Test drove a 991 on a track no holds barred

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Test drove a 991 on a track no holds barred

Wonderful weapon is all i can say. I cant say there is trmendous improvement in looks but the way it rides and handles is really astounding. Yup as fast as a 997 gt3 but when you drive it on public roads, i reaaly with the comfort of
An s class. Really great stuff.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going on a PCNA sponsored event at homestead speedway with the new 991 next week. my normal, street test drive left me impressed (specially the sound on the non pse sample I drove) I just can't imagine this beast at the track...

Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Its just a great car. Can you imagine being in one piloted by professional drivers.... Side drifting into conrners...seeing and feeling what the car does as the pilot executes a scan flick...the sound.. The performance, ohhhh that sound...beautiful... It is just miles away from a 997.2 plus it has 20 inch wheels, and then you take it out on the road and again you saw WOW it rides like a luxury car on 20 " wheels...Is this possible? And the answer is yes. Only on a 991. Oh did i mention how the pdk does its downshift with a blip of the throttle and that beautiful exhaust sound as it pop pops. Homerun in sales for porsche for sure. Yes it was the porsche roadshow.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Amd to add to that, the door sounds a lot better when you close it. Though still not the sound i like but nevertheless more solid than what we were used to on the previous genration.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Its just a great car. Can you imagine being in one piloted by professional drivers.... Side drifting into conrners...seeing and feeling what the car does as the pilot executes a scan flick...the sound.. The performance, ohhhh that sound...beautiful... It is just miles away from a 997.2 plus it has 20 inch wheels, and then you take it out on the road and again you saw WOW it rides like a luxury car on 20 " wheels...Is this possible? And the answer is yes. Only on a 991. Oh did i mention how the pdk does its downshift with a blip of the throttle and that beautiful exhaust sound as it pop pops. Homerun in sales for porsche for sure. Yes it was the porsche roadshow.
You alright there Slick Rick?

Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
just what i was expecting from test drive reports, some say it´s meh, some say it´s orgasmic.

in germany we would call the new 991 "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (egglaying woolmilkpig)
cause the car tries to satisfy all needs.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-04-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:50 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
just what i was expecting from test drive reports, some say it´s meh, some say it´s orgasmic.

in germany we would call the new 991 "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (egglaying woolmilkpig)
cause the car tries to satisfy all needs.
Hah. Can I use that ? Egglaying woolmilkpig. lol.

The OP's test drive is exactly what I expected to hear. This car is a well engineered beast. So it's more comfortable - THANK YOU PORSCHE for fixing the items that made me sell my 997.2. Give it 6-10 months and the naysayers will all own one. After it wins a few races and another Pikes Peak Hill Climb record then everyone will jump onboard.

Even if you can't see the motor from above

BTW - below is a photo of the 2011 911 Sport Classic engine bay. Zzzzzz

Attached Images  

Last edited by EricP; 02-04-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP

The OP's test drive is exactly what I expected to hear. This car is a well engineered beast. So it's more comfortable - THANK YOU PORSCHE for fixing the items that made me sell my 997.2. Give it 6-10 months and the naysayers will all own one. After it wins a few races and another Pikes Peak Hill Climb record then everyone will jump onboard.

Agreed.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !

my thoughts, i think the moans will end when the 991 GT beasts arrive, cause the Carreras will always be a polarizing compromise.

P.S. use it! so one day it may find its way into the dictionary.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-05-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

The 991 will not be winning races in 10 months. Everyone will still have the 997 for that long. The new cup car/RSR will not be featured in racing until 2013 at the earliest, probably 2014 before there are more 991's than 997's racing.

+ Winning races is expected of Porsche, it will not bring any additional credit. (I.E. Porsche 1-2-3 @ 24 hrs of Daytona), ALMS, World Challenge championships etc.

Besides, once it's stripped of all the dynamic handling gadgets for racing, is when we will see how the chassis really handles. I trust that Porsche knows what they are doing and we will not be disappointed, just trying to add a dose of reality here.