PSE in normal vs PSE in Sport Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
PSE in normal vs PSE in Sport Plus

I spent the afternoon making the most of the great weather and surrounding windy roads to put some miles on the car. What I found interesting was the difference in exhaust note from the PSE in normal driving mode vs Sport Plus mode.

With PSE on during normal mode, the note is a deeper burble and throatier acceleration. With Sport Plus engaged, the exhaust note is throaty and raspy.

The only way I can describe it is that in normal mode with PSE on, the car sounds like a sports car and in Sport Plus mode, the car sounds like a race car...a noticeably more menacing exhaust note.

Has anyone else noticed this on their cars?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
I thought I was imagining it, but yes I have the exact same symptoms.

There is a distinct difference in the exhaust tone with PSE vs. PSE + Sport mode.

Just sitting in Neutral, the RPM's are higher and the exhaust has a much deeper rumble in PSE+Sport...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to see I was not hallucinating! I knew that in Sport Plus, the engine management is mapped differently and more aggressively but did not realise that it would affect the PSE so much.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Not your imagination guys...
In sport+ the engine runs a LOT richer, not just that but it has also been designed so in sport+ the ignition timing is changed on the over run and at the shifts causing more unburned gases which in turn are then ignited creating that crackle and pop...
Yep this time Porsche actually engineered the sound right into the engine and ecu, not just the PSE.

I think they did an awesome job!
This video is the best example I've come across.

Cheers!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, it's very noticeable (and I haven't even taken it over 4k rpm).
So much so, that I turn it off when driving through my neighborhood at night.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM
00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough00C2Cab is a jewel in the rough
I just tested this out today and there is a huge difference in sound from normal vs sport+ when PSE is on. There is more crackling and popping sounds when sport+ is on. I now drive the car in sport+ and manually shift the PDK so I can hear these wonderful sounds...

Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Please look at the thread I posted and let me know if this is what you are talking about ... I'd really like to hear everyone's feedback.

Here is the link
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ure-thing.html

Basically it says I hear much more gurgles and pops with sport and sport plus on when compared to PSE on only where it just seems to make the exhaust louder ...

Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by af330i
Please look at the thread I posted and let me know if this is what you are talking about ... I'd really like to hear everyone's feedback.

Here is the link
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ure-thing.html

Basically it says I hear much more gurgles and pops with sport and sport plus on when compared to PSE on only where it just seems to make the exhaust louder ...
Agree with the gurgles and pops but I noticed that the tone of the exhaust is very different between the various modes. The car sounds angrier in sport plus compared to normal mode with PSE on.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
LOL I knew I posted a similar reply somewhere... well at the very least I'm consistent!

That said... it's like I'm talking to myself over here.
Tough crowd!
Sid,
Your post was very informative and much appreciated! . Apologies for the delayed response. I must say that after having it in sport plus mode again today, I do love driving it around the twisties in my area...this car is a beast.

Am looking forward to someone coming out with a performance chip that will give the S another shot of giddyup!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DBYT
Sid,
Your post was very informative and much appreciated! . Apologies for the delayed response. I must say that after having it in sport plus mode again today, I do love driving it around the twisties in my area...this car is a beast.

Am looking forward to someone coming out with a performance chip that will give the S another shot of giddyup!
Your welcome.

I have to thank you for that new avatar of yours... because it really help me with my dilemma of going with sport-techno or carrera classic wheels.
I loveeee the way the carrera classics look in your avatar... choice made!

As to the 991 being a beast... I totally agree, anyone whom doesn't, has not put the hammer down in sport+ and are really missing out on a wowwwww moment.

As to a chip... no really officer...I can't help it, it's a beast!!

Cheers!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 AM
Here is a bigger version of the avatar so that you can get a better look at it.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 AM
ale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to all
Darren, I keep staring at the pictures of your car, which is from the outside exactly like mine, because you have some amazing landscapes compared to Long Island....Then i look outside, see her and feel better!

Thank you!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by ale70
Darren, I keep staring at the pictures of your car, which is from the outside exactly like mine, because you have some amazing landscapes compared to Long Island....Then i look outside, see her and feel better!

Thank you!
You are always welcome to drive her down and we can do a twins photo shoot

The area where I live has great driving roads...twisty, cambered country roads set in beautiful surroundings. About to take her on a 200 mile leg stretch...going trap shooting this morning. Beautiful sunny day outside too.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 AM
ale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to all
Well, we'll definitely organize something in Spring...

Those roads are what I am missing in New York and the reason I gave up riding my motorcycles....

Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM
laptin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Your welcome.

I have to thank you for that new avatar of yours... because it really help me with my dilemma of going with sport-techno or carrera classic wheels.
I loveeee the way the carrera classics look in your avatar... choice made!

As to the 991 being a beast... I totally agree, anyone whom doesn't, has not put the hammer down in sport+ and are really missing out on a wowwwww moment.

As to a chip... no really officer...I can't help it, it's a beast!!

Cheers!
So what about "Sport" mode (not Sport Plus) with PSE? Does it sound the same as Sport Plus?

I certainly hope Sport mode would make PSE sound more racy b/c my build doesn't have sports chrono. (Still waiting for it to arrive Feb 2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSE in normal vs PSE in Sport Plus