Notices
991
Sponsored by:

991 radar detector install ?

 
  #61  
Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
shumi_9's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 10
shumi_9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter View Post
Why is hanging from the rear view mirror a bad location and where would a more centralized location be?
It is actually mounted on top of the rear view mirror. When an alarm is triggered, a lot of information is shown on the 9500ci display which takes a bit more to assimilate than the quick glance I use to check who is behind me on the rear view mirror. The display shows instant speed info, strength of signal, front vs rear laser jammers, type of radar/laser,etc.., and while reading the info, you have to decide whether to react to it or not. I just feel a bit uncomfortable shifting my attention away from what is ahead. It is approximately a 25 degree turn of your head. I wish had placed the display on top of the steering column as an example. I consider that location more centralized and a bit less distracting....


 

Last edited by shumi_9; 01-11-2013 at 05:01 PM.
  #62  
Old 01-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Detroit Shooter's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 13
Detroit Shooter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post
When an alarm is triggered, a lot of information is shown on the 9500ci display which takes a bit more to assimilate than the quick glance I use to check who is behind me on the rear view mirror. The display shows instant speed info, strength of signal, front vs rear laser jammers, type of radar/laser,etc.., and while reading the info, you have to decide whether to react to it or not. I just feel a bit uncomfortable shifting my attention away from what is ahead. It is approximately a 25 degree turn of your head. I wish had placed the display on top of the steering column as an example. I consider that location more centralized and a bit less distracting....
I guess I am confused. I thought you have seconds to slow down not read what is on the display.

There are a few scenarios in my driving. On the highway going a reasonable speed over the speed limit. Detector goes off I am off the gas getting to the limit.

On the highway going way over the limit, detector goes off I am aggressively getting to the speed limit.

I am in "town", I am really not speeding so I am not that concerned.
I will get frisky here and there but there are not a lot of false alarms because I am not banging gears on "main street".

I am on the back roads being aggressive, detector goes off I am slowing down aggressively.

In my normal travels I am not seeing a lot of instances where I am not slowing down at an alarm or ignoring an alarm. I don't see a lot of accessing an alarm.

This is based on my prior experience with detectors which did not provide a lot of information but I was on a motorcycle that was quite a bit faster then most if not all cars.

Am I really that far off?
 
  #63  
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
PorscheCrazy's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,475
Rep Power: 86
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I mirror mounted mine, and ran the wire along the A post and headliner. Nice clean install. Here is pic.
 
Attached Images  
  #64  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM
1mirage's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 101
Rep Power: 12
1mirage has a spectacular aura about1mirage has a spectacular aura about
Nicoly where did you get this?

Can't seem to find this display set up and mount. Where did you get it?
 
Attached Images  
  #65  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 AM
nicoli's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 867
Rep Power: 71
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1mirage View Post
Can't seem to find this display set up and mount. Where did you get it?
Hi, this was custom fabricated by Benchmark Motoring in Seattle.
 
  #66  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Dadz911's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 10
Dadz911 is on a distinguished road
Another option, which is what I have chosen, is one of our site sponsors, www.radar-mirrors.com. Scott is great. He mounts the display in your rearview mirror so it takes up no space at all, super clean and invisible to others. When the car is off you can not see it at all and when the car is on the display can be seen from behind the glass in the mirror. I used him for my M3 and decided to do it again on my new 991. He sells the units, has core mirrors so you are not without yours while he is doing his thing. Give him a shout, tell him you are a member here. I think his work is fantastic and makes for a super clean install, stealthy too.
 
  #67  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Detroit Shooter's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 13
Detroit Shooter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dadz911 View Post
Another option, which is what I have chosen, is one of our site sponsors, www.radar-mirrors.com. Scott is great. He mounts the display in your rearview mirror so it takes up no space at all, super clean and invisible to others. When the car is off you can not see it at all and when the car is on the display can be seen from behind the glass in the mirror. I used him for my M3 and decided to do it again on my new 991. He sells the units, has core mirrors so you are not without yours while he is doing his thing. Give him a shout, tell him you are a member here. I think his work is fantastic and makes for a super clean install, stealthy too.
I also went the Radar Mirror route and sent my mirror to Scott and bought the radar detector unit from him. I was able to get a better deal going that way. If you want an on top of the column mount another vendor has made a replacement steering column cover that houses the Escort/Bell display. Its from AI design

 
Attached Images  
  #68  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Dadz911's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 10
Dadz911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter View Post
I also went the Radar Mirror route and sent my mirror to Scott and bought the radar detector unit from him. I was able to get a better deal going that way. If you want an on top of the column mount another vendor has made a replacement steering column cover that houses the Escort/Bell display. Its from AI design

That looks pretty sweet. I can't seem to find them on Google. Do you have their site?
 
  #69  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Detroit Shooter's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 13
Detroit Shooter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dadz911 View Post
That looks pretty sweet. I can't seem to find them on Google. Do you have their site?

aidesign.com
 
  #70  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Carracho's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 14
Carracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to behold
Hi,
a question from Germany - is it officially forbidden to use radar detectors in the states ? I always thought it's allowed.... so why do you need concealed installations ? Here, we do need to make them invisible...
 
  #71  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Detroit Shooter's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 13
Detroit Shooter is on a distinguished road
The car is so beautiful to hang something off the windshield looks bad. It is also a temptation for theives.
 
  #72  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 AM
20-C4-10's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LA
Posts: 253
Rep Power: 35
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
hey guys have any of you tried the cobra iradar 200? i had a 9500ci in my other 997.2 and that thing worked decent to ok, the GPS would constantly not work, the KA band completely failed on my first unit, can you believe that? I had to get a replacement and the one worked fine. Just don't want to rip off my front bumper and pay another 300 on installs to ensure a clean job. Thats why this cobra thing seems pretty compelling, no other units just simply one thing to slap on your front dash no bull hanging, and it bluetooths straight to your iphone.

http://reviews.cnet.com/radar-detect...-35406298.html
 
  #73  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
998M's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 595
Rep Power: 47
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Carracho View Post
Hi,
a question from Germany - is it officially forbidden to use radar detectors in the states ? I always thought it's allowed.... so why do you need concealed installations ? Here, we do need to make them invisible...
detectors are illegal in a couple of states. I like the clean look and the Escort 9500 has GPS.
 
  #74  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:29 PM
campy06's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: houston
Posts: 18
Rep Power: 0
campy06 is on a distinguished road
I have the new K40 installed and working. It has been in for about 3 weeks or so. I find that it works fairly well with radar. I have not been hit with laser as of yet. However, I do get at least 1/2 notice on most all radar bands. The control box is mounted inside the dash under the steering wheel. The notification markers are shown below just above the gauges.

I work at a dealership and the installer told me that the new 991 is one of the hardest installs that they have done. They only have one technician that will work on the car.

As advertised it does have a GPS unit and you can mute areas etc. It is very easy to program and remote is pretty small and easy to conceal.

I have never had any brand, but pretty happy with this K40.
 
Attached Images  
  #75  
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM
20-C4-10's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LA
Posts: 253
Rep Power: 35
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
Campy,

Do you know how they removed the coin pouch? If not can you ask the foreman or technician how you can remove that annoying little thing? Rubberized plastic insert?

Originally Posted by campy06 View Post
I have the new K40 installed and working. It has been in for about 3 weeks or so. I find that it works fairly well with radar. I have not been hit with laser as of yet. However, I do get at least 1/2 notice on most all radar bands. The control box is mounted inside the dash under the steering wheel. The notification markers are shown below just above the gauges.

I work at a dealership and the installer told me that the new 991 is one of the hardest installs that they have done. They only have one technician that will work on the car.

As advertised it does have a GPS unit and you can mute areas etc. It is very easy to program and remote is pretty small and easy to conceal.

I have never had any brand, but pretty happy with this K40.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 radar detector install ?


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.