Diagnostics tool for 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Diagnostics tool for 991

For those that want to be able to access diagnostics, reset fault codes and service reminders, get live data from on board sensors and generally access much of what is available from the onboard computers (including how much time you spent at the various high/overrev limits) you may be interested in the fairly well priced "Enthusiasts kit" available from www.Durametric.com. $287 buys you a fine system. You use your laptop together with the cable and software provided.
You can use this for up to three cars (identified by the VIN).

If you spend some more you can have unlimited number of cars and also get to change coding where possible.

Supports a large variety of Porsches current and older models and most importantly the 991.

Rainier

Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rainier
For those that want to be able to access diagnostics, reset fault codes and service reminders, get live data from on board sensors and generally access much of what is available from the onboard computers (including how much time you spent at the various high/overrev limits) you may be interested in the fairly well priced "Enthusiasts kit" available from www.Durametric.com. $287 buys you a fine system. You use your laptop together with the cable and software provided.
You can use this for up to three cars (identified by the VIN).

If you spend some more you can have unlimited number of cars and also get to change coding where possible.

Supports a large variety of Porsches current and older models and most importantly the 991.

Rainier
Thanks for the heads up Rainier!

I had Durametric (base kit) from my Cayman and tried to use it on my 991S to reset service interval alerts after the last oil change... but it did not work despite the fact that the Durametric software claims they support the 991 (and that the software could read data from my car).
I went to my indie shop to try the same thing with their Durametric 'Pro' kit with the same result. The OBD cable light flashes once when you send the command to reset the alerts, but the car computer does not seem to register. I then went to the dealer who used the regular PIWIS with no issue of course.

So far, I am sure the issue is not due to my cable or my computer (tried with my base kit and computer and the shop pro kit and computer), so it can must either be my car or the software itself. I was going to contact Durametric over the next few days to find out.

No doubt this will eventually work and be a convenient tool like it was for previous Porsche's

Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting. This looks like just like the Ross-Tech VAG-COM system for Audi / VW, but with different software and a much higher price tag.

I've used my VAG-COM a lot on my RS4 for code pulling and changing coding, so i will likely bite the bullet and buy the Pro kit for my 991 when it arrives.

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Thanks for that,
I'm about to order one so I'll drop them an e-mail to make sure.
I like/need to get my hands dirty so I need this tool working...

Rainier

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Thanks for the heads up Rainier!

I had Durametric (base kit) from my Cayman and tried to use it on my 991S to reset service interval alerts after the last oil change... but it did not work despite the fact that the Durametric software claims they support the 991 (and that the software could read data from my car).
I went to my indie shop to try the same thing with their Durametric 'Pro' kit with the same result. The OBD cable light flashes once when you send the command to reset the alerts, but the car computer does not seem to register. I then went to the dealer who used the regular PIWIS with no issue of course.

So far, I am sure the issue is not due to my cable or my computer (tried with my base kit and computer and the shop pro kit and computer), so it can must either be my car or the software itself. I was going to contact Durametric over the next few days to find out.

No doubt this will eventually work and be a convenient tool like it was for previous Porsche's

Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Dropped them a mail, let's see what comes back.

You are using the latest software for your device ?

Rainier

Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to have to order. Thanks for the heads-up. Looking forward to additional posts.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Dropped them a mail, let's see what comes back.

You are using the latest software for your device ?

Rainier
Yes, downloaded the latest release, but this was one week ago.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by brianja
Interesting. This looks like just like the Ross-Tech VAG-COM system for Audi / VW, but with different software and a much higher price tag.

I've used my VAG-COM a lot on my RS4 for code pulling and changing coding, so i will likely bite the bullet and buy the Pro kit for my 991 when it arrives.

Thanks.
Same kind of deal as VAG-COM (used it for may Audi's and VW). A lot less options/things to tweak for Porsche though, especially with the base kit which allows you to read and reset fault codes and service interval messages. If you want to go deeper, you will need the Pro ($$$!) version. And even then, you must be ready to deal with a 'console' mode to talk directly to the ECU which comes at a high risk.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Got a reply this morning:

Thank you for writing. The Durametric tool for Porsche now includes initial support for the Porsche 991. You will need to use the latest release of version 6, 6.2.1.2, or newer for this support. At this time, support fort the 991 is somewhat limited but includes the ability to read and clear fault codes and reset the service among other features. As our support for the 991 matures, more functionality will be added.

Not sure if you are doing this but when upgrading to the latest version you must first completely uninstall the previous version to ensure that the cable firmware gets updated to include support for the 991. Also you need to switch the emergency flashers on to keep the CAN bus awake.

Hope this helps

Rainier

Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Also you need to switch the emergency flashers on to keep the CAN bus awake.
Did not know about this one!! Will try tonight. Thanks for your help Rainier, much appreciated!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Did not know about this one!! Will try tonight. Thanks for your help Rainier, much appreciated!
Page 25/26 of the manual under "common problems and solutions".

Hope your's comes to life, I'm about to buy one of these. Would be a bummer if it does not work...

Rainier

Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Page 25/26 of the manual under "common problems and solutions".

Hope your's comes to life, I'm about to buy one of these. Would be a bummer if it does not work...

Rainier
I'll post tonight after I tried.
You are right, I should have 'Read the F*cking Manual First' !!!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I'll post tonight after I tried.
You are right, I should have 'Read the F*cking Manual First' !!!
Back home... uninstalled completely, incl the cable driver, reinstalled, checked that emergency flashers were on (not really necessary since the green LED showed that the CANbus was on), and.... still unable to reset service interval messages !

This will take me some more time to find out what is going wrong, but I'll be out of town for a few days.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Back home... uninstalled completely, incl the cable driver, reinstalled, checked that emergency flashers were on (not really necessary since the green LED showed that the CANbus was on), and.... still unable to reset service interval messages !

This will take me some more time to find out what is going wrong, but I'll be out of town for a few days.
Suspected this would be the outcome. I asked Durametric is there is anything they could suggest. Here is their answer. I think you need to give them a call - you are much closer to them than I am. They seem very willing to help.

Rainier

-------------------------------

Thank you for the information. That customer should contact us. It is very difficult to determine the issue through second-hand messages. When was this message posted? Which version of the software was this customer using? What connection procedure did they use? We cannot know the answers to these questions until we communicate with this customer directly.

Owen Sutton
Diagnose Technic
888-854-5523

Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Suspected this would be the outcome. I asked Durametric is there is anything they could suggest. Here is their answer. I think you need to give them a call - you are much closer to them than I am. They seem very willing to help.

Rainier

-------------------------------

Thank you for the information. That customer should contact us. It is very difficult to determine the issue through second-hand messages. When was this message posted? Which version of the software was this customer using? What connection procedure did they use? We cannot know the answers to these questions until we communicate with this customer directly.

Owen Sutton
Diagnose Technic
888-854-5523
Thanks for your help Rainier! I'll shoot them an email with all the details tonight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diagnostics tool for 991