First 991 Drive (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by synergy
I dont agree, my new 12 GT-R was $90k which is totally Carrera territory....sure its faster than a Carrera but costs much less than a 991 Porsche Turbo, probably half.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Porsche but for performance the currently shipping Porsche's cant touch the new GT-R.

Period.
My statement was to compare based on performance not price. The GTR and TT are competitors based on performance. The 991 might compare on price but does not in performance. The GTR really does not have a close performance and price competitor. Yet many don't own one.

Last edited by PT Doc; 02-05-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PT Doc
My statement was to compare based on performance not price. The GTR and TT are competitors based on performance. The 991 might compare on price but des not in performance. The GTR really does not have a close performance and price competitor. Yet any don't own one.
Fair enough - well said.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PT Doc
My statement was to compare based on performance not price. The GTR and TT are competitors based on performance. The 991 might compare on price but des not in performance. The GTR really does not have a close performance and price competitor. Yet any don't own one.
Fair enough - well said.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Manifold
Maybe it's still too early, but I'm not hearing overwhelming praise for the 991, and quite a few people seem to be at least a little disappointed with it. I'm surprised. Yet it's hard to believe Porsche could misjudge their market that much. Maybe 6speeders aren't very representative of 911 buyers overall? Maybe the average 911 buyer isn't a car nut, but rather a guy who has a decent income, isn't interested in doing a lot of car research, and just wants to get something cool looking, fairly sporty, comfortable enough for a DD, associated with a prestigious pedigree, and supportive of bragging rights?

And if Porsche has misjudged their market, maybe a 991.2 might not be too far into the future?
Can't say I agree with much of that. With a few exceptions, the press and test drive reviews have been very positive.

I could be wrong, but the naysayers seem to mostly be recent buyers of 997s who(let's face it) have the most to lose if the 991 makes a quantum leap from the 997. Understandable and lines up with the idea that people generally respond to incentive.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Maybe it's still too early, but I'm not hearing overwhelming praise for the 991, and quite a few people seem to be at least a little disappointed with it. I'm surprised. Yet it's hard to believe Porsche could misjudge their market that much. Maybe 6speeders aren't very representative of 911 buyers overall? Maybe the average 911 buyer isn't a car nut, but rather a guy who has a decent income, isn't interested in doing a lot of car research, and just wants to get something cool looking, fairly sporty, comfortable enough for a DD, associated with a prestigious pedigree, and supportive of bragging rights?

And if Porsche has misjudged their market, maybe a 991.2 might not be too far into the future?
I don't know how they will double 991 sales especially since we in the states (and specifically California) are still in a major recession. I have no idea since I think that this market segment is starting to shrink. The housing crisis hit millionaires too in the valley. Maybe they are trying to snipe S class, m5, or vantage v8 owners? I have no idea. Maybe they will sell more of these cars to China? No clue over here. Although I do think that doubling sales is a little too aggressive...I still think that the 991 will sell decently well...but I don't think they can achieve their sales goal.

Since the 991 is aimed at a wider audience. I think that it will draw more people, but I don't think that it will draw as many people as Porsche thinks it will. After all, if people want a fast porsche that is very comfortable, the panny fits the bill much better than the 991...and has a smaller price tag too. I think we enthusiasts will increasing become a smaller proportion of 911 buyers since the 991 will definitely attract a different crowd. I wish the 991.2 (assuming they will refresh the 991) would plop in the hydraulic steering back into the 911. A guy can dream right?

Originally Posted by Sapster
Can't say I agree with much of that. With a few exceptions, the press and test drive reviews have been very positive.

I could be wrong, but the naysayers seem to mostly be recent buyers of 997s who(let's face it) have the most to lose if the 991 makes a quantum leap from the 997. Understandable and lines up with the idea that people generally respond to incentive.
I am in the market for a 991 and am serious about actually purchasing an 2012 model (don't want a 13 or 14 model). So I think it would be unfair to stereotype any naysayer.

I am at a loss of words for why I am not blown away by the performance of the 991. I mean, this car can lap the 'ring in 7:40, there were rave reviews everywhere, and Chris Harris even said that the 991s "feels like a real step on from the last GT3 RS." If professional drivers are saying such positive things, then what's going on with me? I cannot come up with a logical explanation for this disparity. To be honest, it could vary well just be the way I am driving the car. But I think it is pretty hard to mess something so simple as up putting the 991 into sport plus mode and flooring it. It isn't rocket science. I don't know. Oh well, the lack of low end torque and the change to the hydraulic steering system still won't prevent me from buying. I love the higher red line, the great exhaust, and amazing looks. I guess the only thing that I am not sold on is the price.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
As a car lover first and foremost, my opinions tend to be less about what's sitting in the garage and more about the driving experience. I love reading Chris Harris and other auto journo's too but sometimes I've felt like I'm driving a different car than they are. This was one of those cases. Fair to say they got a hell of a lot more quality seat time than I did, but I know what I felt. I really wanted to love the 991 as the GT3 beater i could drive every day. To me, it just didn't seem it. Two difficult and diverse goals to achieve. Honestly, I joked with my wife before I left "honey, don't be mad if I come home and want to trade in both cars for a 991". She, like many times before, just shook her head.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:32 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !

I could be wrong, but the naysayers seem to mostly be recent buyers of 997s who(let's face it) have the most to lose if the 991 makes a quantum leap from the 997.
^^This

Old 02-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !

But that's the thing, 6speeders are neither the press nor career reviewers, which goes back to my hypothesis that our opinion of the car may differ because we're not representative of them or 911 buyers overall.

It's possible that 997 owners are biased towards not liking the 991, but I certainly don't fit that description. I went there and drove it hoping and expecting to love it enough that I'd want to replace my 997, with the only question being how soon I'd make the switch. Instead, I came away feeling that I'd rather keep my 997, even if they offered me a trade with no cost to me. But I'm going to drive the 991 again, hoping that more seat time will somehow make a difference.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
But that's the thing, 6speeders are neither the press nor career reviewers, which goes back to my hypothesis that our opinion of the car may differ because we're not representative of them or 911 buyers overall.

It's possible that 997 owners are biased towards not liking the 991, but I certainly don't fit that description. I went there and drove it hoping and expecting to love it enough that I'd want to replace my 997, with the only question being how soon I'd make the switch. Instead, I came away feeling that I'd rather keep my 997, even if they offered me a trade with no cost to me. But I'm going to drive the 991 again, hoping that more seat time will somehow make a difference.
Same here...I love my 997 but its really turning into a track car. i'm looking for another car to replace my boxster. No rush but I have no reason to prefer the 997.2 over the 991.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !

And maybe, just maybe; some of the people who are staunchly defending the 991 as a quantum leap over the 997.2 pre-ordered without even a test drive?

It can work both ways.

Last edited by buck986; 02-06-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
And maybe, just maybe; some of the people who are vicariously defending the 991 as a quantum leap over the 997.2 pre-ordered without even a test drive?

It can work both ways.
True. Personally, I can't even imagine buying a car, much less an expensive one, without a test drive, or preferably multiple test drives. Over the course of more than a year, we did about thirty test drives of various Porsches before settling on the two that we got. It took a long time, but our dealer was very accommodating, it was fun, and we were able to make the decisions with confidence.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
And maybe, just maybe; some of the people who are staunchly defending the 991 as a quantum leap over the 997.2 pre-ordered without even a test drive?
A completely valid point, but some of them (us?) can back out of the order if the test drive taken before delivery disappoints. (i.e. - there's less of an incentive to defend 'their' corner).

Personally, I am rather anxious to try the car and will finally get to this week. Hopefully I won't be coming away underwhelmed.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 AM
A completely valid point, but some of them (us?) can back out of the order if the test drive taken before delivery disappoints. (i.e. - there's less of an incentive to defend 'their' corner).

Personally, I am rather anxious to try the car and will finally get to this week. Hopefully I won't be coming away underwhelmed.
You won't be. The 991 is a fantastic car and no one is saying its not. Its all boils down to personal preferences and expectations.

Best of luck with the new car and please share lots of feedback.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I'm trying to define my car needs in my head. Why do I own 911's and what do I use them for. This 991 will primarily be my DD. I work from a home office primarily, so my driving needs are made up of personal errands and getting to a golf course, picking up the daughter, going to the gym, taking the wife out, etc. I likely won't track the car. Highway driving will be almost daily but avg 5-7 miles per day.

I guess the 991 fits me perfectly - I definitely posted comments 2 years ago about how I disliked the ride of my C4s. You gotta understand Denver roads are terrible. Even in the summer we are dealing with filled potholes from the winter plows. Even new asphalt has cracks in it from thermal expansion. Manhole covers are not brought up to to the level of the new paving job so they are typically recessed 2-4 inches, etc...

So in everyday stoplight to stoplight driving with the occasional enjoyment of an on-ramp and blasting down a 45-50mph road, that's all I can do. If I drive to the airport I can blow down a 75mph toll road randomly popping up to 90 and back down to 75.

A large part of my need is comfort and general legal limits enjoyment. I HAVE LOST MY LICENSE TWICE IN 43 YEARS BY SPEEDING!!! I JUST GOT IT BACK IN NOVEMBER.. Those defining the car as less of a 911 and a move towards luxury are actually telling me what I want to hear. NOW I HAVE DRIVEN the 991 and I feel the reports of the death of the 911 are greatly exaggerated. It still vibrated when sitting in neutral or park on a cold start. You CAN feel the engine, TRULY. The quarters are still MUCH MUCH smaller that an E92 (latest rev) BMW M3. You are encapsulated in this car. The engine winds up and down much faster that the 997.2 which leads to the feeling of sportiness BIG TIME. Think F! car rev'ing in the pits. Steering is quick AND REQUIRES INTENTION AND EFFORT TO MANIPULATE - doesn't rival a lincoln town car where you can flip a u-turn with your index finger - NOT AT ALL. All these aspects keep the feel of a 911 alive. And I'm a creature of comfort - so I welcome improvements in interior material quality and design.

There are surely those of you who need near GT3 level performance and track your car every other week, etc. But I don't. Not to say the 991 can't compete in this realm, I just don't need it. So maybe my judgement as "plenty of sports car and 911 heritage" is not a complete assessment.

(disclaimer - tracked dozens of hours in the past, grew up with a 308 and a Shelby in the garage from youth, raced drags all thru high school and college, family involved in SCCA from the dawn of time, total technical car guy by definition)

Last edited by EricP; 02-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by EricP
I'm trying to define my car needs in my head. Why do I own 911's and what do I use them for. This 991 will primarily be my DD. I work from a home office primarily, so my driving needs are made up of personal errands and getting to a golf course, picking up the daughter, going to the gym, taking the wife out, etc. I likely won't track the car. Highway driving will be almost daily but avg 5-7 miles per day.

I guess the 991 fits me perfectly - I definitely posted comments 2 years ago about how I disliked the ride of my C4s. You gotta understand Denver roads are terrible. Even in the summer we are dealing with filled potholes from the winter plows. Even new asphalt has cracks in it from thermal expansion. Manhole covers are not brought up to to the level of the new paving job so they are typically recessed 2-4 inches, etc...

So in everyday stoplight to stoplight driving with the occasional enjoyment of an on-ramp and blasting down a 45-50mph road, that's all I can do. If I drive to the airport I can blow down a 75mph toll road randomly popping up to 90 and back down to 75.

A large part of my need is comfort and general legal limits enjoyment. I HAVE LOST MY LICENSE TWICE IN 43 YEARS BY SPEEDING!!! I JUST GOT IT BACK IN NOVEMBER.. Those defining the car as less of a 911 and a move towards luxury are actually telling me what I want to hear. NOW I HAVE DRIVEN the 991 and I feel the reports of the death of the 911 are greatly exaggerated. It still vibrated when sitting in neutral or park on a cold start. You CAN feel the engine, TRULY. The quarters are still MUCH MUCH smaller that an E92 (latest rev) BMW M3. You are encapsulated in this car. The engine winds up and down much faster that the 997.2 which leads to the feeling of sportiness BIG TIME. Think F! car rev'ing in the pits. Steering is quick AND REQUIRES INTENTION AND EFFORT TO MANIPULATE - doesn't rival a lincoln town car where you can flip a u-turn with your index finger - NOT AT ALL. All these aspects keep the feel of a 911 alive. And I'm a creature of comfort - so I welcome improvements in interior material quality and design.

There are surely those of you who need near GT3 level performance and track your car every other week, etc. But I don't. Not to say the 991 can't compete in this realm, I just don't need it. So maybe my judgement as "plenty of sports car and 911 heritage" is not completely analyzed..

(disclaimer - tracked dozens of hours in the past, grew up with a 308 and a Shelby in the garage from youth, raced drags all thru high school and college, family involved in SCCA from the dawn of time, total technical car guy by definition)
Based on your situation and preferences, the 991 does seem like a good fit, and perhaps a better fit than the 997.

By contrast, my roads are mostly pretty smooth, I seek out roads where I can engage in seriously spirited driving (until I get a nasty ticket), and once it gets warmer I'll be tracking the CR and probably also the 911.

I guess we can say that the 991 is a somewhat different car than the 997. Neither better nor worse in all respects. Just different. So some people will like the 991 more and others will like 997 more, and there's no necessity for everyone to agree.

Here's to wishing you much enjoyment of your 991!

Last edited by Manifold; 02-06-2012 at 09:00 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First 991 Drive (Manifold)