First 991 Drive (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:21 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChrisEVO
I thought I was going to be in the minority but +1 on the OP comments. Drove one yesterday and came away underwhelmed. It's a really great car with nice luxury amenities and amazing performance. It's just not for me. The whole car felt muted. If I wanted a hot daily driver with effortless performance, this would be the car. I want to be part of the process; to be flooded with feedback. It didn't do that. I believe this car will sell like hotcakes because it will make the average Joe drive like a hero. If that becomes my goal in the future, I think I'd take a GT-R first.

This is so funny...when I went to the place to pick up my chicken wings my friend who owns the place said he tested the 991 yesterday. We talk about it a few minutes and he goes in the back and come out with the 2013 Nissan GT-R brochure and tells me for 90K he rather have this.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Manifold
You guys have given me the courage to confess that I might take a GT-R over a (PDK) 991 as well (but not over my 997). In some respects, the 991 moves the 911 into more direct competition with the GT-R, and arguably the GT-R is the unbeatable master of its own game.

For anyone who hasn't driven a GT-R, I urge you to do so - that thing is crazy!
LOL, so true...I just added a few mods on an already very fast GT-R and the car is ridiculous 0-100MPH. Bugatti territory!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by synergy
LOL, so true...I just added a few mods on an already very fast GT-R and the car is ridiculous 0-100MPH. Bugatti territory!
Not to threadjack but how has your cost-of-ownership been on the GTR? You hear horror stories on the brakes (which I don't believe) and really odd and hard to fathom maint charges.

I've always written this stuff off as bogus. Your thoughts?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Glad to see I'm not alone with my GT-R thoughts. The 991 does sound like it is getting closer to the GT-R but I really think it depends on how you configure it. Take away the PDCC and PTV and their may be enough difference.

We just won't know until we each get some more seat time.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
geez guys, the 991 is a 911.
it is stll arsed engined, naturally aspirated (sounds 10 times better), RWD and a Porsche.
to compare it with the japanese playstation is (still) ridicilous.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
it is stll arsed engined, naturally aspirated (sounds 10 times better), RWD and a Porsche.
I'm sorry but this shows your complete fanboyism. If you can't appreciate a GT-R for what it is I feel bad for you.

I don't know if you track your porsche or if you go to the track but the GT-R is a terrific car for the money. Its a performance vehicle at a good price point.

Its OK for the 991 to get all the gizmos but in a japanese car its a playstation.

Talk about biased.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I knew that would step on some toes, hence my fear in confessing it.

Agreed that the 991 is still a 911, but I worry that enough of its classic 911ness has been taken away to make it more vulnerable to competition like the GT-R, R8, and maybe some others (Maserati? Aston?).

I'm definitely going to drive the 991 again, hoping that the second drive will be more compelling. It's certainly a possibility. Maybe 'love at first drive' was just too high an expectation? Fingers crossed ...

Old 02-05-2012, 03:46 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
For the record I didn't say that ^^^^^^

Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
of course i am biased but even with all the new gizmos both cars are still miles apart.
even a TT-RS is closer to a GT-R than a Carrera.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
of course i am biased but even with all the new gizmos both cars are still miles apart.
even a TT-RS is closer to a GT-R than a Carrera.
Why are you biased? Because you're in Germany? The cars you drive? Do you work for Porsche? Please explain.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Manifold
Why are you biased? Because you're in Germany? The cars you drive? Do you work for Porsche? Please explain.

because i am a Porschephile, i grew up with them, nuff said.

P.S. i am born in Hockenheim (~60 miles away from Zuffenhausen, often used by Porsche as a test track back in the days).
i lived less than a mile away from the track and my aunt was selling tickets for the events there.
the first racecar i was sitting in was a 700HP Dauer Porsche, when i was 13 years old.
that car, that sound! no wonder i am biased.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-05-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:06 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I would not compare a 991s with a GTR. That comparison will be made when we see the 991 tripple turbo.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by EricP
Not to threadjack but how has your cost-of-ownership been on the GTR? You hear horror stories on the brakes (which I don't believe) and really odd and hard to fathom maint charges.

I've always written this stuff off as bogus. Your thoughts?
I only have 7k miles, no issues so far, just a couple $100 oil changes. The newer models are low cost of maint.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by PT Doc
I would not compare a 991s with a GTR. That comparison will be made when we see the 991 tripple turbo.
I dont agree, my new 12 GT-R was $90k which is totally Carrera territory....sure its faster than a Carrera but costs much less than a 991 Porsche Turbo, probably half.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Porsche but for performance the currently shipping Porsche's cant touch the new GT-R.

Period.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Maybe it's still too early, but I'm not hearing overwhelming praise for the 991, and quite a few people seem to be at least a little disappointed with it. I'm surprised. Yet it's hard to believe Porsche could misjudge their market that much. Maybe 6speeders aren't very representative of 911 buyers overall? Maybe the average 911 buyer isn't a car nut, but rather a guy who has a decent income, isn't interested in doing a lot of car research, and just wants to get something cool looking, fairly sporty, comfortable enough for a DD, associated with a prestigious pedigree, and supportive of bragging rights?

And if Porsche has misjudged their market, maybe a 991.2 might not be too far into the future?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First 991 Drive (Manifold)