what is BEST intercooler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Jeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud of
what is BEST intercooler

for a 991.2 turbo S in which I am NOT planning to upgrade my turbos ever, dont track my car, and plan to do exhaust ipd set and tune only
live in S Fla.
looking at specifically ones where NO modification to the car is needed for fitment
champion
By Design
AMS
and why? Being whichever tune I go with I do not want the IC's to be a limited factor I want my set up, ALL stock sans exhaust WITH 50 CEL cats, IPD plenum and y pipe, and the IC's I choose so im limited by OTHER factors before the After market IC's would come into play 4.5 or 5.1, champions, or AMS

OR are they all about the same and therefore go with least expensive

sorry to be redundant but trying to get a str8 technical answer without beating the dead horse about who is great to deal with.

Whomever I deal with I will have an understanding and trusted relationship as ive been around long enough and know the people in the game.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:07 PM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Without sounding like an ***... you buy a TTS and you’re considering buying the “cheapest” I/C? In my opinion as stated on the other thread... if you want the BEST, buy AMS, period! They’re product is superior for several reasons and I’m not gonna get into a pissing match as to why, they’re just better than the rest. (Hint... go to their website, then compare to others).

If you want a no hassle I/C that fits similar to stock, buy Champion. They’re great coolers and fit without trimming anything, but they’re not much thicker than stock and not cheap! SRM builds the others cores and they’re nice, but in my opinion price is reflective of their quality vs Champion and AMS. These are only my opinions and not afflilated with any of these companies... but I have had AMS I/C’s in my old TTS and would buy their coolers again without a doubt. Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:18 AM
Jeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud of
Do ams require any modifications to fit the car?

Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
They require you trim the bottom piece that holds it in the location... because it’s thicker than the factory I/C’s which is what makes them so much more efficient. It’s really not a big deal though. And also, they have better boost hose clamps now too.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra

If you want a no hassle I/C that fits similar to stock, buy Champion. They’re great coolers and fit without trimming anything, but they’re not much thicker than stock and not cheap!

Just one quick correction....our 991 Turbo intercoolers are 4.5" thick, stock are 3". Ours also use a Garrett core with 18 cooling passages as opposed to 14 on the OEM core and many others.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Duly noted sir! How bout this... for the sake of simplicity, and not splitting hairs! AMS or Champion coolers for the win! Can’t go wrong with either. Both far exceed the factory coolers capabilities both in quality and efficiency.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Jeff,

You will not find better customer service and professionalism, than with Tom @ Champion Motorsports...just give him a call, he will direct you in the right path!

Manuel

Old 07-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Champion and AMS ICs are the way to go.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Not sure that im splitting hairs...I asked Tom if he would install the AMS coolers with the Europipe stage 2, and ipd plenum and y pipe and the Giac tune.
He will do the Europipe but because I believe that GIAC has not released their handheld data logger to do a custom tune he is hesitant to run the "stock file" that they will create on their test car that is running champion coolers, ipd plenum and y pipe, and tubi catless
maybe he will be more confident once GIAC releases in the next couple months a date logger and unlocking tool to their trusted dealers.

OR

Ill just go with the champion coolers maybe im splitting hairs at this point

the AMS are 5" with wide 10 rows
and the champion ones are 4.5" with 18 thinner rows..
both Garrett cores.

not sure why the diff in design or how that plays out in real world.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by IMI A
are the do88 big pack ones not the best around now and most competitively priced? Made my 997 fly!
No... they’re not. You get what you pay for, that’s why AMS and Champion are priced accordingly. No disrespect to any of the other I/C’s out there, but the R&D that goes into the top tier products are generally price reflective and the rest are copycats.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I think Sam's (By Design's) new 5.1" ICs are the best out there. They're fantastic. As far as AMS, I wouldn't install a product of theirs on any of my cars even if they were given to me for free. But to each his own.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-06-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I think Sam's (By Design's) new 5.1" ICs are the best out there. They're fantastic. As far as AMS, I wouldn't install a product of theirs on any of my cars even if they were given to me for free. But to each his own.
Those are SRM’s coolers. And zero idea as to why you’re anti AMS... but you’re right, to each his own.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:09 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Jeff,

Nice talking to to you the other day. Forgot to mention that I had gone down the IC road already once, trust me, not the most expensive is the best. I was guided incorrectly when doing stage 3 and had a bunch of issues with IAT’s = SLOW CAR!!! Finally changed cores and problem solved, and I don’t have the most expensive cores out there, BUT I can assure you I have data proven cores that are getting the job done in our FL heat

Regards,

Manuel

Old 07-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
If you're running factory turbo's and are at a relatively low state of tune, do you really need the best? If you want the best, call Sam and get his Marston core intercoolers. You gotta pay to play, and you might be paying for more than you need.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:28 AM
hcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to behold
Talked to many companies, and even more owners, I went with Sam, he was the only tuner that I did not find one person that said anything bad about, there are several good ones, you have to go with what you feel best doing, and who you trust, next time, I'm still dealing with Sam