PSE retrofit doable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM
SxxB will become famous soon enoughSxxB will become famous soon enough
PSE retrofit doable?

I know that there were was a way to retrofit PSE on 997. Its pricy if done via retrofit kit, but once in a while someone is selling their PSE mufflers on ebay, which makes for an opportunity to upgrade on the cheap. Installation of exhaust is easy, but getting vacuum line for the valves and a way to actuate them is probably the more difficult part. On 997, there was a company called Carnewal that offered a small remote fob to turn on PSE.

Personally, I think that PSE is too expensive of an option considering that Porsche is basically just throwing in a couple of valves and a button. But if I could get PSE parts on the cheap on ebay, I would love to take this on as a fun DIY project. What I don't want, is to buy the PSE and end up not being able to make it work.

So, does anyone know if this can be done as a DIY? Do all three mufflers need to be replaced or just side or center ones?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
You can retrofit it on the 991, but it will be a lot more work if you want the button vs having it always on. I was quoted at least 7 hrs of labor if you want the center console button option.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Detroit Shooter is on a distinguished road
I was quoted 3500 installed on an S.

Last edited by Detroit Shooter; 12-08-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 AM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
interesting topic, on the S model, the NON PSE exhaust have values that open up at higher rpm. So wondering if there is a way to keep the values open at all times. Any engineers out there

Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 AM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
I remember reading a post a few months ago about taking out insulation by the sound symposer, the OP said it made the car much louder.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by flyanddive
I remember reading a post a few months ago about taking out insulation by the sound symposer, the OP said it made the car much louder.
That makes for a louder intake sound inside the car, no effect on exterior exhaust sound.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 AM
What is the difference between the PSE exhaust and the S exhaust with valves? Is it just the control of the valves? Does anyone have a photo of the PSE?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flyanddive
You can retrofit it on the 991, but it will be a lot more work if you want the button vs having it always on. I was quoted at least 7 hrs of labor if you want the center console button option.

the wiring for the button is on all of the cars.

Correction, it's not on the base nor is the wiring...

Last edited by rnl; 12-12-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: correcting error
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM
PSE vs Standard

I found a photo.

Here is the Porsche sports exhaust (PSE)

Here is the standard Exhaust on a C2S

Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
those headers look like the alien face hugger creatures off the Alien series

Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I believe they are stock. I am sure the regular s version is because it is my car.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Here is another better photo

Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM

Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
ww007 has a spectacular aura aboutww007 has a spectacular aura aboutww007 has a spectacular aura about
Interesting... did not know it improved the torque curve. Makes me feel better about spending $3000! I'm surprised Porsche does not advertise this performance aspect of the PSE on their web site.

If only we could see this torque curve comparing PSE on vs off...

Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
I see you've found the images I posted in some other threads here... glad it was of use.
I always give some credit to another 6speeder whom took the time to find the images, clean them up, photo-shop them and post them up... but to each their own I guess.

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSE retrofit doable?