Rear Lettering Placement HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Rear Lettering Placement HELP

I am looking to revert to the factory PORSCHE lettering (am going with PORSCHE 911S) on the rear of my car and ordered the parts online. Unfortunately, the PORSCHE letting came without the correct spacing between the letters. I have looked online for a template without any luck.

Would anyone be kind enough to provide measurements of the spacing between the letters of "PORSCHE"? How many mm between each of the letters? Or if anyone knows of a template like they use at the factory to put the lettering on, please let me know.

I have my dealer checking with the factory but so far, no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
I have just "PORSCHE" and the letters are 4cm apart. Also, the "P" Starts at 14cm from the accent (crease) line that surrounds the left tail light (Also 14cm for the "E" from the Right Tail Light) . Hope this helps.

Last edited by dhill911; 11-26-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dhill911
I have just "PORSCHE" and the letters are 4cm apart. Also, the "P" Starts at 14cm from the accent (crease) line that surrounds the left tail light (Also 14cm for the "E" from the Right Tail Light) . Hope this helps.
Thanks dhill911!!!!! Much appreciated.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
I just looked at the back of mine and the PORSCHE letters are almost touching!
I only have 911 underneath due to Model delete (so no Carrera or S).
Wonder where or why that happened?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DBYT
Thanks dhill911!!!!! Much appreciated.
No Problem. . . . Happy to help

Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
neeko877 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, new around here so I need to get my post count up... Looking to get a 911 next year and am wondering about what I will do on the back too...

DBYT, I would be interested to see the outcome once finished. Porsche made it way too cluttered back there so you are doing the right thing IMO.

I like how you can opt to have "Porsche" and "911" from the factory, but don't like that it doesn't say "S" from the factory. You can tell by the tailpipes but it'd be nice to have it say "911 S" like yours will. Personally however i'd like the "S" in silver like the rest, red stands out a bit. just my personal preference but I think it'll look good either way.

Cheers,
Nick

Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 AM
ale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to all
Darren,

If you think it can help, I can put a piece of paper on top of it and mark the letters one by one, so you can get the exact spacing.

Also, I believe your dealer may have the template for correct spacing. I saw it on the National Geographic Documentary (posted here).

If you want me to do that, i can mail it to you.

Ale

Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I saw a recent video about the Porsche factory. In the segment depicting the installing of the rear body work showed a stencil type metal plate they use to install the lettering. It had cutouts for the letter placement

Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by ale70
Darren,

If you think it can help, I can put a piece of paper on top of it and mark the letters one by one, so you can get the exact spacing.

Also, I believe your dealer may have the template for correct spacing. I saw it on the National Geographic Documentary (posted here).

If you want me to do that, i can mail it to you.

Ale
Thanks for the offer ale! I think I will wait to see whether the dealer can get that stencil template from the factory. If not, I will head to the dealer and make my own template.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by rnl
I saw a recent video about the Porsche factory. In the segment depicting the installing of the rear body work showed a stencil type metal plate they use to install the lettering. It had cutouts for the letter placement
Richard,
I saw that as well, that's why I am getting my dealer to check whether their service dept has it and if not, why not. You would think that every Porsche dealer would have this...

Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Richard,
I saw that as well, that's why I am getting my dealer to check whether their service dept has it and if not, why not. You would think that every Porsche dealer would have this...

Or at least their body shop..

Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM
DIY Letter Placement DONE

After much nashing of teeth and measurement, with a few corrections due to the contour of the rear end, I managed to get the factory PORSCHE lettering back on. Looks straight to me. Also added 911 with a red S.

To my eye, the aesthetics look better than having the 997 Carrera and S on the back. Maybe the chrome lettering provided a more up to date look and I think the font size complements the new back end better.

Now on to the next mod...

Attached Images  

Last edited by DBYT; 11-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
This looks fantastic! Congrats on getting it right.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
After much bashing of teeth and measurement, with a few corrections due to the contour of the rear end, I managed to get the factory PORSCH lettering back on. Looks straight to me. Also added 911 with a red S.

To my eye, the aesthetics look better than having the 997 Carrera and S on the back. Maybe the chrome lettering provided a more up to date look and I think the font size complements the new back end better.

Now on to the next mod...
hmmm, look like it is .01 inch too far to the right to me... please try again ; D

Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Fester
This looks fantastic! Congrats on getting it right.
Thanks Fester...let's see how it looks in the cold hard light of day...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Lettering Placement HELP