Sound Symposer on 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Sc00ter is on a distinguished road
^^^ Exactly !
Sound Symposer (aka drone inducer) is not on all the time. It is not on in Eco mode, but in Sport and Sport+.

Now, what it can happen as well is that you being in ECO mode and floor the gas pedal, Sport will automatically kick in, without you realizing (either the sport button turning red) and automatically the symposer as well, so you will hear a difference. And you might still think you are in ECO mode, when in reality you are not.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sc00ter
When you're in ECO mode and floor the gas pedal, Sport will automatically kick in, without you realizing (and without the sport button turning red) and automatically the symposer as well, so you will hear a difference. And you might still think you are in ECO mode, when in reality you are not.
Huh? You're saying Sport Mode kicks in temporarily without any warning when you floor the throttle in non-Sport (so-called ECO) mode? You're making stuff up. It most definitely does not.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:50 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jim M.
Sound Symposer is active all the time.
Originally Posted by fbroen
Sound Symposer is not on all the time.
Oh boy.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Nik
Nik is on a distinguished road
The easiest way to silence the symposer is to put a sponge ( or a sock!) in the hole. Alternatively you can put sound-deadening sponge in the space behind the removable panel. I have tried both and it is very effective. However after a few days I went back to stock as the exhaust tone, especially in sports mode (with PSE on), became tiresome during long drives.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:57 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hawc
Huh? You're saying Sport Mode kicks in temporarily without any warning when you floor the throttle in non-Sport (so-called ECO) mode? You're making stuff up. It most definitely does not.
scOOter has a point.
If during a full throttle kickdown, if the PSE turns on, Symposer turns on & PDK upshifts at a higher RPM, then are you in a temporary Sport Mode?
Seems logical the engine mounts would tighten up too, for the high RPM kickdown and upshift.
Could it be Sport Mode on demand?
It does go back to normal quickly though.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 PM
^^^ I haven't ever read/heard anywhere about Sport Mode temporarily turning on without your knowledge when you floor the throttle only to turn off again just as fast without giving you any signs that it has done so.

I know if you use the paddles while in full auto mode it will temporarily put you in manual mode for about 10 seconds before switching you back to full auto again.

But I've never ever heard of this idea that the car would momentarily go full sports mode without telling you.

Seems highly suspect.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:51 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Oh boy.
Hehe, riddle me this, if the symposer is on all the time, why does it have a change over valve...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1392307991

Last edited by fbroen; 12-22-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:55 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
On the temporary 'Sport' -- I get that things change within modes depening on how you drive at he moment. It would be intersting to know if the sportiest 'normal' mode is in fact as sporty as 'sport'. In other words, if there is overlap between the three bands of parameters within the 'normal', 'sport', and 'sport plus', depending on your inputs.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
The sound symposer transmits induction noise from the engine compartment to the interior. A boring tone results when driving at constant rpms. I guess it is easy to conflate that with everything else that can go in in a 991, especially an S with PSE, several throttle response maps, PSAM and dynamic engine mounts to generate so many conflicting theories.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Hehe, riddle me this, if the symposer is on all the time, why does it have a change over valve.
Okay, here's my take on it.

The Sound Symposer is a pipe. Within that pipe is a valve. The pipe is always allowing some noise into the cabin even when the valve is closed. When the valve opens (i.e. by pressing sport mode) you get increased noise into the cabin.

What some people are calling 'sometimes on' is the valve opening. What other people are calling 'always on' is the fact there's always some noise being piped into the cabin - either a little bit or a lot.

But the Sound Symposer itself is simply a pipe and can be neither on or off anymore than a straw can be on or off.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:08 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Okay, here's my take on it. The Sound Symposer is a pipe. Within that pipe is a valve. The pipe is always allowing some noise into the cabin even when the valve is closed. When the valve opens (i.e. by pressing sport mode) you get increased noise into the cabin. What some people are calling 'sometimes on' is the valve opening. What other people are calling 'always on' is the fact there's always some noise being piped into the cabin - either a little bit or a lot. But the Sound Symposer itself is simply a pipe and can be neither on or off anymore than a straw can be on or off.
Great explanation in very simple terms.

Better than BMW pumping in a soundtrack through the stereo system like a video game.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:13 AM
On the temporary 'Sport' -- I get that things change within modes depening on how you drive at he moment. It would be intersting to know if the sportiest 'normal' mode is in fact as sporty as 'sport'. In other words, if there is overlap between the three bands of parameters within the 'normal', 'sport', and 'sport plus', depending on your inputs.
I don't buy this. I've put 13,000 km on my new 991 since May and I've never felt it 'learning' my driving style.

In NORMAL MODE it is quiet and shifts at around 2,000 rpm to always keep the revs very low. It always wants to run as high a gear as possible. The throttle pedal is not the sensitive to inputs and it requires quite a stab at it with your foot to get it to drop down to a lower gear. If you mash it to the floor of course it will drop all the way down to 1st or 2nd (2nd even when you're doing 120km/h!) But it will quickly shift it's way back up the highest gear possible and keep the revs nice and low and the gear nice and high. It does not matter if I'm driving spiritedly or not, this never changes or adapts to my driving style.

In SPORT MODE it lets the engine rev out a bit higher before shifting up to 3,000 rpm. The pedal is more sensitive to the slightest input. The engine is a bit louder (sound symposer valve open) when accelerating. And it's not in such a hurry to get you into 7th gear. You might even find yourself cruising in 6th for a bit, where NORMAL MODE would definitely have you in 7th already. If I drive in a relaxed way SPORT MODE is still the same sportiness. It doesn't change.

I'm very interested in my new PDK system and pay a lot of attention to what its doing and I can assure you it does not 'learn' my driving style.

Anyone who says anything to the contrary better be quoting from a direct PORSCHE source for me to believe him. Like, photograph and upload the manual that says any differently.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:13 PM
From the Driving and Driving Safely chapter in manual. Note "depending on the way the vehicle is driven", "with a sporty driving style," etc.

Select position D for “normal” driving. The gears are shifted automatically according to the accelerator position and speed.

Depending on the way the vehicle is driven (economical, comfortable or sporty driving style) and on the resistance (e.g. uphill), the gear-changing points are shifted towards higher or lower engine-speed ranges.
The accelerator position, driving speed, engine speed, longitudinal and lateral acceleration and the road profile all have an influence on the gear-changing characteristic.

Unwanted upshifts, e.g. when entering bends, are prevented by swiftly releasing the accelerator pedal.

Depending on lateral acceleration, upshifts on bends are not made until the engine-speed limit is reached.

When you brake, and depending on the amount of deceleration, the PDK transmission changes down earlier.
For subsequent cornering, the correct gear is engaged when pressure is applied to the brakes before the bend. The bend is taken in the right gear, and when you accelerate out of the bend you do not have to change down.

With a sporty driving style, downshifts are already initiated when the brake pedal is touched lightly. This further enhances a dynamic driving style.

The PDK transmission temporarily changes to the sportiest gear-changing map, i.e. to the highest possible gear-changing points, if the accelerator pedal is pressed quickly. The transmission accordingly shifts down immediately by one or two gears (temporary downshift).

The transmission no longer selects 7th gear at very high driving speeds.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Yes but that's not 'learning' that's simply reacting to certain specific driver inputs while also calculating the relevant environmental conditions (i.e. turn, hill etc) It's not adapting and changing as it goes. It's not learning. It's just reacting. Big difference.

It's going to react the same way each time in NON SPORT and the same way each time in SPORT to those same inputs and environmental conditions.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Yes, but this does not rule out that there isn't overlap between 'normal', 'sport', and 'sport plus', depending on how the vehicle is driven.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the box is learning Artificial Intelligence-style.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sound Symposer on 991