If i buy the 991S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
If i buy the 991S

These are my preliminary options and questions.

White --exterior (second choice is platinum)
Black full leather --Interior ( had blue but changed it)

Bose
Premium Package Adaptive (non ventilated)
model designation 911
pdcc and PASM
PDK
Sport Chrono
20in wheels
Sport design steering wheel .

Question -
Electric Steering ? Yikes Have no idea --used "for parking" ?
Sport exhaust --The guys in sales say it sounds amazing . I kinda thought I'd opt for aftermarket . Any thoughts .

Did i miss anything ?
Anything to delete (and why) ?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
my experience with the 3 available audio systems:
Bose is NOT worth the extra costs (Base and Bose are both lame),
Burmester is (more) expensive but it is def. worth the costs.
it is amazing and quite a bargain if you consider what their home systems cost!

the sales guy is right, the PSE sounds amazing and i would always prefer OEM stuff if it´s good!

i would add dimming mirrors (they should be standard in any car imho).

P.S. i would go with the black painted Carrera S wheels, cause brake dust and it matches the black interior, But that´s just me.
you probably prefer a shiny, silver look on your wheels.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 04-17-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
my experience with the 3 available audio systems:
Bose is NOT worth the extra costs (Base and Bose are both lame),
Burmester is (more) expensive but it is def. worth the costs.
it is amazing and quite a bargain if you consider what their home systems cost!

the sales guy is right, the PSE sounds amazing and i would always prefer OEM stuff if it´s good!

i would add dimming mirrors (they should be standard in any car imho).

P.S. i would go with the black painted Carrera S wheels, cause brake dust and it matches the black interior, But that´s just me.
you probably prefer a shiny, silver look on your wheels.

I actually prefer the brushed look wheels on a white car . Black wheels--not my style on any car but on a white car it looks like a panda .

The dimming mirrors come with the premium package.

Burmeister just seems so odd to have in a 911 .

Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I actually prefer the brushed look wheels on a white car . Black wheels--not my style on any car but on a white car it looks like a panda .

okay, cause dimming mirrros are really a plus!
wheels are a personal thing, i think it looks more menacing and i really like SM_ATL`s combination
but that´s my 0,02$.

a few weeks ago someone else was asking what he should do,
opt for PSE or really Burmester, he couldn`t afford both.
and i said: "ask yourself what´s more important to you, the epic sound of the flat-6 or the epic sound of your beloved music artists."

BUT if you can afford both, then why not both?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
okay, cause dimming mirrros are really a plus!
wheels are a personal thing, i think it looks more menacing and i really like SM_ATL`s combination
but that´s my 0,02$.

a few weeks ago someone else was asking what he should do,
opt for PSE or really Burmester, he couldn`t afford both.
and i said: "ask yourself what´s more important to you, the epic sound of the flat-6 or the epic sound of your beloved music artists."

BUT if you can afford both, then why not both?
I feel that a 911 ought to have an engine sound that's so good taht music is an afterthought . Burmeister somehow taints this concept . Yet the car has so much luxury that it almost feels like it ought to have a high end system .

That's just part of the confusion .

I figured that bose is the middle ground with music and that a stock exhaust leaves room for aftermarket at some point . But i must say that it's hard for me to imagine a spicy exhaust on a car with this panamera type of interior .

I really am baffled by this car .

Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I love when I watch this sick process happen to someone else other then me; first you deny test drive and talk yourself out of it, then read many threads about the car which peaks your interest, then you test drive and start really thinking about it, now your screwed and the purchase is almost inevitable.

When I test drove it I was not impressed, but I just got out of my modded GT2 before driving the 991, thus my perception was skewed. Then I went to the Master course in Birmingham and got lots of track time in the 991S and the 997.2S back to back. The difference is so damn significant. I too had a heavily modded 997.2S which was faster then a stock 991S, but everything else about the 991S is better. The ride is so much smoother and comfortable, the power and tranny are better, the steering is great, the PSE sounds incredible. All of us at the course did not feel any difference between the electronic steering and the non electronic, nor will you. All 30 of us were amazed at how much better we thought the new 911 was over the previous. If you see them side by side the 997 looks so dated its actually saddening. I think your build sounds great.

I came away from that driving school with the conclusion that the 991S would be the best all around DD, with the best offering of comfort, sportiness, and good mpg.

Stop kidding yourself and just remember to post pics of it when its in your driveway.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 PM
I feel that a 911 ought to have an engine sound that's so good taht music is an afterthought . Burmeister somehow taints this concept . Yet the car has so much luxury that it almost feels like it ought to have a high end system .

That's just part of the confusion .

I figured that bose is the middle ground with music and that a stock exhaust leaves room for aftermarket at some point . But i must say that it's hard for me to imagine a spicy exhaust on a car with this panamera type of interior .

I really am baffled by this car .

lol, yeah i see, confusion all around, decisions, decisions.
tommyleejones knows exactly what you mean:

Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
I love when I watch this sick process happen to someone else other then me; first you deny test drive and talk yourself out of it, then read many threads about the car which peaks your interest, then you test drive and start really thinking about it, now your screwed and the purchase is almost inevitable.

When I test drove it I was not impressed, but I just got out of my modded GT2 before driving the 991, thus my perception was skewed. Then I went to the Master course in Birmingham and got lots of track time in the 991S and the 997.2S back to back. The difference is so damn significant. I too had a heavily modded 997.2S which was faster then a stock 991S, but everything else about the 991S is better. The ride is so much smoother and comfortable, the power and tranny are better, the steering is great, the PSE sounds incredible. All of us at the course did not feel any difference between the electronic steering and the non electronic, nor will you. All 30 of us were amazed at how much better we thought the new 911 was over the previous. If you see them side by side the 997 looks so dated its actually saddening. I think your build sounds great.

I came away from that driving school with the conclusion that the 991S would be the best all around DD, with the best offering of comfort, sportiness, and good mpg.

Stop kidding yourself and just remember to post pics of it when its in your driveway.

I am just not sold on this car . Originally i thought it was a mess and to some degree still find it confusing . Is this a comfort car ? Or is this a sports coupe ? Why isn't it much faster than it is (even slower than my 997.2 modded car) ? Why a 20 percent price hike ?
Why are the black book trade in numbers low when the used retail prices are so much higher ?

That's another issue .. the trade .. once upon a time the disparity of option choices was narrow . So black book in the old days made more sense.

How can black book even come up with a number for a specific year when two identical models can vary in options ranging up to as much as 40K ?
Does that mean if i buy a 991S for 97K instead of 123K that two years from now both cars appear identical on black book ?

I say it isn't and also feel the price on the new car is so high that the exponential loss of buying and trading the car increased into a different domain .

The car woild have to be so amazing and convincing .
I didn't buy one today .
I don't feel my 997.2S is dated . I am not sure if the 991S is a step in the right direction .

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-18-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I am just not sold on this car . Originally i thought it was a mess and to some degree still find it confusing . Is this a comfort car ? Or is this a sports coupe ? Why isn't it much faster than it is (even slower than my 997.2 modded car) ? Why a 20 percent price hike ?
Why are the black book trade in numbers low when the used retail prices are so much higher ?

That's another issue .. the trade .. once upon a time the disparity of option choices was narrow . So black book in the old days made more sense.

How can black book even come up with a number for a specific year when two identical models can vary in options ranging up to as much as 40K ?
Does that mean if i buy a 991S for 97K instead of 123K that two years from now both cars appear identical on black book ?

I say it isn't and also feel the price on the new car is so high that the exponential loss of buying and trading the car increased into a different domain .

The car woild have to be so amazing and convincing .
I didn't buy one today .
I don't feel my 997.2S is dated . I am not sure if the 991S is a step in the right direction .
Yes it is confusing from it trying to be a comfort coupe and a sports coupe, until you embrace the fact that it is indeed both. Some will never embrace that the 911 is comfortable which is understandable.
I also would not too impressed with this car and would have all the same questions as yourself if all I did was the test drive. The drive time and the ability to drive both models back to back gave me a much needed perspective. I forgot to mention that we also got to drive the Cayman R and 997.2 GT3 on the same track. Again all the participants felt the 991S was preferred over the Cayman R and that it felt as fast as the GT3 but lacked its driver connection.
All teasing aside, I would definitely not make a move to this car unless you were very impressed. The depreciation might be quite horrendous with a heavily optioned 991S, so big negative.
The being dated comment was referring mainly to its exterior looks when seen side by side.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Yes it is confusing from it trying to be a comfort coupe and a sports coupe, until you embrace the fact that it is indeed both. Some will never embrace that the 911 is comfortable which is understandable.
I also would not too impressed with this car and would have all the same questions as yourself if all I did was the test drive. The drive time and the ability to drive both models back to back gave me a much needed perspective. I forgot to mention that we also got to drive the Cayman R and 997.2 GT3 on the same track. Again all the participants felt the 991S was preferred over the Cayman R and that it felt as fast as the GT3 but lacked its driver connection.
All teasing aside, I would definitely not make a move to this car unless you were very impressed. The depreciation might be quite horrendous with a heavily optioned 991S, so big negative.
The being dated comment was referring mainly to its exterior looks when seen side by side.
At 130K this car should beat the GTR and it doesn't even come close.
Add to the mix the increase in price plus such a different type of 911 it becomes easier to walk away .

130K used to buy a Turbo .

As for the interior .. the 1960's dash stayed in the car all the way until the late 90's . When porsche made the 996 they tried something different and I even bought two cars (an 00 and an 02) and when they went back to the old school styiing i loved the 997 .

I almost feel that if the 991S was the first 911 ever made I would view it differently . I also feel if it were the first then it may not cost nearly what it does . Part of that car's price is built upon the history of the car .

So this chapter is luxury ?
High priced luxury ?

I am getting older so luxury is kinda nice but that isn't what drove me to look at thse cars when younger . I always thought that when i became an old man i would buy a luxury car . i just never imagined it woid be a 911.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of

If I had the chance to do it all over again I would go with Platinum Silver, it looks spectacular in the 991.
I regret not ordering a sunroof, a car at this price range should have one, even though it looks odd when fully opened.
My base stereo sounds very good, I compared it with the Bose and honestly I think the base is better, Bose sounds louder but muted with no highs and lows.
BTW i have an appointment to paint my CS wheels gloss black for a sportier look but now I am having second thoughts, I dont want my $100k+ sport car to look like a panda

Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 AM
ArashApollo will become famous soon enoughArashApollo will become famous soon enough
Keep in mind, if you chose not to get PSE and go aftermarket, you would have to pay a significant amount more as you would lose value on your stock exhaust (unless you sell it) instead of paying the difference between the exhaust systems. PSE by itself costs somewhere around 6k (I saw this figure awhile ago, might be way off).
Also, you lose the functionality of the on/off button to activate the 'sport' exhaust setting. In case you have not checked it out yet, there are sound samples of the stock exhaust and PSE exhaust on the Porsche car configuration website.

I'm personally going to order mine with BOSE and PSE (hardly ever listen to music in the car, especially when that car has either a nice intake or exhaust, but don't like the idea of having such a nice car with no brand name sound system).

Your build looks great!
Are those adaptive seats the sport plus seats?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by ArashApollo
Keep in mind, if you chose not to get PSE and go aftermarket, you would have to pay a significant amount more as you would lose value on your stock exhaust (unless you sell it) instead of paying the difference between the exhaust systems. PSE by itself costs somewhere around 6k (I saw this figure awhile ago, might be way off).
Also, you lose the functionality of the on/off button to activate the 'sport' exhaust setting. In case you have not checked it out yet, there are sound samples of the stock exhaust and PSE exhaust on the Porsche car configuration website.

I'm personally going to order mine with BOSE and PSE (hardly ever listen to music in the car, especially when that car has either a nice intake or exhaust, but don't like the idea of having such a nice car with no brand name sound system).

Your build looks great!
Are those adaptive seats the sport plus seats?
1) I have not comfirmed an order and am not sure if i will .
2) I agree with you on Bose + PSE .
3) I don't want the ventilated seats --too heavy and I like smooth leather . Pq7 is the option code for adaptive sport plus .

There are lots of negatives

1) My current cars are both faster !!!
2) want more money than black book for mine and I feel the 991 is overpriced so a discount plus a high trade is what it would take .
3) If i wait .. and if the Turbo is amazing .. that might be just enough time to get more use out of my current cars and then decide .
4) not sure if i like the luxury aspect of the new car for a 911 . It's odd to see luxury in this type of car .
5) The car costs 20K more than my 997.2S did . It cost nearly as much as my 07 turbo (in 07) . It costs nearly twice as much as my custom spec M3 .
In terms of performance , practical use , and value I would choose all three of my current cars above this.
6) GTR is 20K less and has my interest as well.

The positives --

1) New car has 4 years of warranty
2) New car will be very comfortable
3) new car is a novelty
4) New car has upgraded PDK

The negatives seem to outweigh.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-18-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 AM
tmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to behold
A few things:

Electric Steering is standard on 991's. I assume you mean Power Steering Plus. I didn't get it but I have not seen any negative reports. I guess if you do a lot of parking in tight areas?

You said PDCC and PASM. Again, PASM is standard on the "S". Did you mean PASM Sport with the additional 10mm lower stance?

A lot of people like the Platinum painted wheels. Maybe a good compromise between standard wheels and the very dramatic black.

You have mentioned the price increase on the new model several times. I don't know what time frame you are using, but the year over year increase appears very small. Actually it's now year over two years, if that makes sense, since the price has not gone up on the 2013's. The 2013 has 20 inch wheels, Navigation and limited slip diff standard (part of standard PTV), and the 2011 997 did not. Also, the car you spec'd above would not cost $130k, more like $118,535.

Sounds like you really want a Turbo and, given the cars you have owned, it would not be surprising if the new S is not enough car for you. I agree that if you buy one now and then trade for a Turbo, it will be an expensive proposition. On the other hand, waiting is no fun!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Larry,

Your current 997 is faster in a straight line. On the track with PDCC the 991 will probable be faster.

I see no pressing need to make a move at this time. The 991 is a different beast than the 997. Better in some ways, maybe not so much in others.

I was leaning towards a toss able base car for use as a DD and a sometime track car. With this buffering issues I am staying to the sides until I learn more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If i buy the 991S