Champion/GIAC 991.2 Turbo S hits the 1/4 mile...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 04:41 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by solipsistik
I don't think the tunes are slower, necessarily. But COBB's stage 1 93 octane tune adds virtually nothing. A bit of a torque bump in midrange. They purposely detuned it with a recent update.

I think APR's 1+ tune is likely to be really good. 110whp on a Mustang dyno, and tested on a race track with pressure sensors throughout the intake tract.

If you ever want to make big power, you'll need a custom tune and for those, you have to understand that reliability *could* be a factor in some cases. A 700whp setup may dramatically lower the life of the turbos if you're doing road courses, as an example, because that isn't something the tune probably considers.
I didn't know APR had a tune for these cars.
I'll have to check it out.
The Cobb 93 tune only bumped mid-range?
Interesting. I would think that it would add some up top as well.
I also do agree, with big power, reliability could be a factor and definitely should be a consideration.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:53 AM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
While I understand what you’re saying, if I were going to road race, I’d have kept my GT3... don’t know too many people road racing Turbo Porsche’s. I’m thinking most people like me are using these for roll and drag racing.
I wasn't talking about racing. Nobody is buying a simple OTS tune for racing. Just track days... not much fun when your car pulls all the power you paid for, because your tune is aggressive for 1/4 mile runs.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:57 AM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by vrybad
The Cobb 93 tune only bumped mid-range?
Interesting. I would think that it would add some up top as well.
I also do agree, with big power, reliability could be a factor and definitely should be a consideration.
I think that the whole thing with the diesel tuners getting fined millions of dollars by the government over bypassing emissions for more power scared COBB. They detuned their Stage 1 tune about ... 90hp I think. Now their site claims 1% power and 10% torque bump (in a fairly narrow range). Might as well have a stock car, you're just throwing $3500 USD into the wind.

They've also talked about not supporting anything to do with deleting or modifying the O2 sensor programs or how they affect the car. Which would make custom tuning worthless, IMHO. I know there's a way around that, but from other people's experiences, it isn't 100% reliable (occasional CEL).

A JB4 piggyback is I think around $500 (have not priced it out but that was my impression) and provides performance without touching any of the car's programs or modifying emissions on the car. I'd have to say that might be our cheapest and possibly best option for a "lite" tune, though APR's tune sounds technically very, very reliable and since I like track work, is what I'll likely go with.

Last edited by solipsistik; 04-16-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:25 AM
alenalien387 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have found the same with every motor I've ever built or bought. People Nox Vidmate VLC think they are saving the motor by driving easy... but that's not how physics works, got to get the rings loaded up and sealing against the cylinder walls with lots of throttle load, especially when the motor is new... and the oil doesn't get contaminated by blowby.