Notices
991 Turbo
Sponsored by:

anyone switch to 488 or 720s?

Old 05-13-2019, 01:40 PM
C4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond repute
anyone switch to 488 or 720s?

i've been through Porsches since 2006 or so and to be honest have gotten bored with the overall Porsche appearance. really no complaints regarding performance but to be frank they've all kind of felt the same after awhile (997tts-991.2 tts).

my last Porsche was a 17 TTS and since I traded her in I've been searching for a 488 and have been in love with the 488/458 body since it was released. during my search I've seen several articles comparing the 488 to the 720s and it seems like the 720s beats the 488 in all areas other than maybe looks which is subjective. the prices i've found are $260-275k range for 16-17 488s and 18 720s. curious what Porsches owners would pick and why. I've searched and read most if not all the comparisons on fchat and mlife but wanted a unbiased opinion if possible.

most of the concerns i've read are with the mclarens overall reliability and resale value but i'm not sure how much of that will come into play on the 720s and buying used since they've already depreciated over $100k...

with the 488 it sounds like the main concern is with the battery and they tend to have to replaced constantly and always on a tender. not sure how they compare to the 720 when it comes to resale but im assuming they have a bigger market than the 720s.

and before you guys tell me to look at the RS I already have and the appearance does do it for me but I don't want to drive something slower than what I had in the past and can spend $300k+ for a GT2RS.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 PM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
720S all day everyday. Iíve had 2 Macs and theyíre superior in every way to Ferrari... I test drove a 458 before I bought my first Mac and it was noticeable slower, didnít drive as well (responsive) and the brakes arenít as good either.

Resale value is for someone who is intending on keeping a car a very short time. Buy the car you want and donít worry with what theyíre worth a year from now... none are going to appreciate unless you buy an Special car and a 458 or 488 isnít special... a 458 Speciale IS a special car that retains it's value, but youíd have to spend biiiiig money to get one.

If you go drive a 458/488 then go drive a 720S youíll literally laugh at how much more car youíre getting with Mclaren. One last point on Ferrari vs Mclaren... the dealerships attitude regarding their clients. ANYONE can go buy any Mac they want on the showroom floor with no special pre-purchased bull**** vs having to buy up the ladder of cars to get the one you want from Ferrari. Hope this helps. Obviously these are just my opinions.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 PM
C4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond reputeC4SxM5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra View Post
720S all day everyday. Iíve had 2 Macs and theyíre superior in every way to Ferrari... I test drove a 458 before I bought my first Mac and it was noticeable slower, didnít drive as well (responsive) and the brakes arenít as good either.

Resale value is for someone who is intending on keeping a car a very short time. Buy the car you want and donít worry with what theyíre worth a year from now... none are going to appreciate unless you buy an Special car and a 458 or 488 isnít special... a 458 Speciale IS a special car that retains it's value, but youíd have to spend biiiiig money to get one.

If you go drive a 458/488 then go drive a 720S youíll literally laugh at how much more car youíre getting with Mclaren. One last point on Ferrari vs Mclaren... the dealerships attitude regarding their clients. ANYONE can go buy any Mac they want on the showroom floor with no special pre-purchased bull**** vs having to buy up the ladder of cars to get the one you want from Ferrari. Hope this helps. Obviously these are just my opinions.
Thanks for the insight and all my research points in the direction that the 720 > 488 performance wise. Also heard the about Ferrari dealers but Iím not purchasing new.

Im still on the fence about resale though since I have kept a car for more than year for the last decade. The 720 Iím currently looking at has a msrp of $390k and is selling for $100k+ less. I donít know if I can stomach that kind of loss after a year at this point but also donít know if 488s depreciate that much after a year.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:12 AM
DSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C4SxM5 View Post
Thanks for the insight and all my research points in the direction that the 720 > 488 performance wise. Also heard the about Ferrari dealers but Iím not purchasing new.

Im still on the fence about resale though since I have kept a car for more than year for the last decade. The 720 Iím currently looking at has a msrp of $390k and is selling for $100k+ less. I donít know if I can stomach that kind of loss after a year at this point but also donít know if 488s depreciate that much after a year.
From what Iíve seen, the Mac dealers are also very open to negotiating. For a used 720 around that price point, Iíd say another 10-18% could be in the table for a motivated dealer.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DSCOFF View Post
From what Iíve seen, the Mac dealers are also very open to negotiating. For a used 720 around that price point, Iíd say another 10-18% could be in the table for a motivated dealer.
Guaranteed theyíre more open to negotiating than a Ferrari dealer.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:46 AM
I have a few dealers offering 10% off msrp for new 720s and can probably get it the 12-15% range if I negotiated.

Im only in the market for private party sellers though and have seen about 25-30% off used for high stickers and less 5kmi.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM
I have a few dealers offering 10% off msrp for new 720s and can probably get it the 12-15% range if I negotiated.

Im only in the market for private party sellers though and have seen about 25-30% off used for high stickers and less 5kmi.
Think about this... if you buy from a dealer youíll get a CPO car that the annual service can be negotiated into the price, along with an extended warranty. Saves big money in the long run.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:03 PM
DSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond reputeDSCOFF has a reputation beyond repute

The various MAC Facebook groups could be a good source if you haven't checked those out. It's slowly becoming the new forum

Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Hi,

If you are looking for performance oriented car, the 720's is your best bet!

Manuel

Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by 99Gdzra View Post
Think about this... if you buy from a dealer youíll get a CPO car that the annual service can be negotiated into the price, along with an extended warranty. Saves big money in the long run.
Buying for a dealer vs PP is an additional $22k in sales tax alone. Iím not sure if an additional year of warranty and maitenance would be financially wise under those circumstances.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by DSCOFF View Post
The various MAC Facebook groups could be a good source if you haven't checked those out. It's slowly becoming the new forum
Thanks for the info. Going to search/join the group!

Old 05-15-2019, 06:10 AM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
Big Mac with some sauce from Pure Turbos!

Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 AM
wrs
wrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond reputewrs has a reputation beyond repute
Where is Arnie? He has a 488 Spider and he had a 488 prior to that. I have a 488 Spider and I can tell you it's a lot better than the 991tts was. It's not as fast off the line only because it doesn't have the AWD but it leaves the 991tts in the dust after the first 1000 feet or so. I ran a lot of quarter miles out on my county road and I took the Ferrari out there last fall to test it. It ran 10.91 @ 134 on 93 vs my Stage 4 991tts which ran [email protected] on 93 under the same conditions. The 60ft was 1.88s on the Ferrari and for the 991tts it was 1.56s so there is .3s right there in ET. I think the 488 would do better if I used the ESC off setting on the manettino, I had it on RACE. The 0-60 was only 3.2s with a 1ft rollout so clearly the car was traction limited off the line but it's very much stronger than the Porsche which can be seen in the trap speed. In addition, I could tell that the 488 was faster because I was able to hit 150 before needing to brake safely which was not the case for the Porsche.

At the track the 488 is much better than the 991tts. I have been to COTA three times with the 488 and my best lap is in traffic at 2:36 while my best lap with the Porsche was 2:41 and I typically ran 2:42-2:45 in traffic. I am confident that I could get the 488 below 2:30 with a couple more trips. It's better in the corners and coming out of them. The 488 Spider is a great car and I am not interested in the 720s for a few tenths of a second in the quarter mile which is the only place where it's obviously faster at this point.

I haven't had any issues with the car or the battery and I don't use the tender. My car has 3000 miles on it in the first year. I added a Tubi Straight Pipe exhaust which sounds great but all it really does is to remove the muffler/resonator box. The 488 Spider is a great car with great style. I think the MacLarens perform well but the looks are not to my taste.

Last edited by wrs; 05-17-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:27 AM
toothdoc

Looks like the 991.2 Turbo S was quicker than the 488 to 160 mph. Both stock vehicles .

Old 05-17-2019, 11:52 AM
toothdoc

Also, it appears the 991.2 Turbo S did the Nurburingring 7:17 while the 488 did it in 7:21.

Just curious, how your 488 destroys the Turbo S on the track ?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone switch to 488 or 720s?

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.