of rods and clutch/gearbox, it is quite common across the pond, whether this is the reason or not I don't know.

I had the same problem with my 700HP 993TT back in the laggy turbo days, strong boost and big torque numbers required strong clutches and synchros and was great in straight line but undrivable on the race track, whereas another 993 was just as fast, yet had lower peak torque numbers and bigger area under the curve with different tuning and components.

I will never push my 991TT to those levels, so the discussion is a bit irrelevant for me, just sharing information I come across from the other side in case it helps anyone or opens a discussion about the topic. FYI 9FF also has now a 750FWHP package with improved fueling that uses stock PDK and claimed to have similar performance ( I won't post videos or proof )

Old 07-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Former Vendor
I like our discussions Jean and you're really good at gathering data/information. I think you are completely right about everything you're saying I'm just trying to fill in some blanks on information. We have hit 177 as well, once on a stock clutch and once with the Dodson motorsports and we definitely control the torque because I've been through engines also. But what happens is when you're hitting those speeds the last little bit actually is too much for the clutch to hold unless you get lucky. It all depends on what you are doing with the car and how far you want to push it. Is it a sprinter or a distance runner etc. I've worked with PP they are great. They run some of my components actually. 9FF are also doing some really great stuff. Jan has been using and working with the Dodson clutches as well. It is so exciting to see these numbers getting higher and higher! In different parts of the world different groups are raising the bar. We are all in touch to some capacity sharing and growing!

Old 07-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
It's difficult to take information like the PP run posted without in your face documentation...like video of a timing clock etc..like the others I'm not saying it didn't happen it's just odd recording/posting procedure...
Maybe it's just me but I'd say by the appearance of those tips that thing looks squeaky lean ?

Old 07-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
I like our discussions Jean and you're really good at gathering data/information. I think you are completely right about everything you're saying I'm just trying to fill in some blanks on information. We have hit 177 as well, once on a stock clutch and once with the Dodson motorsports and we definitely control the torque because I've been through engines also. But what happens is when you're hitting those speeds the last little bit actually is too much for the clutch to hold unless you get lucky. It all depends on what you are doing with the car and how far you want to push it. Is it a sprinter or a distance runner etc. I've worked with PP they are great. They run some of my components actually. 9FF are also doing some really great stuff. Jan has been using and working with the Dodson clutches as well. It is so exciting to see these numbers getting higher and higher! In different parts of the world different groups are raising the bar. We are all in touch to some capacity sharing and growing!
You're spot on obviously Sam. It doesn't make sense to run the components at their limit as they will fail sooner or later.. These (PP) guys have done many runs but that does not mean they will not have issues at some point, maybe for the occasional run the PDK holds. And yes Dodson, and so do you have several customers over there and in many other markets as I know too well, so well done to you.

Nanook, you are definitely right too, and we all know videos can tell many stories, but I feel the timed event is however good proof of the performance of this car 0-300kph in 18s+. It's just a timed event for enthusiasts like the 1/2 mile run or VMAX etc.. , no claims of records or anything like that.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Former Vendor
Cheers, the numbers are all pretty close. We are covering 1/2 mile in about 15 seconds at over 175mph. 150mph in 10.7 seconds, 100mph in 5.5 seconds and 0-60 in 2.2. 60-130 in 5 flat and 100-200kph in 4.3. I expect to best those numbers with Mark's car on the built motor and transmission upgrade with the same By Design Stage 4 power package. 0 to 60 is the one that I really don't think it matters as much because you can't get much quicker than that unless you want to break things and we are done breaking things LOL! I think it just goes to show the few big tuners are hitting just about that same wall or close enough on VTG. The tricky part is getting reliability, longevity, versatility and consistency.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 07-02-2017 at 04:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.