Reason to buy a 991 over a GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
Reason to buy a 991 over a GTS

According to my sales guy they still have build slots for GTSs which could be configured for less money with more zoot than a new 991 C2S. My question is, is there any compelling reason to buy the new car. Power steering , auto start/stop, coasting feature. Help me guys .I'm not feeling the love.
Jim

Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Buy used 997.2 now, then buy 991 in 2 years.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
The major reasons I would think for anyone to buy a gts right now is:

1) money (it's cheaper)
2) they don't like the sleek new modern redesigned look of the 991
3) they can't wait for the 991

Not me. I am excited for the 991 and look forward to the major improvements in performance. The 991 laps the N'ring at 7:40 without even trying hard.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Here are my thoughts (and I'm known to be on the 997 GTS bandwagon):

Reasons for GTS:
* Want a 6spd NOW (no idea when 7spd 991 will be available)
* Alcantara Interior (no options seen for 991)
* $$$
* Options list on 991 (will you add PDCC, PDK, PSE, SPASM, PDLS, Sport Design kit, Sport Steering, etc?)
* PASM & PSE standard on GTS along with PowerKit and WideBody
* Prefer the 997 look

Reasons for 991S:
* Faster than GTS (either PDK or 7spd)
* Better fuel efficiency (hey, some 911 drivers pay attention to this)
* NAV is standard
* New Interior
* Sport Chrono includes Dynamic Engine Mounts, not sure about PTV
* Prefer the longer, sleeker look

I would have a tough time with this decision if faced with it now, but still think I'd go for the GTS because I love the RWD, WB configuration along with the standard features of the GTS that make it relatively unique among the Carrera models (alcantara, PowerKit, PSE, CLs). To me, it's like having a GT3 with a WB, rear seat and no rear wing...and a little less power. The perfect 911...for me.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dallascajun

Reasons for GTS:
* $$$
* Options list on 991 (will you add PDCC, PDK, PSE, SPASM, PDLS, Sport Design kit, Sport Steering, etc?
* Whats wrong with having more options? This isn't a legit reason. More options mean more customization and the 991 becomes more and more personal.
PASM & PSE standard on GTS PASM is standard and PSE can be equipped easily. along with PowerKit and WideBody
* Prefer the 997 look Really, the body kit and the wide body are apart of the same point

Reasons for 991S:
* NAV is standard
* New Interior

I would have a tough time with this decision if faced with it now, but still think I'd go for the GTS because I love the RWD, WB configuration along with the standard features of the GTS that make it relatively unique among the Carrera models (alcantara, PowerKit, PSE, CLs). To me, it's like having a GT3 with a WB, rear seat and no rear wing...and a little less power. The perfect 911...for me.
As seen above, there are really only 4 reasons why to get a GTS (looks, money, impatient, or interior). However, as you can clearly see, there are many more reasons why to get a 991. I am a patient man, so I'll wait for the 991. But I understand we live in a society of instant gratification, so if you have to have it right now, I can understand why you'd get a GTS.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dallascajun

Reasons for GTS:
* $$$
* Options list on 991 (will you add PDCC, PDK, PSE, SPASM, PDLS, Sport Design kit, Sport Steering, etc?)
* PASM & PSE standard on GTS along with PowerKit and WideBody
* Prefer the 997 look

Reasons for 991S:
* NAV is standard
* New Interior

I think the biggest reason to get the 991 is missing from the above list. It is the longer wheelbase! Longer wheelbase gives much better handling characteristics to the car, better ride comfort on street driving, better performance on the track. As one analyst said, "the long road to making the 911 a mid-engined car has begun with the 991" The lengthening of the 991 wheelbase WITHOUT significantly increasing the length of the car allows for the engine's center of gravity to move forward in the car. This IMO will have a significant impact on driving dynamics.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM
WeekendHP will become famous soon enough
I vote for the GTS, I don't know about this 7 speed manual I guess we will have to wait for some reviews on that.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 PM
T33
T33 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
I think the biggest reason to get the 991 is missing from the above list. It is the longer wheelbase! Longer wheelbase gives much better handling characteristics to the car, better ride comfort on street driving, better performance on the track. As one analyst said, "the long road to making the 911 a mid-engined car has begun with the 991" The lengthening of the 991 wheelbase WITHOUT significantly increasing the length of the car allows for the engine's center of gravity to move forward in the car. This IMO will have a significant impact on driving dynamics.

+1. Newer is always better.... 99% of the time. Porsche spends million$$$ on R&D. I'd get a 991S.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
depends if you really lie the 997 or the new look of the 991? plus if you want to dish out the extra money for a 991, as far as the performance, its very very close, unless you are tracking the car, you wont notice at all..... what 4.3 to 4.4

Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
The only 997 I'd get today is either a 7.2 RS, RS4.0 or GT2 RS.

Otherwise, 991 is a much better choice!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Crea

+1. I would actually wait for the 991 TT, GT3 and GT2. They would be so much better than the equivalent 997s!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Originally Posted by Crea

Generally true, but I'd rather have a 997.2 GT3, TTs too. I'd rather have a 997 GTS over a base 991. Maybe even a 997.2S over a base 991? But I'd take a 991S over my car or a GTS. I would have to drive it first though, to check out the steering.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
What about a 997.1 C2S manual to 991 base C2 with PDK? Conceptually, it bothers me a little to go to a 3.4L engine with 5 less HP than what I have now (I know it's lighter, the handling is different, all body, etc.)

It's either that or maybe a 2009 C2 cabriolet with PDK (cab just to try something different since I've never owned one). The 991 C2S is pricey with PDK, SC, PSE, and Bose. Not sure I can justify that expenditure to myself.

Mostly I want an automatic transmission for a DD, I'm tired of the 6 speed in traffic to be honest.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Where did you see that 7:40 ring time?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Why is a longer wheel base better for handling? Seems like it was more due to CAFE...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reason to buy a 991 over a GTS