Suspension noise on new 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
Suspension noise on new 991

Hi

I am having trouble with rear suspension noise, I visited the dealer a couple of time without success. I already ask my mechanic to re-torque the suspension but still having noise.

Tonight I decided to take out the rear carpet, and retightened the strut mounting screws but the noise still persist.

So, I decided to take video to show your guys, I ran a car back and firward over bumps at my house and Hope you can hear the noise.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-di0RAokg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

- it happen 60% of the time when I hit the sharp bumps ???
- some times it happen during the turning or braking even on smooth road ???

Your input is gravely appreciated.

Ps. I live in Thailsnd and no Porsche suspension expert to deal with so please help.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
The noise may have nothing to do with the suspension. Perhaps worth checking if it is coming from sunroof. Some cars have had that.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Sorry, can't identify it as a suspension problem. I would take it to the dealer as it's difficult to figure out in your video.

ChuckJ

Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by iambon
Hi

I am having trouble with rear suspension noise, I visited the dealer a couple of time without success. I already ask my mechanic to re-torque the suspension but still having noise.

Tonight I decided to take out the rear carpet, and retightened the strut mounting screws but the noise still persist.

So, I decided to take video to show your guys, I ran a car back and firward over bumps at my house and Hope you can hear the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-di...e_gdata_player

Ps. I live in Thailsnd and no Porsche suspension expert to deal with so please help.
what did your dealer say? if they can't fix they should at least replace it. if not success send a letter to the corp. hq.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
Hi

I tried to dig out more, I suspect that the problem could be PDCC pump because;

- When it is happened, I can hear the noise every single time, even when I try to slow down my car to 1 km/hr over the bump but the noise is still there!

- When it is not happened, I can run over and over the same bump without any single noise! I did it like 20 times and no noises.

I ran to a few post by cayenne owner with PDCC which has the same symptom as mine. I will ask my mechanic to run PIWIS to Test PDCC tomorrow, wish me luck !

Last edited by iambon; 08-27-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
More importantly, is anyone else having the same problem?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi I asked dealer to reset all false codes then check PDCC values, seem ok then I drive a car back home and no noises! I do not sure that it is PDCC however the most important thing is my car has no strange noise over the bumps or turn... Will update more in a week time.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 AM
grapesmc will become famous soon enoughgrapesmc will become famous soon enough
I have that noise as well. I'll mention the possible PDCC issue to the dealer this week.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
GamoX is on a distinguished road
AAS should be able to fix suspension problem, they have fully trained mechanics in all areas. If they can't fix then ask them to replace it under warranty.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 AM
A nasty noise still does not come back yet! I also forget to mention that when i visited the dealer to ask them to check PDCC, I did ask them to re-torque;

1) Strut mounting to the body (3 nuts), 26 ft-lbs
2) Strut mounting to the piston rod (center nut on the strut), 59 ft-lbs

I do not know if it is the right torque's figures or not, i just search from internet forum for 997 spec.

Now my car is noise/rattles free so happy

Attached Images    
Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
A nasty noise still does not come back yet! I also forget to mention that when i visited the dealer to ask them to check PDCC, I did ask them to re-torque;

1) Strut mounting to the body (3 nuts), 26 ft-lbs
2) Strut mounting to the piston rod (center nut on the strut), 59 ft-lbs

I do not know if it is the right torque's figures or not, i just search from internet forum for 997 spec.

Now my car is noise/rattles free so happy
Congratulations on a great diagnosis job!!! That may help a lot of people!

ChuckJ

Old 03-14-2022, 08:00 AM
Hopingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-di...e_gdata_player

do you still have the video?