996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to tell difference between X50/GT2 intercooler versus regular 996TT intercooler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Daniel is on a distinguished road
How to tell difference between X50/GT2 intercooler versus regular 996TT intercooler

Bought a pair of GT2 intercoolers, but really have no clue what the differences are internally and physically.

Anyone have pictures of the two, or can take a pic of GT2 intercoolers?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
If you rub your hands across a non-X50 intercooler, it will be more or less smooth across the fact of the the intercoolers....the X50 had deep ridges between the bar and the plates of the intercooler...like valleys and a rough surface between the two levels.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
the GT 2 has "ridges" the stock one is smooth

GT2 on top

Last edited by tom kerr; 07-17-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 AM
1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of1JDM911 has much to be proud of
^tom, is that custom end-tanks?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
no they look normal to me.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:09 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Tom, what tire is that?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Mine look exactly like that one sitting on your car. Is that a non-X50 intercooler in your car, or an X50?

BTW a little ot but what markings can I see on the turbos with just lifting the car (without taking the turbos off the car) to find out what kind they are?

Last edited by MrWhite; 07-23-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
What seems to be so difficult about rubbing your fingers across the face of the intercooler....If it has deep ridges in between the bar and ribbons, it's an X50 or GT2 type intercooler....if it's straight across, it's the non-x50 type. This isn't rocket science....it's braile.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
What seems to be so difficult about rubbing your fingers across the face of the intercooler....If it has deep ridges in between the bar and ribbons, it's an X50 or GT2 type intercooler....if it's straight across, it's the non-x50 type. This isn't rocket science....it's braile.
Because the intercooler I asked about (the car in the pic) is in Florida and I am in CA. That would be rocket science to reach out and rub my fingers from here. It certainly looks like non-X50.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
White: My apologies....in retrospect, my response was a bit snippy. If you're looking at the picture of the intercooler on the yellow car...that's the X50 or GT2 intercooler. If you look at the grey area that appear as lines across the face of the intercooler, those are actually valleys about 1/4 inch deep instead of being level all the way across the face of the intercooler. You can feel those valleys by rubbing your finger across the face of the intercooer.

If you really want to be sure....take a picture of yours and post them up here...that way the guys can take a look and there will be no speculation. Are you buying these sight unseen off eBay or from someone who is trying to explain what they are?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks no offense taken, just a little friday jabbing of words... Your description is the first I read that really makes sense as the std one (if that's what I have) also feels rough as a cheese grader between the bars and that has been pointed out a lot in other posts, however the depth topic is the actual key then more than anything. I'll take a photo, they look soo similar from below the car it is worth a photo just for that reason.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:26 PM
They both have the (good description on your part) "cheese grater" feel to them, however only the X50 one has the 1/4 inch trench between the bars and the trenches are separated alternately by a bar all the way across the face of the intercooler. So it looks up...down....up...down...that's why I said you can tell by "braille".