Sound Symposer on 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:35 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
All 991 models have it

Old 07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
BnB
BnB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by m5_2010
So,

Symposer is on standard car only.

PSE cars do not have a Symposer?
No, they all have it. PSE just prevents it dominating the aural experience

Old 07-05-2012, 02:08 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
So,

I believe cars with PSE also have Symposer.

ChuckJ

Old 07-05-2012, 02:11 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I was reading in the tech manual that the Symposer is only on in Sport and Sport+, but mine is on all the time. I can't find anything in the owner's manual. Does anyone's turn off when you are not in Sport?

ChuckJ

Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
So,

I am thinking of ordering and would like to know where you got that info. I have not seen anything saying that it would switch on or off by any means and thought that it was just built into all cars. If it truly eliminated with PSE and that would be another reason for getting it.

I don't really mind the sound of it, however it does seem a bit synthetic.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Sloopy
I am thinking of ordering and would like to know where you got that info. I have not seen anything saying that it would switch on or off by any means and thought that it was just built into all cars. If it truly eliminated with PSE and that would be another reason for getting it.

I don't really mind the sound of it, however it does seem a bit synthetic.
My experience with racing old (60s & 70s) Porsche 911s tells me that it sounds just like it did when we took the air cleaners off during the races. That's because that's where they get the sound. The tech manual says it turns on with the Sport Mode button. I think mine is always on.

ChuckJ

Old 07-06-2012, 06:15 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I was reading in the tech manual that the Symposer is only on in Sport and Sport+, but mine is on all the time. I can't find anything in the owner's manual. Does anyone's turn off when you are not in Sport?
I was told that all cars have it and it only gets louder (intrusive) with each driving mode.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Elias74 can only hope to improve
Mmm...i'm very confused.
I LIKE VERY MUCH the sound of my 991, even without PSE. Really, with Sport or Sport Plus Switch turned on, i can feel (ear), better the engine or sounding it better, but i'm really not able to say if there is a substantial difference or the it's because i REV MORE my car in these modes.

Someone can clarify?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Can someone with PSE chime in and let us know... thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Sc00ter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jster
I was told that all cars have it and it only gets louder (intrusive) with each driving mode.
Sport button is standard on all 991. When you activate it, sound symposer activates as well. To be honest when I activate the sport +, I hear way less the sound symposer sound. But the reason could be very simple: sport + you are revving high, so you hear way more the engine. No PSE

Old 12-20-2014, 09:23 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Okay so we've established that Sound Symposer is on ALL 991 models regardless of PSE or not. We've also established that it doesn't sound that great.

Sooo.... how can we fix things?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:41 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by hawc
Okay so we've established that Sound Symposer is on ALL 991 models regardless of PSE or not. We've also established that it doesn't sound that great.

Sooo.... how can we fix things?
I disconnected and plugged mine less than a week after I got the car. Very happy now.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Jim M. will become famous soon enoughJim M. will become famous soon enough
The sound symposer is on all 991's and is active all the time. It is nothing but a tube from the engine compartment to the cabin. It does have a diaphragm in the tube to keep fumes out of the cabin. The diaphragm just repeats the sound waves while keeping out those fumes. When you activate PSE a different diaphragm is activated allowing more exhaust noise, so yes, more sound comes thru the symposer. You can not change the sound coming thru the symposer, but many owners (myself included) reduce the noise by blocking the tube on one or both ends or stuffing foam or rags in the tube. The only way to change the sound frequency of the exhaust system (make it deeper) is to change the exhaust system plumbing and/or mufflers.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:01 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jim M.
The sound symposer is on all 991's and is active all the time. It is nothing but a tube from the engine compartment to the cabin. It does have a diaphragm in the tube to keep fumes out of the cabin. The diaphragm just repeats the sound waves while keeping out those fumes. When you activate PSE a different diaphragm is activated allowing more exhaust noise, so yes, more sound comes thru the symposer. You can not change the sound coming thru the symposer, but many owners (myself included) reduce the noise by blocking the tube on one or both ends or stuffing foam or rags in the tube. The only way to change the sound frequency of the exhaust system (make it deeper) is to change the exhaust system plumbing and/or mufflers.
Great explanation! Well written.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:05 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Sound Symposer (aka drone inducer) is not on all the time. It is not on in Eco mode, but in Sport and Sport+ it opens up with one of our, ahem, favorite Change Over Valves.

The sound is intake noise, so dinstinct from the exhaust noise.

Plugging it (did this in 2012) provides less belching from the intake into the cabin, belching which masks other, to me, more desirable sounds -- mechanical noise from engine and exhaust from outside.

Luckily it is easy to defeat it.

Oh, and the fact that it is not on all the time made it even less desirable to me. It comes on abruptly at whatever the RPM when the valve opens, almost so as to remind you that it is an engineered/piped-in sound.

Last edited by fbroen; 12-21-2014 at 11:14 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sound Symposer on 991