My Front Plate Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 AM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
My Front Plate Install

Well, it happened again. Another "No front license display" ticket. Less than a month after purchase and while still carrying the temporary 30 day tag (in my trunk). So I went ahead and bit the bullet.
No drilling on painted surfaces.
Here are the parts I used:
2 each angle brackets
2 each bolts with nuts/washers
2 each plate screws

I attached the angles to a plastic piece that protects the bumper. This is an unpainted black plastic "lip". This black plastic "lip" appears to be solid plastic. I initially intended to use an insert and a screw but ended up not using the insert at all and just used the screw.

Disclaimer: No painted surfaces were abused, damaged or touched!

Attached Images     
Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Heres a neat idea.....retractable plate.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM
PRUVEIT is on a distinguished road
Love the retractable plate!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nicoff
Well, it happened again. Another "No front license display" ticket. Less than a month after purchase and while still carrying the temporary 30 day tag (in my trunk). So I went ahead and bit the bullet.
No drilling on painted surfaces.
Here are the parts I used:
2 each angle brackets
2 each bolts with nuts/washers
2 each plate screws

I attached the angles to a plastic piece that protects the bumper. This is an unpainted black plastic "lip". This black plastic "lip" appears to be solid plastic. I initially intended to use an insert and a screw but ended up not using the insert at all and just used the screw.

Disclaimer: No painted surfaces were abused, damaged or touched!
Nice job!
I like it, but the pictures are hard to see. Could you take some close-ups?
Also, perhaps a dimension description on the parts and where you got them.

ChuckJ

Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 AM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Nice job!

ChuckJ
I will get better pictures and dimensions of the parts. I got the parts from Lowes.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:51 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BrandonH
Heres a neat idea.....retractable plate
not sure how one would justify buying a retractable license plate bracket

you never see that part of your car when driving nor when parked in the garage and who cares what all those unknown people driving ahead of you see in their rear view mirrors..

another expensive toy to show friends(rhetorical)

here's what I did (so as to not drill holes for the oem holder)(the black one on the left - tow hook mount) :

Old 06-15-2012, 12:05 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Contact your (useless and elected ) state representative that you can make that person a LEGEND. That you can have them WORSHIPPED as a TAX and STATE EXPENSE CUTTER. Here is how:

You explain that the GREAT STATE where you reside can keep the charge for the plates THE SAME and SAVE 50% by just sending one license plate.

You have to speak slowly and use small words because you are dealing with an elected official. It helps to offer doughnuts.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nicoff
I will get better pictures and dimensions of the parts. I got the parts from Lowes.
Fantastic, thanks.

ChuckJ

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Nice job!
ChuckJ
The angle bracket (also known as "corner brace") is an "L" shaped angle 2 inches x 1 inch. I found it laying around in my toolbox. It was red so I painted it black to make it less noticeable. You should be able to find these types of braces at Lowes. Here is a link to a similar item from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ace-01-3404-248-Corner-Brace-2-1/dp/B000OON7T8

The bolt with screw are made of nylon. They are typically sold to secure license plates. I had a few bolts/screws laying around but they were too long so once I tightened the nut, I cut the bolt to allow me to position the plate as close to the bumper as possible. A picture is attached. I can't recall where I bought these but it was either Lowes or Pep Boys. Here is a link to Amazon for something similar:
http://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Accessories-80150-Fasteners-Import-Nylon/dp/B00032K50U

The self-threading screws came with the license plate holder provided by the dealer.

I hope this helps. If you click on the pictures you can see them better.

Attached Images    
Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 AM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MI55LE
not sure how one would justify buying a retractable license plate bracket
Guess I should have explained how I saw this on another forum where someone didnt like having a front plate...so their idea was to only display the plate when they saw the police or were getting pulled over.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:47 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
I think a retractable front plate is a great idea, and plan to have one myself. I don't want to see that ugly sucker when my car is parked. The only real reason authorities want a front plate on your car is so they can nail you with a LIDAR/RADAR gun to reflect it off of.

If the ID reason was so important as they allege, you would have front & rear plates mandated on ALL VEHICLES (including motorcycles) AND ILLUMINATED front plates.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rnl
Contact your (useless and elected ) state representative that you can make that person a LEGEND. That you can have them WORSHIPPED as a TAX and STATE EXPENSE CUTTER. Here is how:

You explain that the GREAT STATE where you reside can keep the charge for the plates THE SAME and SAVE 50% by just sending one license plate.

You have to speak slowly and use small words because you are dealing with an elected official. It helps to offer doughnuts.
amazes me that they haven't looked at it from that perspective. in our Province the provincial police have way too much power & have been able to block any momentum.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:58 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i rested mine on that lower lip and just drilled into the bumper. this placed the plate about 2 or so inches lower & puts it below the side running light lines.

i don't care about the holes. if the next person installs the giant stock plate and bracket they will never see it; if it goes to a no front plate place - just go see Eric and get some paint matched bumper plugs.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
I'd get the retractable plates and keep them hidden all the time until I was pulled over. When the policeman came to the window to tell me why I was being stopped I would tell him, "Are you sure? Last time I looked they were there. Show me."

Think it would work?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
I used magnets...centered and removable without leaving holes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Front Plate Install