Best Tire Pressures For Long Life

Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Best Tire Pressures For Long Life

What's the consensus on PSI for long tire life? I had to replace a punctured rear tire at 3,000 and I was surprised at the amount of wear on the inner shoulder. I'm sure some, if not most, of it is due to the camber.

Also, the standard Pirellis are marked "Outside" on the sidewalls, but there's no directional arrow. Are any of you rotating them side to side to gel stop the waffling wear pattern.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
When I swapped the 20 inch wheels and tires for the 19 inch winter set at 7500 miles, I noticed that there was little or no wear on the tires. Porsche mechanics measurement confirmed this.

Inflated to partial filled car pressure.

While tire inflation is essential alignment and the manner in which you drive tends to have a significant impact on tread life.

It is my understanding that the tires are not to be rotated

Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Absolutely the style of driving an ambient temps matter most. If you are accelerating and braking hard during Texas summers versus just cruising on spring days you're going to have vastly different results irrespective of pressures.

The tires are not directional so they can be rotated left to right - the outside stays outside. This would have appeal if you were tracking the car, bc you would notice the drivers side wear more quickly (assuming you drive on clockwise tracks). That said, a respected tuner recently advised me against that practice - says the tires develop a graining at high speeds and turning them around by switching left to right would cause them to tear as they would now run against the grain. I asked tirerack about this and they said that while that is true in theory and in extreme practice, for normal DE's it should be fine. I'd love to hear from those more knowledgeable.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnl
When I swapped the 20 inch wheels and tires for the 19 inch winter set at 7500 miles, I noticed that there was little or no wear on the tires. Porsche mechanics measurement confirmed this.

Inflated to partial filled car pressure.

While tire inflation is essential alignment and the manner in which you drive tends to have a significant impact on tread life.

It is my understanding that the tires are not to be rotated
I've alway had the inner inch being totally worn out... and I've tried everything from 0 camber to low and high pressure, change in tire brand etc, all to no avail.
The longest I've had tires last on a 911 is 10K (that's kilometers btw!) and that would be down to the canvas on the inside... meanwhile the rest of the tire is at 80%.

This is one of the reasons I've decided to go with PDCC for my 991 C4S we'll see to what degree that actually makes a difference...
Since you've got little to no wear with 7500 miles do you have PDCC?

Cheers!

Old 12-01-2012, 04:02 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
This is one of the reasons I've decided to go with PDCC for my 991 C4S we'll see to what degree that actually makes a difference...Since you've got little to no wear with 7500 miles do you have PDCC?
Sid - I think you will find better tire wear is one of the big advantages of PDCC! I used to cord the outer edges (again, from the track) but now the edges look fine. The outboard has worn quicker than the innerboard (on the drivers side) but overall the wear is pretty even and on the non-drivers side the tire looks great. Overall I got 7600 miles out of the rears (including many track days) so I'm thinking that on the street only, with PDCC, you can easily go 10k miles on them!

Old 12-01-2012, 04:07 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Since you've got little to no wear with 7500 miles do you have PDCC?

Cheers!
No but I have a full leather two tone interior (Porsche could sell the smell if they could bottle it). Perhaps it's the leather?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Sid - I think you will find better tire wear is one of the big advantages of PDCC! I used to cord the outer edges (again, from the track) but now the edges look fine. The outboard has worn quicker than the innerboard (on the drivers side) but overall the wear is pretty even and on the non-drivers side the tire looks great. Overall I got 7600 miles out of the rears (including many track days) so I'm thinking that on the street only, with PDCC, you can easily go 10k miles on them!
Yeah that's right you've got PDCC, thanks for the heads up!!
Tire wear is not the primary reason I decided to go with PDCC but it was a +point for sure so I happy to hear it actually works.

How are you guys finding the Pirelli's... my experience with them has been from mediocre to just plain terrible... but since these were designed specifically for the 911 maybe these are better, are they?

Originally Posted by rnl
No but I have a full leather two tone interior (Porsche could sell the smell if they could bottle it). Perhaps it's the leather?
Pfewwwwhy good thing I ordered full leather too!

Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 PM
How are you guys finding the Pirelli's... my experience with them has been from mediocre to just plain terrible... but since these were designed specifically for the 911 maybe these are better, are they?
I like the Pirellis on the 991 MUCH better than the 997 in both wear and performance, but can't say how they compare to the MPSS on the 991, which are much cheaper. In the 997, I switched to MPSS and it transformed the car -- best "mod" I made and I did almost all of them.

With my 991 recently, I only had to do rears so went with Pirelli again, but then I checked the price of the MPSS afterwards and a full set is barely more than the 2 Pirelli rears!

I keep telling myself that there is no way Porsche put all that time and money into 991 r&d and then picked an inferior tire, but of course there are other factors at play I'm sure, for example maybe a long-term deal with Pirelli, better wet handling at the expense of dry (which I care about much more)...

Last edited by KonaKai; 12-01-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I like the Pirellis on the 991 MUCH better than the 997 in both wear and performance, but can't say how they compare to the MPSS on the 991, which are much cheaper. In the 997, I switched to MPSS and it transformed the car -- best "mod" I made and I did almost all of them.

With my 991 recently, I only had to do rears so went with Pirelli again, but then I checked the price of the MPSS afterwards and a full set is barely more than the 2 Pirelli rears!

I keep telling myself that there is no way Porsche put all that time and money into 991 r&d and then picked an inferior tire, but of course there are other factors at play I'm sure, for example maybe a long-term deal with Pirelli, better wet handling at the expense of dry (which I care about much more)...
Yep I'm feeling pretty much the same way about the whole "tire specific manufacturer combo"...
Which kinda takes me to the following

I have arranged to trade in the stock Pirelli's for MPPS winter tires (incl. install) as soon as it arrives at the dealer and was planning to buy either the Bridgestone Potenza S001 (stock on the Lexus LFA) or the MPSS (305 rears and 245 front)...

Which would you guys go with...
Pirelli's
MPSS
S001

Sorry for the hijack OP but it is kinda related!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Mpss

Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I switched to Michelin many years ago because they:
1. Were more round than others providing less "nervous" steering shake
2. Provided good traction in dry and wet
3. Provided less road noise
4. Wear better (about 25,000 mile life)
5. Were reasonably priced

But the new Pirelli tires on the 991 are much better than their predecessors. I can't wait to see how those that switch to Michelin Pilot Super Sport compare those to the Pirelli's.

ChuckJ

Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 AM
rnl
I have been really impressed by the 19 inch Pirelli Sottozero (below zero) winter tires as well as the stock 20 inch PZero tires.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by I'mAllIn
What's the consensus on PSI for long tire life? I had to replace a punctured rear tire at 3,000 and I was surprised at the amount of wear on the inner shoulder. I'm sure some, if not most, of it is due to the camber.

Also, the standard Pirellis are marked "Outside" on the sidewalls, but there's no directional arrow. Are any of you rotating them side to side to gel stop the waffling wear pattern.

Thanks
Always get a four-wheel alignment with new tires. Based on 80k in my old, original owner 997, just follow Porsche's recommended PSI for various load outs. Was able to get at least 20,000-25,000 miles on the rear tires in the mid-Atlantic states, with enough spirited driving on twisty countryside roads to warrant the replacement of all PASM shocks around 75,000 miles (few jack rabbit starts and no street racing). Hope this helps but it doesn't answer the question for the 991. I've only got about 5,000 miles now so I just don't know the answer for the 991.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, nice chatting with ya!
Back to the OP's original topic...